Proving Set Subset Relationships to (X/B) and (X/A) Union"

In summary, if A is a subset of B, then (X/B) is not a union of (X/A). This can be proven using the definition of a subset and the fact that A is a subset of B.
chocolatelover

Homework Statement

Prove the following statement:

A is a subset of B if and only if (X/B) is a union of (X/A)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't understand how to prove these types of problems. I was thinking about proving the contrapositive, which would be If A is not a subset of B, then (X/B) is not a union of (X/A), right?

Could someone please show me what to do?

Thank you very much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand what you mean when you say X/B is not a union of X/A. Can you clarify please?

What do "(X/B) is a union of (X/A)" and "(X/B) is not a union of (X/A)" mean? I only know "union" as an operation on two sets.

Oh, and the contrapositive of "if A then B" is NOT "if not A then not B". That is the inverse and the truth of one does not imply the truth of the other. The contrapositive is "If not B then not A" and, here, that would be "If (X/B) is not a union of (X/A) then A is not a subset of B" though I still don't know what "union" means here!

Is it possible that you just meant to have "subset" again? "If X is a subset of B then (X\B) is a subset of (X\A)" is a true statement. (Notice also that I have reversed "/" to "\". "/" implies a division (which is not defined for sets) while "\" is the "set difference".

If that is true, that you want to prove "If X is a subset of B then (X\B) is a subset of (X\A)", I would not try to prove the contrapositive but prove it directly. The standard way to prove "P is a subset of Q" is to say "if x is a member of P" and prove, using whatever properties P and Q have, "therefore x is a member of q".

Here, you would start "if x is a member of (X\B), then x is a member of X but x is NOT a member of B" (using, of course, the definition of "X\B"). Now, what does that, together with the fact that A is a subset of B, tell you about whether or not x is a member of A?

Thank you very much

By "union" I ment that "X is such that x is an element of A or x is an element of B" Could you please show me what to do in this case?

Thank you

Related to Proving Set Subset Relationships to (X/B) and (X/A) Union"

1. What is the purpose of proving set subset relationships?

The purpose of proving set subset relationships is to show the mathematical relationship between two sets, specifically the relationship between a set (X) and its subsets (X/B and X/A union). This helps to establish the inclusion or exclusion of elements in a set and can be used to solve problems in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics.

2. How do you prove a set subset relationship?

To prove a set subset relationship, you need to use logical reasoning and mathematical operations. This can be done by showing that every element in the subset is also an element of the original set, or by using set notation and properties to demonstrate the relationship between the sets. It is important to use clear and concise steps in the proof to accurately convey the relationship between the sets.

3. Can set subset relationships be proven for any type of set?

Yes, set subset relationships can be proven for any type of set, whether it is a finite or infinite set, a numerical or non-numerical set, or a set of objects or concepts. The proof may differ depending on the type of set, but the basic principles of logic and mathematical operations still apply.

4. What is the significance of (X/B) and (X/A) union in proving set subset relationships?

(X/B) and (X/A) union refer to the subsets of a set X. The union of these subsets is used in proving set subset relationships because it represents the combination of elements from both subsets, and demonstrates the relationship between the original set and its subsets. It is an important concept in set theory and can be used to solve complex problems involving sets.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when proving set subset relationships?

Yes, there are some common mistakes to avoid when proving set subset relationships. These include using incorrect notation, making assumptions about the elements in the sets, and using invalid logic. It is important to carefully follow the rules and properties of set theory and to clearly explain each step in the proof. It is also helpful to double check the proof for any errors before concluding the relationship between the sets.