How to calculate distance in a hydraulic press when you have 2 pistons

• Thread starter arhzz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydraulic
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving two pistons and a fluid. The solution involves using equations to determine the force and displacement of the pistons. The conversation also suggests optimizing the equations before plugging in the numbers.
arhzz
Homework Statement
In a hydraulic press, a small piston with the cross-sectional area a exerts a small force f on the enclosed (incompressible) liquid. A connecting tube leads to a larger piston with cross-sectional area A.

a) Which force F can the large piston counter without moving?
b) The small flask has a diameter of 3.80 cm, the large flask a diameter of 53 cm. What force on the small piston compensates for a force of 20 kN on the large piston?
c) How far does the large piston have to be moved so that the small piston is lifted 0.85 cm?
Relevant Equations
p = F/a
Hello!a) Now here I've simply though "logically" and drew a litle sketch and I think the answer should be 0N.No calculation needed I'd pressume (if needed I don't know how to do it)
b) Here I've used the fact that $$ p1 = \frac{F1}{A1} = \frac{F2}{A2} $$ For the surface I just went with ## A = r^2 * \pi ## (I found online that this is how you calculate the volume of a piston if not please let me know). Than I tried to get F1 and I did that like this $$ F1 = \frac{F2*A1}{A2} $$ Where F2=20000 N, and I get that F1 = 102,81 N.

Now for c) I am kind of stuck.I know it isn't hard but I just can't get a decent idea.What would you suggest for a start?Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
'a' is pretty obvious, agreed.

'b' you don't really need to mention ##P_1## Also, there's no real need to explicitly invoke '3.14159...' : the ##\pi##'s and a few other things in the equations can be canceled out before you plug in the actual numbers.

'c' ... also, pretty straightforwards. How much volume is being moved by displacing piston_1 ? Where does that volume go ?

(assumed is that the pistons and fluid are treated as massless. etc., just in case that's what was making your brain itch in 'c')

Suggested is to optimize the equations first, before plugging in the numbers.

Last edited:
hmmm27 said:
'a' is pretty obvious, agreed.

'b' you don't really need to mention ##P_1## Also, there's no real need to explicitly invoke '3.14159...' : the ##\pi##'s and a few other things in the equations can be canceled out before you plug in the actual numbers.

'c' ... also, pretty straightforwards. How much volume is being moved by displacing piston_1 ? Where does that volume go ?

(assumed is that the pistons and fluid are treated as massless. etc., just in case that's what was making your brain itch in 'c')

Suggested is to optimize the equations first, before plugging in the numbers.
for b) that would make things easier with simply ##\pi##, I'll keep that in mind.

Now for c; Well I think I get what you are aiming for. We can use this ## V1 = V2 ## and the volume equals to ## V = A * s ## Now if we use this property in this sence

$$ A*s = A*D $$ we can get an equation for D $$ D = \frac {A*s}{A}$$ that should give out that D = 0,0437 mm

arhzz said:
for b) that would make things easier with simply ##\pi##, I'll keep that in mind.

Now for c; Well I think I get what you are aiming for. We can use this ## V1 = V2 ## and the volume equals to ## V = A * s ## Now if we use this property in this sence

$$ A*s = A*D $$ we can get an equation for D $$ D = \frac {A*s}{A}$$ that should give out that D = 0,0437 mm
Looks right, but do avoid using the same symbol (A here) with two meanings, particularly in the one equation.

Likes arhzz
haruspex said:
Looks right, but do avoid using the same symbol (A here) with two meanings, particularly in the one equation.
Yea that does make ti a bit confusing,sadly I cannot edit it now but I'm glad my calculation is correct

Thank you!

1. How do you calculate the distance between two pistons in a hydraulic press?

The distance between two pistons in a hydraulic press can be calculated using the formula: distance = (force x area of larger piston) / (area of smaller piston x pressure). This formula takes into account the force applied, the size of the pistons, and the pressure exerted on the smaller piston.

2. What units should be used when calculating distance in a hydraulic press?

The units used for calculating distance in a hydraulic press will depend on the units used for the other variables in the formula. Generally, force is measured in newtons (N), area in square meters (m^2), and pressure in pascals (Pa). Therefore, the resulting distance will be in meters (m).

3. Can the distance between two pistons in a hydraulic press be calculated without knowing the force applied?

No, the force applied is a crucial component in calculating the distance between two pistons in a hydraulic press. Without knowing the force, the equation cannot be solved accurately.

4. How does the distance between two pistons affect the pressure in a hydraulic press?

The distance between two pistons in a hydraulic press is directly proportional to the pressure exerted on the smaller piston. This means that as the distance decreases, the pressure increases, and vice versa.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the distance between two pistons in a hydraulic press?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the distance between two pistons in a hydraulic press. These include the viscosity of the fluid being used, the size and shape of the pistons, and any external forces acting on the press.