Showing that a half-open set is neither open nor closed

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Closed Set
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the half-open interval [a,b) is not open when a and b are real numbers. The solution involves showing that there exists an x in [a,b) that is not a subset of the interval, and noting that a smaller number can never be equal to the endpoint a. This is sufficient to prove that the half-open interval is not open. The conversation also includes some additional comments and jokes about open and closed sets.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Where ##a,b\in \mathbb{R}##, show that ##[a,b)## is not open.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to show that there exists an ##x\in [a,b)## such that for all ##\epsilon > 0##, ##B_\epsilon (x) \not \subseteq [a,b)##. To this end put ##x=a##, and let ##\epsilon > 0##. Then ##B_\epsilon (x)= (a-\epsilon, a+\epsilon)##, and since ##a-\epsilon < a##, we have that ##B_\epsilon (x) \not \subseteq [a,b)##.

Is noting that ##a-\epsilon < a## enough to prove that one is not a subset of the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a comment. I assume you may have meant half-open interval, not half open set since I can't think of any other setting in which a set may be half open.

WWGD said:
Just a comment. I assume you may have meant half-open interval, not half open set since I can't think of any other setting in which a set may be half open.
The set of molecules forming your front door :biggrin:

Actually, I ruined someone's joke that a set is not like a door, open or closed. A door may be open , closed and locked or closed and unlocked. But I can't think of unlocked open sets ;).

WWGD said:
But I can't think of unlocked open sets ;)
"Many of the perpetually open Denny’s restaurants were built without locks, which was problematic when they decided to close down for Christmas for the first time in 1988."

Related to Showing that a half-open set is neither open nor closed

1. What is a half-open set?

A half-open set is a subset of a metric space that includes one endpoint but not the other. In other words, it is an interval that is closed on one end and open on the other.

2. How can you show that a half-open set is not open?

To show that a half-open set is not open, we can find a point on the boundary of the set that is not contained within the set. Since a half-open set includes one endpoint, this endpoint will be on the boundary and not contained within the set, making it not open.

3. Why is a half-open set not closed?

A half-open set is not closed because it does not contain all of its boundary points. In a closed set, all of the boundary points are also contained within the set, but in a half-open set, one endpoint is not included, making it not closed.

4. What is an example of a half-open set that is neither open nor closed?

One example of a half-open set that is neither open nor closed is the interval [0,2) on the real number line. This set includes the endpoint 0, but not the endpoint 2, making it not closed. It also does not contain all of its boundary points, such as 2, making it not open.

5. How is the concept of a half-open set useful in mathematics?

The concept of a half-open set is useful in mathematics because it allows us to define sets that are neither open nor closed, which can be helpful in certain situations. For example, in topology, half-open sets are often used to define the notion of a limit point, which is important in understanding convergence and continuity.