Proving inequality: Can we show n^n * (n+1)/2)^2n ≥ (n+1)/2)^3?

• MHB
  • Thread starter juantheron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, The two inequalities $n^n\geq n^3$ and $n^n\geq n^2$ hold for all $n\ge1$, and $n^n\geq n^3$ for all $n\ge2$.
juantheron
How can we prove $$n^n\cdot \left(\frac{n+1}{2}\right)^{2n}\geq \left(\frac{n+1}{2}\right)^3$$

I did not understand from where i have start.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jacks said:
How can we prove $$n^n\cdot \left(\frac{n+1}{2}\right)^{2n}\geq \left(\frac{n+1}{2}\right)^3$$
At least for $n\ge3$ we have $n>\dfrac{n+1}{2}$, so $n^n>\left(\dfrac{n+1}{2}\right)^3$. Also, $\left(\dfrac{n+1}{2}\right)^{2n}>1$, so it makes the left-hand side even bigger. In general, $n^n$ grows much faster than $n^3$, so it dominates the right-hand side for large $n$.

http://mathhelpboards.com/members/evgeny-makarov/ Thanks, But How i can prove $n^n>n^3$ for $n\geq 3$ without Using Induction.

That should be $n^n\ge n^3,n\ge3$. Taking logs base $n$,

$n\ge3$

jacks said:
How i can prove $n^n>n^3$ if $n\geq 3$ without Using Induction.
The general fact is that the function $a^x$ is strictly increasing for $a>1$ (and strictly decreasing if $0<a<1$). Therefore, $n\ge3$ implies $n^n\ge n^3$ (here $a=n$). For integer $n$ is it obvious because $n^n=n^{n-3}n^3\ge n^3$ because $n^{n-3}=\underbrace{n\cdot\ldots\cdot n}_{n-3\text{ times}}$ and $n-3\ge0$. We have a product of numbers, each of which is greater than 1, and then we multiply the result by $n^3$. It boils down to the property $x>1,y>0\implies xy>y$.

Thanks Evgeny and Greg, But i have a doubt , Here \(\displaystyle \displaystyle n^n\cdot \left(\frac{n+1}{2}\right)^n\geq \left(\frac{n+1}{2}\right)^n\) equality hold for $n=1$

But In your solution you have mention that $n\geq 3$. I did not Understand that.

jacks said:
Here \(\displaystyle \displaystyle n^n\cdot \left(\frac{n+1}{2}\right)^n\geq \left(\frac{n+1}{2}\right)^n\) equality hold for $n=1$
How does it help prove the original inequality?

jacks said:
But In your solution you have mention that $n\geq 3$. I did not Understand that.
This is a wrong thing not to understand. A reasonable thing is not to get a particular part of a proof that is shown to you. For example, it is OK to ask, "How does this inequality follow from the previous one?" But it does not make much sense not to understand something that has not been proved.

I indeed omitted the case when $n< 3$. It is trivial to manually check that the inequality holds for those values of $n$. With some thought it may be possible to construct a single general proof, which does not make a distinction whether $n\ge 3$ or not. Indeed, $\left(\frac{n+1}{2}\right)^{2n}\geq \left(\frac{n+1}{2}\right)^3$ for all $n\ge1$ because for $n=1$ both sides equal 1, but for $n\ge2$ we have $2n>3$.

Thanks evgeny Now i have got it.

Yes you are saying Right actually i have a problem for $n < 3$

and I appolozise for using such word.

Related to Proving inequality: Can we show n^n * (n+1)/2)^2n ≥ (n+1)/2)^3?

What is inequality?

Inequality refers to the unequal distribution of resources, opportunities, and privileges among individuals or groups within a society or between different societies. It can manifest in various forms such as income, education, health, and social status.

What causes inequality?

The causes of inequality are complex and multifaceted, but they can generally be attributed to a combination of historical, economic, political, and social factors. These may include unequal access to education, discrimination based on factors such as race or gender, and unequal distribution of wealth and resources.

How does inequality affect society?

Inequality has negative impacts on society as a whole. It can lead to social unrest, increase crime rates, hinder economic growth, and perpetuate cycles of poverty. It can also create divisions and tensions between different groups and undermine social cohesion.

What are some ways to reduce inequality?

There are various strategies that can be employed to reduce inequality, including implementing policies that promote equal opportunities, providing access to education and healthcare for all, addressing discriminatory practices, and implementing progressive taxation to redistribute wealth.

How can scientists study inequality?

Scientists from various disciplines such as sociology, economics, and psychology can study inequality through research and analysis of data. This may involve collecting and analyzing data on income, education, health, and other indicators of inequality to understand its causes and effects. Scientists can also conduct experiments and surveys to better understand the social and psychological impacts of inequality.