Proving Integer Coefficients in Polynomial Rings w/ Gauss Lemma

In summary, if f(x) and g(x) are polynomials with rational coefficients whose product f(x)g(x) has integer coefficients, then the product of any coefficient of g(x) with any coefficient of f(x) is an integer. This can be proven using Gauss's Lemma by showing that the coefficients of f(x) and g(x) must be integers.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Prove that if f(x) and g(x) are polynomials with rational co-efficients whose product f(x)g(x) has integer co-efficients, then the product of any co-efficient of g(x) with any coefficient of f(x) is an integer.

My initial thoughts on this are that the exercise seems to be set up for an application of Gauss Lemma since we have that Z is a UFD with field of fractions Q and further we have \(\displaystyle p(x) \in Z[x] \) where p(x) = f(x)g(x) and \(\displaystyle f(x), g(x) \in Q[x] \).

Thus we apply Gauss Lemma (see attached) so

p(x) = (rf(x))(sg(x))

where \(\displaystyle rf(x), sg(x) \in Z[x] \)

But ... where to from here ... can someone please help me advance from here ...

Peter

[This problem has also been posted on MHF]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Prove that if f(x) and g(x) are polynomials with rational co-efficients whose product f(x)g(x) has integer co-efficients, then the product of any co-efficient of g(x) with any coefficient of f(x) is an integer.

My initial thoughts on this are that the exercise seems to be set up for an application of Gauss Lemma since we have that Z is a UFD with field of fractions Q and further we have \(\displaystyle p(x) \in Z[x] \) where p(x) = f(x)g(x) and \(\displaystyle f(x), g(x) \in Q[x] \).

Thus we apply Gauss Lemma (see attached) so

p(x) = (rf(x))(sg(x))

where \(\displaystyle rf(x), sg(x) \in Z[x] \)

But ... where to from here ... can someone please help me advance from here ...

The one thing I would think of is that given

\(\displaystyle p(x) \in \mathbb{Z}[x] \) where \(\displaystyle p(x)=f(x)g(x)\) and \(\displaystyle f(x), g(x) \in \mathbb{Q}[x]-\mathbb{Z}[x] \), there exist some \(\displaystyle r,s \in \mathbb{Z}\) so that \(\displaystyle rf(x), sg(x) \in \mathbb{Z}[x] \) are both primitive polynomials. Gauss's lemma tells us that \(\displaystyle r s \cdot p(x) = rf(x) \cdot sg(x)\) must be a primitive polynomial itself. It follows that \(\displaystyle r,s=\pm 1\), which means that we have deduced that f and g must have integer coefficients after all.

Clearly, if what I said holds, the statement would follow. Either there is some flaw in my logic, or Gauss's Lemma is too powerful a tool for this problem...

TheBigBadBen said:
The one thing I would think of is that given

\(\displaystyle p(x) \in \mathbb{Z}[x] \) where \(\displaystyle p(x)=f(x)g(x)\) and \(\displaystyle f(x), g(x) \in \mathbb{Q}[x]-\mathbb{Z}[x] \), there exist some \(\displaystyle r,s \in \mathbb{Z}\) so that \(\displaystyle rf(x), sg(x) \in \mathbb{Z}[x]\) are both primitive polynomials. Gauss's lemma tells us that \(\displaystyle r s \cdot p(x) = rf(x) \cdot sg(x)\) must be a primitive polynomial itself. It follows that \(\displaystyle r,s=\pm 1\), which means that we have deduced that f and g must have integer coefficients after all.

Clearly, if what I said holds, the statement would follow. Either there is some flaw in my logic, or Gauss's Lemma is too powerful a tool for this problem...

I made a mistake here: r and s are not necessarily integers. Since $r\,f(x)$ and $s\,g(x)$ are primitive, we can only guarantee that $r,s \in \mathbb{Q}$. This is still, however, sufficient; following the proof, we still find that $r\,s=\pm1$, which is enough to tell us that the product of a coefficient from one and a coefficient from the other is an integer.

Related to Proving Integer Coefficients in Polynomial Rings w/ Gauss Lemma

What is Gauss Lemma and why is it important in proving integer coefficients in polynomial rings?

Gauss Lemma is a fundamental theorem in algebra that states that a polynomial with integer coefficients can be factored into two polynomials with rational coefficients if and only if it can be factored into two polynomials with integer coefficients. This is important because it allows us to prove that a polynomial with integer coefficients is irreducible in a polynomial ring, which is crucial in many mathematical proofs.

How is Gauss Lemma used in proving integer coefficients in polynomial rings?

Gauss Lemma is used in a proof by contradiction. First, assume that a polynomial with integer coefficients is reducible in a polynomial ring. Then, using Gauss Lemma, we can show that it must also be reducible in a ring with rational coefficients. However, this contradicts the assumption that the polynomial is irreducible in a polynomial ring, thus proving that the polynomial must have integer coefficients.

Are there any limitations to using Gauss Lemma in proving integer coefficients in polynomial rings?

Yes, there are some limitations. Gauss Lemma can only be applied to polynomials with integer coefficients that are monic, meaning that the leading coefficient is 1. Additionally, it can only be used in polynomial rings with a finite degree.

Can Gauss Lemma be applied to prove integer coefficients in polynomial rings with variables of different degrees?

Yes, Gauss Lemma can be applied to polynomial rings with variables of different degrees. However, the proof may be more complex and may require additional techniques.

What are some real-world applications of Gauss Lemma in proving integer coefficients in polynomial rings?

Gauss Lemma has various applications in number theory, algebraic geometry, and cryptography. It is also used in the construction of error-correcting codes and in the study of polynomial factorization algorithms.