Prove Nonzero Integer Lemma in $F[t, t^{-1}]$

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, the lemma states that if $n$ is a nonzero constant polynomial of $F[t, t^{-1}]$, then $n$ is a nonzero integer if and only if there is a power of $t$ such that $(x-1)/(t-1)\equiv n \pmod {t-1}$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to prove the following lemma:

Let $F[t,t^{-1}]$ be the ring of the polynomials in $t$ and $t^{-1}$ with coefficients in the field $F$ and assume that the characteristic of $F$ is zero.
Then for any $n$ in $F[t, t^{-1}]$, $n$ is a nonzero integer if and only if
  • $n$ divides $1$
  • either $n-1$ divides $1$ or $n+1$ divides $1$, and
  • there is a power $x$ of $t$, so that $\dfrac{x-1}{t-1}\equiv n \pmod {t-1}$

I need some help to prove the direct direction...

We suppose that $n \in F[t, t^{-1}] \land n \in \mathbb{Z}\setminus \{0\}$.

That means that $n$ is a nonzero constant polynomial of $F[t, t^{-1}]$. Since $F$ is a field, $n$ is invertible, i.e., $n \mid 1$.

Is this correct so far?

How can we show the other two points?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the proof as follows?

From an other lemma we have that $(t^n-1)/(t-1)\equiv n \pmod {t-1} \tag {1}$.

Direct:

Let $n \in \mathbb{Z} \setminus \{0\}$, then $n \mid 1$, since $F$ is a field.

It also holds that $n-1 \mid 1$ or $n+1 \mid 1$, otherwise it would be $n-1=0 \Rightarrow n=1$ and $n+1=0 \Rightarrow n=-1$.

From the relation $(1)$ we have that $(t^n-1)/(t-1)\equiv n \pmod {t-1}$, so there is a power $x$ of $t$ such that $(x-1)/(t-1)\equiv n \pmod {t-1}$.

Converse:

We suppose that $n\in F[t,t^{-1}]$ and $n \mid 1$ and $( n-1 \mid 1 \text{ or } n+1 \mid 1 )$ and $(t^k-1)/(t-1)\equiv n \mod (t-1)$.

Since $n\in F[t,t^{-1}]$ is invertible ($n \mid 1$) we have that $n=at^i$, where $a \in F \setminus \{0\}, i \in \mathbb{Z}$.

Since also $n-1$ or $n+1$ is invertible ($ n-1 \mid 1 \text{ or } n+1 \mid 1 $) we have that
$$n-1=b_1t^{j_1}, b_1\in F \setminus \{0\}, j_1 \in \mathbb{Z} \Rightarrow at^i-1=b_1t^{j_1} \\ \text{ or } \\ n-1=b_2t^{j_2}, b_2\in F \setminus \{0\}, j_2 \in \mathbb{Z} \Rightarrow at^i-1=b_2t^{j_2}$$

If $i \neq 0$, then $at^i \pm 1$ has a nonzero root , which is not a root of $bt^j, b \in \{b_1, b_2 \}, j \in \{j_1, j_2 \}$.

So, it must be $i=0$.

So, $n=a \in F \setminus \{0\}$.

Since $(t^k-1)/(t-1)\equiv n \mod (t-1), k \in \mathbb{Z}$ we have that $$k \equiv n \mod (t-1) \Rightarrow n-k \equiv 0 \mod (t-1) \Rightarrow \exists y \in F[t, t^{-1}]: n-k=y(t-1) \Rightarrow n=k+y(t-1)$$
Since $n \in F\setminus \{0\}$, we have that $n$ is nonzero constant polynomial, so it must be $y=0$.

So, we have that $n=k \in \mathbb{Z} \setminus \{0\}$. Is this correct? Could I improve something?

mathmari said:
If $i \neq 0$, then $at^i \pm 1$ has a nonzero root , which is not a root of $bt^j, b \in \{b_1, b_2 \}, j \in \{j_1, j_2 \}$.

Is this root in $F$ or in an extension of $F$ ?

Related to Prove Nonzero Integer Lemma in $F[t, t^{-1}]$

1. What is the Prove Nonzero Integer Lemma in $F[t, t^{-1}]$?

The Prove Nonzero Integer Lemma in $F[t, t^{-1}]$ is a mathematical theorem that states that if a polynomial in the ring $F[t, t^{-1}]$ evaluates to a nonzero integer for all nonzero elements of the field $F$, then the polynomial itself must be a nonzero integer in the ring $F[t, t^{-1}]$.

2. Why is the Prove Nonzero Integer Lemma important?

The Prove Nonzero Integer Lemma is important because it helps in proving the irreducibility of polynomials in $F[t, t^{-1}]$. This is because if a polynomial cannot be factored into smaller polynomials, then it can be considered irreducible.

3. How is the Prove Nonzero Integer Lemma used in mathematical proofs?

The Prove Nonzero Integer Lemma is often used as a tool in mathematical proofs to show that a polynomial in $F[t, t^{-1}]$ is irreducible. It is also used to prove other lemmas and theorems related to polynomials in $F[t, t^{-1}]$.

4. Can the Prove Nonzero Integer Lemma be extended to other rings?

Yes, the Prove Nonzero Integer Lemma can be extended to other rings with similar properties, such as the ring of Laurent polynomials $R[t, t^{-1}]$, where $R$ is a commutative ring. However, the proof may differ slightly depending on the specific ring.

5. Are there any applications of the Prove Nonzero Integer Lemma in other fields of study?

Yes, the Prove Nonzero Integer Lemma has applications in algebraic number theory, particularly in the study of algebraic number fields and their rings of integers. It also has applications in algebraic geometry, where it is used to prove the irreducibility of certain algebraic varieties.