Proving Exponential Function Properties with Inequalities | Homework Solution

In summary: This can be done by looking at the patterns in the coefficients and using mathematical induction. Once it is shown that each coefficient is less than or equal to 1, the right side of the equation can be simplified to:exp(∑^n_{j=1}|a_j|)(exp(∑^{m-n}_{j=1}|a_{n+j}|)-1)which is the same as the right side of the original equation. Thus, the given inequality is proved. In summary, we can use the properties of exponential functions to prove the given inequality involving products and sums of absolute values. By rewriting the terms on the left side
mynameisfunk

Homework Statement

For the exponential function [itex]exp(z) = \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{z^n}{n!}[/itex], we know that [itex]exp(z+w)=exp(z).exp(w)[/itex], and that, if [itex]x \geq 0[/itex], then [itex]exp(x) \geq 1+x[/itex]. Use these facts to prove that, if [itex]1 \leq n \leq m[/itex], then

[tex]|\prod^n_{j=1} (1+a_j) - \prod^m_{j=1} (1+a_j)| \leq exp(\sum^n_{j=1} |a_j|) . (exp(\sum^m_{j=n+1} |a_j|)-1)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I simplified to:

[tex]|a_{n+1}+a_{n+2}+...+a_m+a_{n+1}a_{n+2}+...+a_{n+1}a_{n+2}...a_m| \leq \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{(\sum^m_{j=1} |a_j|)^n}{n!} - \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{(\sum^n_{j=1} |a_j|)^n}{n!}[/tex]

from here I had the idea that I could break n=0 and n=1 out of the exponentials since n=0 doesn't yield anything and n=1 yields some individual terms i could subtract from the left side. I am thinking this is the wrong approach though

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I would first double check the given facts to make sure they are correct. The first fact, exp(z+w)=exp(z).exp(w), is a well-known property of exponential functions and can be easily verified by plugging in values for z and w. The second fact, exp(x)≥1+x for x≥0, is also true and can be proved using the Maclaurin series expansion of exp(x).

Next, I would try to understand the problem by looking at the given equation and seeing what it represents. The left side is the difference between two products, each with n and m factors respectively. The right side involves two exponential functions with sums of absolute values of the a_j terms. This suggests that the problem may involve some kind of approximation or estimation.

To prove the given inequality, I would start by using the first fact to rewrite the left side of the equation as:

|∏^n_{j=1}(1+a_j) - ∏^m_{j=1}(1+a_j)| = |∏^n_{j=1}(1+a_j) - ∏^n_{j=1}(1+a_j)∏^{m-n}_{j=1}(1+a_{n+j})|

Next, I would use the second fact to rewrite the second term on the right side as:

|∏^n_{j=1}(1+a_j)∏^{m-n}_{j=1}(1+a_{n+j})| ≤ exp(∑^n_{j=1}|a_j|)exp(∑^{m-n}_{j=1}|a_{n+j}|)

Now, I would expand the exponentials using their Maclaurin series expansions and group the terms with the same powers of ∑^n_{j=1}|a_j| and ∑^{m-n}_{j=1}|a_{n+j}|. This will give a series of terms on the right side, each with a coefficient that is a product of some combination of n and m terms. For example, the term with ∑^n_{j=1}|a_j|^n will have a coefficient of 1/n!. The remaining terms will have coefficients that are products of n and m terms, such as (n+m-1)/(n!(m-1)!).

Finally, I would use the fact that n

Related to Proving Exponential Function Properties with Inequalities | Homework Solution

1. What is an exponential function and how does it relate to inequalities?

An exponential function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = a^x, where a is a constant and x is the variable. It is often used to model situations that involve growth or decay. Inequalities involving exponential functions are used to compare the values of two exponential functions.

2. How can inequalities be used to prove properties of exponential functions?

Inequalities can be used to prove properties of exponential functions by manipulating the inequalities algebraically and using properties of exponents. For example, if a > b, then a^n > b^n for any positive integer n. This property can be used to prove statements about the behavior of exponential functions.

3. Can you give an example of using inequalities to prove a property of an exponential function?

Sure, for example, to prove that the exponential function f(x) = 2^x is always increasing, we can start with the inequality 2^x > 2^y for any x > y. Then, by taking the log base 2 of both sides, we get x > y. This shows that if x > y, then f(x) > f(y), so the function is increasing.

4. Are there any limitations to using inequalities to prove properties of exponential functions?

Yes, inequalities can only prove certain properties of exponential functions. They cannot prove things like the exact value of an exponential function at a given point. Inequalities are also limited by the properties of exponents, so they cannot prove properties that involve more complex operations.

5. How can I use inequalities to solve problems involving exponential functions?

To solve problems involving exponential functions, you can first identify the properties of the function that are relevant to the problem. Then, use inequalities to prove those properties and apply them to the specific problem. It's also important to understand the properties of exponents and how to manipulate inequalities algebraically to solve these types of problems.