Proving Continuity of Derivatives for a Multivariable Function

In summary, for a continuously differentiable function f: R^n --> R, with a point x in R^n, and nonzero vector p in R^n and nonzero real number alpha, the directional derivative of f with respect to alphap at point x is equal to alpha times the directional derivative of f with respect to p at point x. This can be written as (df/d(alphap))(x)=alpha(df/d(p))(x). One way to show this is by using the property that the directional derivative is equal to the dot product of the gradient of f with the direction vector.
bubblesewa

Homework Statement

Suppose that the function f: R^n --> R is continuously differentiable. Let x be a point in R^n. For p a nonzero point in R^n and alpha a nonzero real number, show that
(df/d(alphap))(x)=alpha(df/d(p))(x)

Homework Equations

A function f: I --> R, defined on an open interval, is called continuously differentiable provided that it is differentiable and its derivative is continuous.

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately, I do not have one. Which is why I am in dire need of help. I don't know where to begin. By the way, sorry for the horrible formatting, I am new to the forums.

Edit: Okay, I might have an attempt at a solution.
(df/d(alphap))(x)=<gradientf(x),alphap>=alpha<gradientf(x),p>=alpha(df/dp)(x)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If df/d(p) means the directional derivative of f in the direction p, I think that looks ok.

Oh, sorry. Yeah. I was talking about the directional derivative. I don't know how to write the actual notation for directional derivatives on here. And thank you for your help!

Related to Proving Continuity of Derivatives for a Multivariable Function

What does it mean for a function to be continuously differentiable?

A function is continuously differentiable if it is both differentiable and its derivative is also continuous. This means that the function has a well-defined tangent line at every point and that the rate of change of the function is consistent throughout its domain.

Why is continuity important for differentiability?

Continuity is important for differentiability because in order for a function to have a well-defined derivative at a point, it must also be continuous at that point. This ensures that there are no abrupt changes or breaks in the function, allowing for a smooth and continuous rate of change.

What is the difference between continuous differentiability and differentiability?

The difference between continuous differentiability and differentiability is that continuous differentiability requires the function to be both differentiable and its derivative to be continuous, whereas differentiability only requires the function to have a well-defined derivative at a point.

How can you determine if a function is continuously differentiable?

A function can be determined to be continuously differentiable by taking the first and second derivatives of the function and checking for continuity in both. If both derivatives are continuous, then the function is continuously differentiable.

What are the benefits of a continuously differentiable function?

A continuously differentiable function has a well-defined derivative at every point, which allows for more accurate and precise calculations of rates of change. This is especially useful in fields such as physics and engineering, where precise measurements and predictions are necessary.