##1^x =2## has complex solutions?

Arjan82
TL;DR Summary
There's a Youtube video claiming ##1^x=2## has solutions ##x= \frac{-i \ln(2)}{2\pi n}## with ##n \in \mathbb{Z}## and ##n \neq 0##. Is this solid?
The Youtuber 'Blackpenredpen' claims that ##1^x=2## has solutions ##x= \frac{-i \ln(2)}{2\pi n}## with ##n \in \mathbb{Z}## and ##n \neq 0##. Somone else in a forum claims that because ##1^x## is not injective there are more solution branches and this solution mixes these branches somehow. Who is right?

Also, 'Blackpenredpen' does not show that ##1^{ \frac{-i \ln(2)}{2\pi n}}## is indeed equal to 2. He kind of waved it away with 'something something infinite amount of solutions but one of them is 2'. Is this correct?

• Skeptical
Likes renormalize
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let's see.
##1=e^{2\pi i}##.
Take for example ##n=1, x=\frac{-i \ln(2)}{2\pi}##.
We get
##1^x=(e^{2\pi i})^{\frac{-i \ln(2)}{2\pi}}=e^{(2\pi i)(\frac{-i \ln(2)}{2\pi})}=e^{ln(2)}=2##.
Looks right.

(Sorry, I don't watch videos.)

Likes SammyS
And if ##n>1##?

I tend to agree with WA which sees it as an undefined statement.

Before I start any discussion, I want to know how ##1^x## is defined. You can do a lot of nasty tricks with complex numbers that are mathematically just wrong, e.g.
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/things-can-go-wrong-complex-numbers/

(Sorry, I don't watch videos, either.)

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby
Logarithm has many solutions if you do not take the principal branch.

$$\log(1)=0, 2 \pi i, 4\pi i,....$$
and so on. This video plays on that

Likes dextercioby
For ##n=2## I'd take ##1=e^{4 \pi i}##, etc.
I also
fresh_42 said:
want to know how ##1^x## is defined.
I remember the general definition, ##z^w=e^{w log(z)}##.

For those that did not watch the video, here it the derivation. Start with
$$1^x=2$$
Take the logarithm
$$\log(1^x)=\log2$$
Here is heavy lifting part:
$$x=\frac{\log2}{\log1}$$
Then wait that's dividing by zero unless:
$$x=\frac{\log2}{\log(e^{i(0+2\pi n)})}=\frac{-i \log2}{2 \pi n},\forall n\in\mathbb{Z}/0$$

• Informative
Likes Hill
Let's see. I made the mistake of assuming that ##x## is real in my previous posts, sorry.

Say ##x=a+ib.##
\begin{align*}
1=e^{2\pi i}&\Longrightarrow 1^x=1^a \cdot 1^{ib}=e^{-2b\pi }=2\\
& \Longrightarrow b = n\cdot i -\dfrac{\log(2)}{2\pi}\;(n\in \mathbb{Z})
\end{align*}
##a## can obviously be any real number so ##x=a -\dfrac{\log(2)}{2\pi}\cdot i## if I didn't make a mistake again.

Well, within a branch logz of the log, which is a local inverse, ##z^w=e^{w logz}##. Branches are( can be seen as) vertical strips of width ##2\pi^{-}##, or ##[z_0, z_0+ 2\pi)##. Within any of these, the log is in bijection with ##\mathbb C-{0}##.

Then , within that branch:
##1^x=e^{x log(1)}=e^{xlog(ln|1|+iarg(1))}##. Then it all depends on what value of arg is assigned at ##z=1##. Which ,in this setup, would be within ##[ik2\pi, i(k+1)2\pi)##. We then just need an interval ##[iy, iy+2\pi)## containing the value ##iln2##

Or, within a slightly different setup, we use
##re^{i\theta}=r(cos(\theta)+isin(\theta))##
So it seems within a value of ##\theta=cos^{-1}(ln2)##.

Maybe you can argue that ##1^z:=e^{zln(1)}##, is Analytic and thus we can use the mean value to show it assumes the value ##2##.

Last edited:

Related to ##1^x =2## has complex solutions?

1. Why does the equation ##1^x = 2## have complex solutions?

The equation ##1^x = 2## has complex solutions because any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1. Therefore, there is no real number that can be raised to any power to equal 2, leading to the need for complex numbers to satisfy the equation.

2. How do complex solutions arise in the equation ##1^x = 2##?

Complex solutions arise in the equation ##1^x = 2## because the exponential function ##1^x## is not defined for x being a real number. To find solutions, we extend the domain to include complex numbers, leading to the presence of complex solutions.

3. Can the equation ##1^x = 2## have real solutions?

No, the equation ##1^x = 2## cannot have real solutions because any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1, not 2. Real numbers cannot satisfy this equation, necessitating the use of complex numbers to find solutions.

4. How are complex solutions represented in the equation ##1^x = 2##?

Complex solutions in the equation ##1^x = 2## are represented by complex numbers in the form of a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. These complex solutions allow us to find values of x that satisfy the equation.

5. What is the significance of complex solutions in the context of ##1^x = 2##?

The significance of complex solutions in the context of ##1^x = 2## lies in their ability to provide a complete solution set to the equation. Without complex numbers, we would not be able to find any values of x that satisfy the equation, highlighting the importance of complex solutions in mathematics.