Proving Existence of a Point in a Ball of Radius r

In summary: I guess my point is that it's possible that your equation is actually solvable for r/2, and that if that were the case then the point you're looking for would be at (a1+r,1/a1). But again, you haven't given a clear precise statement of the problem, so I'm not really sure what you're expecting from me.
Ryker

Homework Statement

Show that for every a* = (a1, 1/a1), there exists another point of the form (a, 1/a) in a ball (i.e. circle, since we're in R2) of radius r, centered at a*, for any r > 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is actually only a part of the whole problem, but I just can't put it down properly. I've tried various things on squeezing a1 < a < a1 + r, but when I invert it I can't show that 1/a < (1/a1) + r. My logic was that if I did show that, then I'd be able to show that the distance of such a point (a, 1/a) to the original one is less than r. I know just for r it wouldn't work, and I'd have to take r/2 or something, but for now I'm just trying to get to show it for r. Intuitively, I can see that this doesn't always happen for just any r, and that if a1 < a < a1 + r, it doesn't necessarily follow that 1/a < (1/a1) + r.

In any case, help here would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Ryker said:

Homework Statement

Show that for every (a1, 1/a1), there exists another point of the form (a, 1/a) in a ball (i.e. circle, since we're in R2) of radius r for any r > 0.

This is actually only a part of the whole problem, but I just can't put it down properly.

Exactly. And that's probably why there are no replies. The statement of the problem makes no sense.

[Edit] Do you mean that if there is a point (a,1/a) inside the circle then there is another (b,1/b) inside the circle? If so, consider the graph y = 1/x.

Last edited:

LCKurtz said:
Exactly. And that's probably why there are no replies. The statement of the problem makes no sense.

[Edit] Do you mean that if there is a point (a,1/a) inside the circle then there is another (b,1/b) inside the circle? If so, consider the graph y = 1/x.
Oh, sorry, I edited my original post now.

The ball is actually centered at (a1, 1/a1). The thing is I'm not sure what exactly we're allowed to use to prove this. For example, as my first step I've tried solving the equation (x - a1)2 + (1/x - 1/a1)2 = r2 to show that there is always a solution to that, but since this yields a quartic equation with the x as a variable, I can't show that it therefore always has at least one solution. If I was able to show this, then it must also hold true that the equation is solvable for r/2, so that intersection point would then be the point I'm looking for.

Again, though, the problem is that I think I'm supposed to solve this only in terms of sets. That is, instead of y = 1/x, I have a set containing all points, such that x1*x2 = 1. Which I guess is the same, but still.

I'm sorry, but you still haven't given a clear precise statement of the problem. Here's my guess at what the problem is:

Given a circle for radius r > 0 centered at (a,1/a), show there is another point (b,1/b) within the circle.

Is that the problem? Gotta run for now, lunch time.

[Edit] Back from lunch. If b is close enough to a, surely you can make the distance from (a,1/a) to (b,1/b) less than r. You can use the continuity of y = 1/x.

Last edited:

LCKurtz said:
I'm sorry, but you still haven't given a clear precise statement of the problem. Here's my guess at what the problem is:

Given a circle for radius r > 0 centered at (a,1/a), show there is another point (b,1/b) within the circle.

Is that the problem? Gotta run for now, lunch time.

[Edit] Back from lunch. If b is close enough to a, surely you can make the distance from (a,1/a) to (b,1/b) less than r. You can use the continuity of y = 1/x.
No, I think continuity is a no go, since I don't think we're allowed to use it. Any other suggestions? I'd be especially interested in something done by just manipulation of variables, not by more "advanced" methods. But like I said, I tried that, and couldn't come up with anything that would resolve this.

Oh, and yes, that is the problem. How is that different from what I said after the edit, though? :smile:

Ryker said:
No, I think continuity is a no go, since I don't think we're allowed to use it. Any other suggestions? I'd be especially interested in something done by just manipulation of variables, not by more "advanced" methods. But like I said, I tried that, and couldn't come up with anything that would resolve this.

Oh, and yes, that is the problem. How is that different from what I said after the edit, though? :smile:
I suppose since you did say "a* = (a1, 1/a1)" , we should have recognized a* as a point. Then a circle centered at a* makes sense. However, I didn't understand the question until LCKurtz clarified it.

I think the following will work.

If a ≥ 1, let [itex]\displaystyle b=a+\frac{r}{2}\,.[/itex]

If 0 < a < 1, then let [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{b}=\frac{1}{a}+\frac{r}{2}\,.[/itex]

Check details for a < 0 , but it should be similar.

SammyS said:
I suppose since you did say "a* = (a1, 1/a1)" , we should have recognized a* as a point. Then a circle centered at a* makes sense. However, I didn't understand the question until LCKurtz clarified it.

I think the following will work.

If a ≥ 1, let [itex]\displaystyle b=a+\frac{r}{2}\,.[/itex]

If 0 < a < 1, then let [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{b}=\frac{1}{a}+\frac{r}{2}\,.[/itex]

Check details for a < 0 , but it should be similar.
Yeah, but how do we know that the second b is the same as the first one? I mean, if I pick the first b as you suggested, then [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{b}= \frac{1}{a+\frac{r}{2}} = \frac{2}{2a + r}, [/itex] right? But why would that be less than, say, [itex]\frac{1}{a}+\frac{r}{2}\, [/itex] so that I could show that the distance to the center is less than r?

Ryker said:

The problem boils down to getting 1/b close to 1/a. For ease of discussion let's say a > 0 and b > 0.

|1/a - 1/b| = |b-a|/|ab|. Now if a > 0 and we can always choose b > a/2 and close to a. Then ab > a2/2 so 1/(ab) < 2/a2.

|b-a|/|ab| < 2|b-a|/a2.

So as long as b >a/2 you can choose it close enough to a to make that expression as small as you want. You can easily modify it if a < 0.

Ryker said:
Yeah, but how do we know that the second b is the same as the first one? I mean, if I pick the first b as you suggested, then [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{b}= \frac{1}{a+\frac{r}{2}} = \frac{2}{2a + r}, [/itex] right? But why would that be less than, say, [itex]\frac{1}{a}+\frac{r}{2}\, [/itex] so that I could show that the distance to the center is less than r?

Let's see,
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b}=\frac{1}{a}-\frac{2}{2a + r}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =\frac{2a+r-2a}{a(2a+r)}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\frac{r}{a(2a+r)}<\frac{r}{2}[/itex]​

Last edited:

SammyS said:
Let's see,
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b}=\frac{1}{a}-\frac{2}{2a + r}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =\frac{2a+r-2a}{a(2a+r)}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\frac{r}{a(2a+r)}<\frac{r}{2}[/itex]​
:rolleyes: (there's no facepalm smiley) You are right, of course, I missed the a > 1 part, hence the confusion. Thanks for the help to both of you, I'll write it out tomorrow and hopefully I can deal with the other cases myself!​

Related to Proving Existence of a Point in a Ball of Radius r

1. What is the definition of a point in a ball of radius r?

A point in a ball of radius r is a single location that is contained within the boundaries of a sphere with a specific distance from the center, given by the radius r.

2. How do you prove the existence of a point in a ball of radius r?

To prove the existence of a point in a ball of radius r, we can use the Pythagorean theorem and the distance formula to show that the distance from the center of the ball to the point is less than or equal to the radius r.

3. What is the significance of proving the existence of a point in a ball of radius r?

Proving the existence of a point in a ball of radius r is important in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as geometry, calculus, and physics. It allows us to make accurate calculations and predictions about the behavior and relationships of objects within a given space.

4. Are there any limitations to proving the existence of a point in a ball of radius r?

There may be limitations to proving the existence of a point in a ball of radius r, depending on the context. For example, in certain abstract mathematical concepts, it may not be possible to physically demonstrate the existence of a point in a ball of a specific radius. In these cases, we rely on mathematical proofs to show that the existence is logically consistent.

5. How is the existence of a point in a ball of radius r related to other mathematical concepts?

The existence of a point in a ball of radius r is closely related to other mathematical concepts, such as distance, coordinates, and shapes. It is also a fundamental concept in geometry and calculus, where we use it to define and analyze various shapes and their properties.