How to sum an infinite convergent series that has a term from the end

In summary: The conversation is about finding the convergence of a series with a large number of terms and determining the value of N for which the series converges with a given error, using Tannery's theorem and the geometric series formula. The final expression for N is provided as a solution.
tworitdash
From my physical problem, I ended up having a sum that looks like the following.

[tex] S_N(\omega) = \sum_{q = 1}^{N-1} \left(1 - \frac{q}{N}\right) \exp{\left(-\frac{q^2\sigma^2}{2}\right)} \cos{\left(\left(\mu - \omega\right)q\right)} [/tex]

I want to know what is the sum when [itex]N \to \infty[/itex]. Here, [itex]\omega[/itex] is where this is computed and [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\sigma[/itex] are constants. Can this be reduced to an expression (a function of variables [itex]\omega[/itex], [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\sigma[/itex]) ?

I proceeded with trying to show that it is indeed convergent. [tex] S_N(\omega) - S_{N - 1}(\omega) = (1 - \frac{N-1}{N}) \exp{\left(-\frac{(N-1)^2\sigma^2}{2}\right)} \cos{\left(\left(\mu - \omega\right)(N-1)\right)} + \sum_{q = 1}^{N-2} q(\frac{1}{N-1} - \frac{1}{N}) \exp{\left(-\frac{q^2\sigma^2}{2}\right)} \cos{\left(\left(\mu - \omega\right)q\right)}[/tex]

This difference goes to [itex]0[/itex] when [itex]N \to \infty[/itex].

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The definition of divergent (as you use in your thread title) is that as N goes to infinity, there is no value it converges to (which necessarily means no expression either).

And this looks pretty plausibly divergent to me inspecting the term ##p=N-1##, so what do you want?

Likes tworitdash
Office_Shredder said:
The definition of divergent (as you use in your thread title) is that as N goes to infinity, there is no value it converges to (which necessarily means no expression either).

And this looks pretty plausibly divergent to me inspecting the term ##p=N-1##, so what do you want?
I have edited the question. I realized that I can have a better sum that is convergent by averaging with [itex] N [/itex].

Last edited:
What does "has a term from the end" mean? Is there a word missing here?

Likes tworitdash, berkeman and WWGD
If you're trying to argue that the sequence is Cauchy, you need to work with ##S_n -S_{n-k} ## (more accurately maybe, ##S_m -S_j ## for generic m,j)and not just consecutive terms ##S_n -S_{n-1} ##. The Harmonic series are a standard (counter) example.

Assume ##\sigma^2 \gt 0##, then ##e^{\sigma^2/2}=x \gt 1##. Therefore series is bounded by ##\sum_1^\infty x^{-q^2}##. Looks convergent.

Likes tworitdash
Just to clarify: what type of object is your ##\omega##? A number, vector, etc? And, just to make sure, your rightmost cos expression is not multiplying part/of the exponent, right?

Likes tworitdash
Mark44 said:
What does "has a term from the end" mean? Is there a word missing here?
I couldn't express myself clearly. The sum has the term [itex] N [/itex]. That is the total number of terms in the series. I just wanted to convey that a term with [itex] N [/itex] is present in the series.

mathman said:
Assume ##\sigma^2 \gt 0##, then ##e^{\sigma^2/2}=x \gt 1##. Therefore series is bounded by ##\sum_1^\infty x^{-q^2}##. Looks convergent.
Thank you for the response. I also think so. If I see the second term of the equation, that goes to [itex] 0 [/itex] when [itex] N \to \infty [/itex] because of [itex] 1/N [/itex] . Therefore the series converges to the first term.

[tex] \lim_{N \to \infty} S(\omega) \approx \sum_{q = 1}^{N - 1} \exp(-q^2\sigma^2/2) \cos(q (\mu - \omega)) \leq \sum_{q = 1}^{N - 1} \exp(-q^2\sigma^2/2) [/tex]

So, if I say that I want a tolerance of [itex] \epsilon [/itex], what should be my [itex] N [/itex].

WWGD said:
Just to clarify: what type of object is your ##\omega##? A number, vector, etc? And, just to make sure, your rightmost cos expression is not multiplying part/of the exponent, right?
The [itex] \omega [/itex] are observation points so they make a vector. And yes, the cosine term is outside of the exponential. It is a different term, not on the exponent.

Likes WWGD
Mark44 said:
What does "has a term from the end" mean?
tworitdash said:
I couldn't express myself clearly. The sum has the term N.
That still doesn't make sense.
tworitdash said:
That is the total number of terms in the series. I just wanted to convey that a term with N is present in the series.
This makes more sense. Writing "has a term from the end" was just confusing. If all you meant that the series has N terms, that is clear when you write this:
$$\sum_{i = 1}^N \text{whatever}$$
The series you wrote has N - 1 terms.
$$\sum_{i = 1}^{N-1} \text{whatever}$$

Likes tworitdash
Since each term involves the number of terms in your (partial) series I suggest you take a look at Tannery's theorem. Once the N is out of the way, what remains is clearly convergent. What it converges to, however, is another matter. Probably not a closed form.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and tworitdash
Mark44 said:
That still doesn't make sense.

This makes more sense. Writing "has a term from the end" was just confusing. If all you meant that the series has N terms, that is clear when you write this:
$$\sum_{i = 1}^N \text{whatever}$$
The series you wrote has N - 1 terms.
$$\sum_{i = 1}^{N-1} \text{whatever}$$
Thank you. Now, I see the correct way of expressing this.

jgill said:
Since each term involves the number of terms in your (partial) series I suggest you take a look at Tannery's theorem. Once the N is out of the way, what remains is clearly convergent. What it converges to, however, is another matter. Probably not a closed form.
Can I still find a [itex] N [/itex] for which this sum converges with an error for example [itex] \epsilon [/itex] ?

I have tried it without the cosine term in the series. It is like the following. To find the [itex] N [/itex], we should show that

[tex] \sum_{q = N}^{\infty} \exp({\left( -\frac{\sigma^2 q^2}{2} \right)}) < \epsilon [/tex]

Using the inequality [itex] q(q-1) \geq N(N-1) [/itex] for [itex] q \geq N [/itex], we have,

[tex] \sum_{q = N}^{\infty} \exp{\left( -\frac{\sigma^2 q(q - 1)}{2} \right)} \exp({-\left( \frac{\sigma^2}{2} q \right)}) < \epsilon [/tex]

[tex] \leq \sum_{q = N}^{\infty} \exp{\left( -\frac{\sigma^2 (N(N-1))}{2} \right)} \exp({-\left( \frac{\sigma^2}{2} q \right)}) < \epsilon [/tex][tex] = \exp{\left( -\frac{\sigma^2 (N(N-1))}{2} \right)} \sum_{q = N}^{\infty} \exp{-\left( \frac{\sigma^2}{2} q \right)} < \epsilon [/tex]

Using geometric series, we have,

[tex] = \exp{( -\frac{\sigma^2 (N(N-1))}{2} )} \frac{\exp{-( \sigma^2/2 N )}}{1 - \exp{( -\sigma^2/2 )} } < \epsilon [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{\exp({-( \sigma^2/2 N^2 )})}{1 - \exp{( -\sigma^2/2 )} } < \epsilon [/tex]

[tex] N > \sqrt{ \frac{2}{\sigma^2} \left(-\log({\epsilon}) - \log({ 1 - \exp{(-\sigma^2/2)} }) \right) } [/tex]

So,

[tex] N = \lceil { \sqrt{ \frac{2}{\sigma^2} (-\log({\epsilon}) - \log({ 1 - \exp{(-\sigma^2/2)} }) ) } } \rceil [/tex]

However, I am not able to do it with the cosine term in it. I will try to show what I have tried so far Let's take [itex] \mu - \omega = a [/itex] and using series expansion of [itex] \cos(aq) [/itex] , we have,

[tex] \sum_{q = N}^{\infty} \exp({-( \sigma^2/2 q^2 )}) \sum_{p = 0}^{\infty} (-1)^{p} \frac{(aq)^{2 p}}{(2 p)!} [/tex]

[tex] \sum_{p = 0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{p}a^{2p}}{(2 p)!} \sum_{q = N}^{\infty} \exp({-( \sigma^2/2 q^2 )}) q^{2 p} [/tex]

Using [itex] v = q^2 [/itex], we have,

[tex] \sum_{p = 0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{p}a^{2p}}{(2 p)!} \sum_{v = N^2}^{\infty} \exp({-( \sigma^2 v/2 )}) v^{p-1} v [/tex]

[tex] \sum_{p = 0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{p}a^{2p}}{(2 p)!} \int_{N^2}^{\infty} \exp({-( \sigma^2 v/2 )}) v^{p-1} dv [/tex]

[tex] \sum_{p = 0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{p}a^{2p}}{(2 p)!} ( \int_{0}^{\infty} \exp({-( \sigma^2 v/2 )}) v^{p-1} dv - \int_{0}^{N^2-1} \exp({-( \sigma^2 v/2 )}) v^{p-1} dv )[/tex] [tex] \sum_{p = 0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{p}a^{2p}}{(2 p)!} ( 2^p (\sigma^2/2)^{-p} \Gamma(p) - \int_{0}^{N^2-1} \exp({-( \sigma^2v/2 )}) v^{p-1} dv )[/tex]

I can't reduce further.

Last edited:
If [itex]\sum_{n=N}^\infty a_n < \epsilon[/itex] and each [itex]a_n > 0[/itex] then [tex]\begin{split}
\left|\sum_{n=N}^\infty a_n\cos(k(n-n_0))\right| &\leq \sum_{n=N}^\infty a_n \left|\cos(k(n-n_0)) \right| \\
&\leq \sum_{n=N}^\infty a_n \\
& < \epsilon.
\end{split}[/tex] So your bound on [itex]\sum_{n=N}^\infty a_n[/itex] will work.

Likes tworitdash
pasmith said:
If [itex]\sum_{n=N}^\infty a_n < \epsilon[/itex] and each [itex]a_n > 0[/itex] then [tex]\begin{split}
\left|\sum_{n=N}^\infty a_n\cos(k(n-n_0))\right| &\leq \sum_{n=N}^\infty a_n \left|\cos(k(n-n_0)) \right| \\
&\leq \sum_{n=N}^\infty a_n \\
& < \epsilon.
\end{split}[/tex] So your bound on [itex]\sum_{n=N}^\infty a_n[/itex] will work.
Ah yes! I completely overlooked this. Thank you. I can indeed just use the term without the cosine.

Likes berkeman

What is an infinite convergent series?

An infinite convergent series is a sum of an infinite number of terms that approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases. In other words, the sum of the series can be calculated to a precise value, even though there are an infinite number of terms.

What is a term from the end of an infinite convergent series?

A term from the end of an infinite convergent series is the last term in the series, or the term with the highest index. In other words, it is the term that is added to the sum at the very end of the series.

Why is it important to know how to sum an infinite convergent series that has a term from the end?

Knowing how to sum an infinite convergent series that has a term from the end allows us to accurately calculate the sum of the entire series, even if it has an infinite number of terms. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific calculations.

How do you sum an infinite convergent series that has a term from the end?

To sum an infinite convergent series that has a term from the end, you can use the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series, which is S = a / (1 - r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. You can also use the formula for the sum of an infinite arithmetic series, which is S = (n/2)(a + l), where S is the sum, n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and l is the last term.

Are there any special cases when summing an infinite convergent series that has a term from the end?

Yes, there are some special cases when summing an infinite convergent series that has a term from the end. For example, if the series has a constant term (a term that does not change), the sum can be calculated by simply multiplying the constant term by the number of terms. Additionally, if the series has a decreasing term (a term that decreases by a constant amount each time), the sum can be calculated using the formula S = (n/2)(a + a - (n-1)d), where d is the common difference.