Proving a properties of fibonacci numbers

In summary, the property p[n] of Fibonacci numbers can be proven by induction, and a proof using weak induction is sufficient.
John112
Let p[n] be the following property of Fibonacci numbers:
p[n]: f[itex]_{n+1}[/itex] * f[itex]_{n-1}[/itex] - (f[itex]_{n}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] = (-1)[itex]^{n}[/itex]. Prove p[n] by induction.

This is the proof I wrote. i used regular induction. Is weak induction sufficient to prove it or do I need to prove this by strong induction?

proof:

BASE STEP: p[1]: f[itex]_{2}[/itex] * f[itex]_{0}[/itex] - (f[itex]_{1}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] = (1 * 0) - 1 = -1

and (-1)[itex]^{1}[/itex] = -1

INDUCTIVE STEP:

assume P[k]: f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex] * f[itex]_{k-1}[/itex] - (f[itex]_{k}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] = (-1)[itex]^{k}[/itex]

show p[k+1]: f[itex]_{k+2}[/itex] * f[itex]_{k}[/itex] - (f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] = (-1)[itex]^{k+1}[/itex]
We know f[itex]_{k+2}[/itex] = f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex] + f[itex]_{k}[/itex]

p[K+1]: f[itex]_{k+2}[/itex] * f[itex]_{k}[/itex] - (f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] = (-1)[itex]^{k+1}[/itex]

substitute f[itex]_{k+2}[/itex] = f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex] + f[itex]_{k}[/itex] into p[k+1]

p[k+1]: (f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex] + f[itex]_{k}[/itex]) * f[itex]_{k}[/itex] - (f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] = (-1)[itex]^{k+1}[/itex]

= f[itex]_{k}[/itex] * f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex] + (f[itex]_{k}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] - (f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex]

We know p[k]: f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex] * f[itex]_{k-1}[/itex] - (f[itex]_{k}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] = (-1)[itex]^{k}[/itex]

We can rewrite p[k] as: (f[itex]_{k}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] = f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex] * f[itex]_{k-1}[/itex] - (-1)[itex]^{k}[/itex]

We substitue (f[itex]_{k}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] from p[k] into the (f[itex]_{k}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] in p[k+1] = f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex] + f[itex]_{k}[/itex] + f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex] * f[itex]_{k-1}[/itex] - (-1)[itex]^{k}[/itex] - f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex])

= f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex] (f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex] + f[itex]_{k}[/itex]) (-1)[itex]^{k}[/itex] - f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex])

= (f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex]) - (-1)[itex]^{k}[/itex] - (f[itex]_{k+1}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex])

= - ((-1)[itex]^{k}[/itex])

= (-1)[itex]^{k+1}[/itex]Does this proof strong enough or would I have to do this by strong induction? If by strong induction, how do I got about proving it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Every valid proof with weak induction is a valid proof with strong induction, too (and this is the first time I saw specific words for them). Your proof uses valid steps only, therefore it is valid. There is no need to do more.

Related to Proving a properties of fibonacci numbers

1. What is the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is a mathematical sequence in which each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting from 0 and 1. The sequence goes like this: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, etc.

2. How do you prove that a number is a Fibonacci number?

A number can be proven to be a Fibonacci number if it can be expressed as the sum of two preceding numbers in the sequence. For example, 13 can be expressed as 8+5, making it a Fibonacci number.

3. Is there a formula for finding Fibonacci numbers?

Yes, there is a formula for finding the nth Fibonacci number, which is Fn = (1+√5)n - (1-√5)n / 2n√5. However, this formula only works for large values of n and may not be accurate for smaller values.

4. How are Fibonacci numbers related to nature?

Fibonacci numbers are found in many natural phenomena, such as the arrangement of leaves on a stem, the branching of trees, and the spiral patterns in shells. This is because the Fibonacci sequence can be used to model the growth of many living organisms.

5. Can Fibonacci numbers be proven to continue infinitely?

Yes, it has been proven that the Fibonacci sequence continues infinitely. This is because the sequence is recursive, meaning each number depends on the two preceding numbers. As long as this pattern continues, the sequence will continue infinitely.