Factor Rings of Polynomials Over a Field - Nicholson, Lemma 1, Page 224

In summary: The ring $R[a]$ (resp. $R[x]$) is isomorphic to the free group on $k$ letters, if and only if the conditions above hold.In summary, the ring $R[a]$ is isomorphic to the free group on $k$ letters, if and only if the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $F$ is $1$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading W. Keith Nicholson's book: Introduction to Abstract Algebra (Third Edition) ...

I am focused on Section 4.3:Factor Rings of Polynomials over a Field.

I need some help with the proof of Part 1 of Lemma 1 on page 223-224.

The relevant text from Nicholson's book is as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4631
View attachment 4632In the above text, we read the following:

"Proof. A typical element of R has the form \(\displaystyle \overline{f(x)}, f(x) \in R[x] \) ... ... "My question is as follows:

Does Nicholson actually mean \(\displaystyle f(x) \in R[x]\) in the above text ... ... or does he mean \(\displaystyle f(x) \in F[x]\) ... ?

If he does mean \(\displaystyle f(x) \in R[x]\) ... can someone please explain the nature of the ring \(\displaystyle R[x] = F[x]/ <h> [x]\) ... it seems a very awkward and bewildering ring ...Hope someone can help ...

Peter
***NOTE***

At the start of the above text, Nicholson refers to Example 1, so to help MHB members appreciate the context of the above extract from Nicholson, I am providing Example 1 as follows:
View attachment 4633

Physics news on Phys.org
It does appear to be a typo, the coset $\overline{f} = f+A$ should be for $f \in F[x]$. It also appears there is another typo when he writes:

$f(x) = q(x)h(x) + (a_0 + a_1x + \cdots + a_{m-1}x^{m-1}),\ a_i \in R$

which should read at the end: "$\dots a_i \in F$".

Last edited:
Deveno said:
It does appear to be a typo, the coset $\overline{f} = f+A$ should be for $f \in F[x]$.

Thanks, Deveno ... that gives me the confidence to go on ...

BUT ... just noticed in the next line we have \(\displaystyle a_i \in R\) ... presumably the author means \(\displaystyle a_i \in F\) ... or \(\displaystyle \overline{a_i} \in R\) ... is that right?Thanks again for your help ...

Peter

Rings, just like groups, have a Fundamental Isomorphism Theorem:

If $f: R \to S$ is a ring-homomorphism, then $\text{ker }f = \{r \in R: f(r) = 0_S\}$ is an ideal of $R$ and:

$f(R) \cong R/\text{ker }f$.

Polynomial rings (for a commutative ring $R$) are "universal simple adjunction rings", if we have a ring $S$ with $R \subseteq S$, and we take any $a \in S\setminus R$, there is a *unique* homomorphism:

$\phi_a: R[x] \to S$ with $\phi_a(x) = a$, that is the identity on $R$.

Explicilty: $\phi_a(f(x)) = f(a)$.

The subring $\langle R \cup \{a\}\rangle$ of $S$ generated by $R$ and $a$, is denoted $R[a]$.

It should be clear that $\phi_a(R[x]) = R[a]$.

Clearly, $a \in \phi_a(R[x])$, since $x \in R[x]$. Also since we can regard constant polynomials in $R[x]$ as elements of $R$, we have $R \subseteq R[a]$, so:

$\langle R\cup\{a\}\rangle \subseteq \phi_a(R[x])$.

On the other hand, $f(a)$ (which is the image under $\phi_a$ of the polynomial $f(x)$) is a finite sum of terms $c_ia^i$, and such sums are in $R[a]$ if each term is, by the requirement of (additive) closure.

The terms, in turn, are products of $c_i$ (these constant polynomials are fixed by $\phi_a$) and powers of $a$, which lie in $R[a]$ by (multiplicative) closure.

Hence $\phi_a(R[x]) \subseteq R[a]$.

In short, our homomorphism $\phi_a$ is surjective, so $R[a] \cong R[x]/\text{ker }\phi_a$.

I urge you to convince yourself that $\text{ker }\phi_a = \{f(x) \in R[x]: f(a) = 0\}$

In the happy case that $R = F$ is a field, we know that $F[x]$ is a Euclidean domain, which is a *much stronger* condition than being a principal ideal domain. So we know that $\text{ker }\phi_a = \langle p(x)\rangle$, for some polynomial $p(x)$.

If we arrange it so that the coefficient of the highest non-zero power of $p(x)$ is $1$, we can identify $p$ uniquely, and we call it the minimal polynomial of $a$ (over $F$).

There is an analogy here with *free groups*-given a set of generators for a group $G$:

$G = \langle g_1,g_2,\dots,g_k\rangle$, we can realize $G$ as a QUOTIENT of the free group on $k$ letters.

The generators of the kernel of the quotient homomorphism are called relators, for example, a cyclic subgroup of order $n$ is a quotient of the free group on one letter, say $X$ (which is isomorphic to the integers), with the single relator, $X^n$: sending the free group to the quotient means that we are identifying $X^n$ and $1$ (in the quotient).

So one often sees:

$C_n = \langle a: a^n = 1\rangle$.

Relators are more typically expressed as "relations": for example, the "abelian relation" is $ab = ba$, and the associated relator is $aba^{-1}b^{1}$, or the COMMUTATOR of $a$ and $b$.

So, how this relates to rings is:

The ring $R[a]$ can be seen as a QUOTIENT of $R[x]$, subject to certain "relations", namely:

$p(a) = 0$ (for whichever $p$ lie in the kernel).

For example, the ring $\Bbb R$ is just a quotient of $\Bbb R[x]$, with the relation: $i^2 = -1$ (the "relator" here is the polynomial $x^2 + 1$).

Deveno said:

If $f: R \to S$ is a ring-homomorphism, then $\text{ker }f = \{r \in R: f(r) = 0_S\}$ is an ideal of $R$ and:

Polynomial rings (for a commutative ring $R$) are "universal simple adjunction rings", if we have a ring $S$ with $R \subseteq S$, and we take any $a \in S\setminus R$, there is a *unique* homomorphism:

The subring $\langle R \cup \{a\}\rangle$ of $S$ generated by $R$ and $a$, is denoted $R[a]$.

Clearly, $a \in \phi_a(R[x])$, since $x \in R[x]$. Also since we can regard constant polynomials in $R[x]$ as elements of $R$, we have $R \subseteq R[a]$, so:

On the other hand, $f(a)$ (which is the image under $\phi_a$ of the polynomial $f(x)$) is a finite sum of terms $c_ia^i$, and such sums are in $R[a]$ if each term is, by the requirement of (additive) closure.

The terms, in turn, are products of $c_i$ (these constant polynomials are fixed by $\phi_a$) and powers of $a$, which lie in $R[a]$ by (multiplicative) closure.

In short, our homomorphism $\phi_a$ is surjective, so $R[a] \cong R[x]/\text{ker }\phi_a$.

I urge you to convince yourself that $\text{ker }\phi_a = \{f(x) \in R[x]: f(a) = 0\}$

In the happy case that $R = F$ is a field, we know that $F[x]$ is a Euclidean domain, which is a *much stronger* condition than being a principal ideal domain. So we know that $\text{ker }\phi_a = \langle p(x)\rangle$, for some polynomial $p(x)$.

If we arrange it so that the coefficient of the highest non-zero power of $p(x)$ is $1$, we can identify $p$ uniquely, and we call it the minimal polynomial of $a$ (over $F$).

There is an analogy here with *free groups*-given a set of generators for a group $G$:

$G = \langle g_1,g_2,\dots,g_k\rangle$, we can realize $G$ as a QUOTIENT of the free group on $k$ letters.

The generators of the kernel of the quotient homomorphism are called relators, for example, a cyclic subgroup of order $n$ is a quotient of the free group on one letter, say $X$ (which is isomorphic to the integers), with the single relator, $X^n$: sending the free group to the quotient means that we are identifying $X^n$ and $1$ (in the quotient).

So one often sees:

Relators are more typically expressed as "relations": for example, the "abelian relation" is $ab = ba$, and the associated relator is $aba^{-1}b^{1}$, or the COMMUTATOR of $a$ and $b$.

The ring $R[a]$ can be seen as a QUOTIENT of $R[x]$, subject to certain "relations", namely:

For example, the ring $\Bbb R$ is just a quotient of $\Bbb R[x]$, with the relation: $i^2 = -1$ (the "relator" here is the polynomial $x^2 + 1$).

Thanks for your generous help ... as you may have guessed I am having a bit of trouble with this section ... so your post will definitely help ...

Just working carefully through your post in detail now ...

Thanks again,

Peter

Deveno said:

So one often sees:

Hi Deveno,

I am slightly perplexed (apologies... ) about the 'big picture' regarding the following text:"Polynomial rings (for a commutative ring $R$) are "universal simple adjunction rings", if we have a ring $S$ with $R \subseteq S$, and we take any $a \in S\setminus R$, there is a *unique* homomorphism:

Explicilty: $\phi_a(f(x)) = f(a)$. "

So I am trying to figure out what is "going on" ... with apologies that I seem to be missing the point ...

It looks at first sight that what you are talking about is an evaluation map when you write:

$\phi_a(f(x)) = f(a)$

but what exactly is the role of \(\displaystyle S\) and why is \(\displaystyle a\) restricted from being an element of \(\displaystyle R\)? For example: Suppose \(\displaystyle R = \mathbb{Z}\) and \(\displaystyle S = \mathbb{R}\)

... then if we have \(\displaystyle f \in R[x] = \mathbb{Z} [x] \)

such that, say \(\displaystyle f(x) = 3x^2 + 2x + 1\)

then why can't we take \(\displaystyle a \in R = \mathbb{Z}\) where \(\displaystyle a = 3\), say

and get \(\displaystyle f(3) = 3.3^2 + 2.3 + 1 = 34\) ...Can you explain the role of S and why we a must belong to S\R ...

I feel I am not fully understanding the big picture here ...

Can you help?

Peter

You *can* take an element in $R$, to "evaluate" a polynomial at an element of $R$.

For example, one can use $x^2 - 1 = (x + 1)(x - 1)$ to factor 8 as a product of 4 and 2. But what we are most often interested in, is leveraging our knowledge of $R$ into a "larger" ring structure, in other words in EXTENDING $R$.

So we look at "polynomials in $a$", where $a$ is some element NOT in $R$. The polynomials that annihilate $a$ (that is $f(a) = 0$) offer us some insight into how this larger ring behaves. In particular, they allow us to derive non-trivial algebraic relations that $a$ observes, often resulting in a much SMALLER ring than $S$ or $R[x]$.

For example, if $R = \Bbb Q$, we can look at the subring of $\Bbb R$ formed by "adjoining" the square root of $2$. If $a = \sqrt{2}$, the ring $\Bbb Q[\sqrt{2}]$ is real numbers of the form:

$\{q + r\sqrt{2}: q,r \in \Bbb Q\}$.

The fact that $a = \sqrt{2}$ is a root of $x^2 - 2$ essentially tells us we needn't look at polynomials of degree > 1, since we can use $a^2 = 2$ to "knock down their degree".

Using an element of $R$ doesn't tell us anything *new*-it's not that we can't do it, it's just not terribly enlightening. We could discover those things just by working within $R$.***********

Here is a simple exploration:

Suppose we wanted to know if we could make a field with $4$ elements. We will take it as given that it is known that $\Bbb Z_2$ is a field of two elements (this can be verified by the field axioms directly).

Let's call our $4$-element set: $F = \{0,1,a,b\}$ (we know we need the two identities).

We begin by asking: what is $1+1$? Since $1 \neq 0$, and $0$ is the additive identity, we know the additive order of $1$ is either $2$ or $4$. The first leads to a field of characteristic $2$, the second leads to the cyclic group $\Bbb Z_4$.

Suppose $1$ was of order $4$, so that it generates $F$. Then $1+1$ must be either $a$ or $b$. Since we have, at present, no way to distinguish these two elements, let us suppose it were $a$.

Now $a^2 = (1 + 1)(1 + 1) = (1)(1 + 1) + (1)(1 + 1)$ by the distributive law (which we must have, if we are to have a field). Continuing:

$a^2 = (1)(1 + 1) + (1)(1 + 1) = (1)(1) + (1)(1) + (1)(1) + (1)(1) = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 0$.

In other words, if $F$ is a $4$-element field, and $a = 1+1$, then $a$ is a zero-divisor, which is a contradiction (fields don't have zero-divisors). This means that $1$ does not generate $(F,+)$, so we must have:

$1 + 1 = 0$.

We can then see, that if we are to have a field:

$a + a = (1)(a) + (1)(a) = (1 + 1)(a) = 0a = 0$, and similarly for $b$.

Thus the additive group is isomorphic to $\Bbb Z_2 \times \Bbb Z_2$ (it is not cyclic, and there are only two "types" of groups of order $4$).

At this point, we can see that we can replace $b$ by $a+1$, since:

$a + 1 = a \implies 1 = 0$ (very bad)
$a + 1 + 1 \implies a = 0$ (just as bad)
$a + 1 = 0 \implies a + 1 = 1 + 1 \implies a = 1$ (also not good).

If we wanted to, we could make the assignment:

$(0,0) \leftrightarrow 0$
$(1,0) \leftrightarrow 1$
$(0,1) \leftrightarrow a$
$(1,1) \leftrightarrow a+1$, but we will not.

So now we have a suitable addition (at least it *appears* so), and we turn to multiplication.

Now $F^{\ast} = \{1,a,a+1\}$ is a group (hopefully!) of order $3$, with $a$ a generator (since $1$ only generates $1$ under multiplication), and as such we have:

$a^2 = a+1$.

This pretty much determines the entire multiplication table:

$a(a+1) = a^2 + a = (a+1) + a = a + (1 + a) = a + (a + 1) = (a + a) + 1 = 0 + 1 = 1$
$(a+1)(a+1) = a^2 + a + a + 1 = a^2 + 0 + 1 = a + 1 + 1 = a$

Now, we could check that:

$x(y + z) = xy + xz$ for all $64$ possible choices of $x,y,z$, but maybe there's a better way...

Note that $(a + 1) + (a + 1) = (a + a) + (1 + 1) = 0 + 0 = 0$.

This means we can write:

$a + 1 = -a - 1$, and so:

$a^2 = a + 1 = - a - 1$, and thus $a^2 + a + 1 = 0$.

So we see that $a$ is a ROOT of the polynomial $x^2 + x + 1 \in \Bbb Z_2[x]$.

Note that neither element $0,1$ of $\Bbb Z_2$ (which is a SUBSET of $F$) is such a root.

Now show that $\Bbb Z_2[x]/(x^2 + x + 1)$ yields a four element set with the same addition and multiplication tables (which coset are we mapping to $a$?).

Conclude that $F \cong \phi_a(\Bbb Z_2[x])$ and is therefore a ring, and since $U(F) = F^{\ast}$ (why?), we have a field.

Deveno said:
You *can* take an element in $R$, to "evaluate" a polynomial at an element of $R$.

For example, one can use $x^2 - 1 = (x + 1)(x - 1)$ to factor 8 as a product of 4 and 2. But what we are most often interested in, is leveraging our knowledge of $R$ into a "larger" ring structure, in other words in EXTENDING $R$.

So we look at "polynomials in $a$", where $a$ is some element NOT in $R$. The polynomials that annihilate $a$ (that is $f(a) = 0$) offer us some insight into how this larger ring behaves. In particular, they allow us to derive non-trivial algebraic relations that $a$ observes, often resulting in a much SMALLER ring than $S$ or $R[x]$.

For example, if $R = \Bbb Q$, we can look at the subring of $\Bbb R$ formed by "adjoining" the square root of $2$. If $a = \sqrt{2}$, the ring $\Bbb Q[\sqrt{2}]$ is real numbers of the form:

$\{q + r\sqrt{2}: q,r \in \Bbb Q\}$.

The fact that $a = \sqrt{2}$ is a root of $x^2 - 2$ essentially tells us we needn't look at polynomials of degree > 1, since we can use $a^2 = 2$ to "knock down their degree".

Using an element of $R$ doesn't tell us anything *new*-it's not that we can't do it, it's just not terribly enlightening. We could discover those things just by working within $R$.***********

Here is a simple exploration:

Suppose we wanted to know if we could make a field with $4$ elements. We will take it as given that it is known that $\Bbb Z_2$ is a field of two elements (this can be verified by the field axioms directly).

Let's call our $4$-element set: $F = \{0,1,a,b\}$ (we know we need the two identities).

We begin by asking: what is $1+1$? Since $1 \neq 0$, and $0$ is the additive identity, we know the additive order of $1$ is either $2$ or $4$. The first leads to a field of characteristic $2$, the second leads to the cyclic group $\Bbb Z_4$.

Suppose $1$ was of order $4$, so that it generates $F$. Then $1+1$ must be either $a$ or $b$. Since we have, at present, no way to distinguish these two elements, let us suppose it were $a$.

Now $a^2 = (1 + 1)(1 + 1) = (1)(1 + 1) + (1)(1 + 1)$ by the distributive law (which we must have, if we are to have a field). Continuing:

$a^2 = (1)(1 + 1) + (1)(1 + 1) = (1)(1) + (1)(1) + (1)(1) + (1)(1) = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 0$.

In other words, if $F$ is a $4$-element field, and $a = 1+1$, then $a$ is a zero-divisor, which is a contradiction (fields don't have zero-divisors). This means that $1$ does not generate $(F,+)$, so we must have:

$1 + 1 = 0$.

We can then see, that if we are to have a field:

$a + a = (1)(a) + (1)(a) = (1 + 1)(a) = 0a = 0$, and similarly for $b$.

Thus the additive group is isomorphic to $\Bbb Z_2 \times \Bbb Z_2$ (it is not cyclic, and there are only two "types" of groups of order $4$).

At this point, we can see that we can replace $b$ by $a+1$, since:

$a + 1 = a \implies 1 = 0$ (very bad)
$a + 1 + 1 \implies a = 0$ (just as bad)
$a + 1 = 0 \implies a + 1 = 1 + 1 \implies a = 1$ (also not good).

If we wanted to, we could make the assignment:

$(0,0) \leftrightarrow 0$
$(1,0) \leftrightarrow 1$
$(0,1) \leftrightarrow a$
$(1,1) \leftrightarrow a+1$, but we will not.

So now we have a suitable addition (at least it *appears* so), and we turn to multiplication.

Now $F^{\ast} = \{1,a,a+1\}$ is a group (hopefully!) of order $3$, with $a$ a generator (since $1$ only generates $1$ under multiplication), and as such we have:

$a^2 = a+1$.

This pretty much determines the entire multiplication table:

$a(a+1) = a^2 + a = (a+1) + a = a + (1 + a) = a + (a + 1) = (a + a) + 1 = 0 + 1 = 1$
$(a+1)(a+1) = a^2 + a + a + 1 = a^2 + 0 + 1 = a + 1 + 1 = a$

Now, we could check that:

$x(y + z) = xy + xz$ for all $64$ possible choices of $x,y,z$, but maybe there's a better way...

Note that $(a + 1) + (a + 1) = (a + a) + (1 + 1) = 0 + 0 = 0$.

This means we can write:

$a + 1 = -a - 1$, and so:

$a^2 = a + 1 = - a - 1$, and thus $a^2 + a + 1 = 0$.

So we see that $a$ is a ROOT of the polynomial $x^2 + x + 1 \in \Bbb Z_2[x]$.

Note that neither element $0,1$ of $\Bbb Z_2$ (which is a SUBSET of $F$) is such a root.

Now show that $\Bbb Z_2[x]/(x^2 + x + 1)$ yields a four element set with the same addition and multiplication tables (which coset are we mapping to $a$?).

Conclude that $F \cong \phi_a(\Bbb Z_2[x])$ and is therefore a ring, and since $U(F) = F^{\ast}$ (why?), we have a field.
Thanks for your help and support, Deveno ...

Just working through your post in detail and reflecting on what you have said ...

Peter

Related to Factor Rings of Polynomials Over a Field - Nicholson, Lemma 1, Page 224

1. What is a factor ring of polynomials over a field?

A factor ring of polynomials over a field is a mathematical concept that involves dividing a polynomial by a specific polynomial, known as a "factor", in order to simplify or factorize the original polynomial.

2. How is the Nicholson Lemma 1 used in factor rings of polynomials over a field?

The Nicholson Lemma 1 is a theorem that states that if a polynomial is divided by a factor that is irreducible, the resulting factor ring will be a field. This lemma is used in proving properties and theorems related to factor rings of polynomials over a field.

3. What is the significance of using fields in factor rings of polynomials?

Fields are used in factor rings of polynomials because they have the necessary algebraic structure to accurately represent the division and simplification of polynomials. Additionally, factor rings of polynomials over fields have many useful properties that make them easier to work with in mathematical proofs and calculations.

4. How do factor rings of polynomials over a field relate to polynomial rings?

Factor rings of polynomials over a field are a type of quotient ring, which is a mathematical concept that involves dividing a ring by an ideal. Polynomial rings are a type of ring, and factor rings of polynomials over a field are created by dividing a polynomial ring by an ideal generated by a specific polynomial.

5. Can factor rings of polynomials over a field be used in real-world applications?

Yes, factor rings of polynomials over a field have many practical applications in fields such as computer science, engineering, and cryptography. They are used to represent and manipulate data in a more efficient and organized manner, and also have applications in error correction and coding theory.