Proving" 2=1: Creative Ideas & Examples

• Thread starter T@P
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, the conversation is about different ways to "prove" that 2 equals 1, even though it is not actually true. Examples include using complex numbers and manipulating equations. Some other ideas mentioned are using imaginary numbers and exploring the properties of different groups. However, these proofs rely on incorrect assumptions or rules, making them invalid.
T@P
Hey can everyone please post any/all ways they know of "proving" 2 =1? obviously they are all wrong, but some are more "convinving" than others.

For example, here's an old one to start:

e^(2*pi *i) = 1, so ln (e^(2*pi *i)) = ln (1) or 2 * pi * i = 0

clearly pi != 0 and i != 0 so 2 = 0. Although this dosent *prove* 2 = 1, from 2= 0 you can really show that almost anything is true.

any other ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't seen that version. The only "proof" I've seen is http://mcraefamily.com/MathHelp/JokeProofFactoring.htm .

If you can't spot what's wrong with it, it's the dividing by a^2 - ab as you're dividing by a(a - b), which is 0 as a = b.

Last edited by a moderator:
But of course in actuallity:

e^(2*pi*k*i) = 1

And when you take the log of both sides it's the k that is equal to 0.

It's no diffrent from saying sin(2*pi) = 0, so 2=0

ln z is a multivalued function in C

ln z = |ln z| + iarg(z)

therefore ln e2πi = 2πi + n2πi for all n in Z.

anyother ways? there are more such as:

1/(-1) = (-1) /1
taking the square root of both sides yeilds:
1/i = i/1 or -1 = 1, 2 = 0

You seem to enjoy these kind of "proofs" T@P. I think most of the ones here were already posted here , with a bit of changing around. I love the last one in that thread, it actually stumped my Calculus I teacher, but not my TA though, not even for a second (he's working on his doctorate, my instructor has been teaching for about 25 years). These problems are fun for me now, I finally understand enough math to get what they are saying! :smile:

Question: not a Answer...consider the honey bee cell, regular hexagon, with side length is 'R'. we can find the distance between the adjacent cells, regular hexagons, centre's are sqroot3*R. how we can find the distance between the centre's of a cell's which are not adjacent

Give any group of order infinite, every element of that group is of finite order?

suresh_jeans said:
Give any group of order infinite, every element of that group is of finite order?

For any particular infinite cardinality [itex]C[/itex], take the subgroup of [itex]S_C[/itex] which only contains permutations that permute a finite number of elements.

(1) X = Y Given
(2) X^2 = XY Multiply both sides by X
(3) X^2 - Y^2 = XY - Y^2 Subtract Y^2 from both sides
(4) (X+Y)(X-Y) = Y(X-Y) Factor both sides
(5) (X+Y) = Y Cancel out common factors
(6) Y+Y = Y Substitute in from line (1)
(7) 2Y = Y Collect the Y's
(8) 2 = 1 Divide both sides by Y

thats fancily dividing by 0, since x = y you cannot divide by (x-y)

i was looking more for proofs that rely on little known rules, but thanks for your input anyway :)

Here's one:

(-x)^2 = x^2
log[(-x)^2] = log(x^2)
2 log(-x) = 2 log(x)
log (-x) = log (x)
-x = x
-1 = 1

Related to Proving" 2=1: Creative Ideas & Examples

1. What Is the Concept of "Proving" 2=1?

The concept of "proving" 2=1 refers to the idea of finding evidence or logical arguments to support the statement that 2 is equal to 1. It is often used as a thought experiment in mathematics to challenge our understanding of basic principles and logic.

2. Is It Actually Possible to Prove That 2=1?

No, it is not possible to prove that 2=1. This statement goes against the fundamental principles of mathematics and is therefore not true. However, it can be a fun exercise to explore creative ideas and examples that appear to "prove" it.

3. What Are Some Creative Ideas That "Prove" 2=1?

One example is the famous "proof" using algebraic manipulation:
2 = 1
2 + 1 = 1 + 1
3 = 2
2 = 1
Another example is the "proof" using infinite series:
1 = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ...
1 = 1 + (1 + 1) + (1 + 1 + 1) + (1 + 1 + 1 + 1) + ...
1 = 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + ...
1 = 2(1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + ...)
1 = 2(1)
1 = 2
2 = 1

4. How Can We Explain the Flaws in These "Proofs"?

The flaws in these "proofs" lie in the incorrect use of mathematical operations and principles. In the first example, dividing both sides by (2-1) is not allowed as it is dividing by zero. In the second example, rearranging an infinite series in this way is not mathematically valid.

5. What Is the Purpose of Exploring "Proving" 2=1?

The purpose of this exercise is to challenge our thinking and understanding of basic mathematical concepts. It can also be a fun and creative way to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills. However, it is important to remember that 2 does not actually equal 1 and these "proofs" are not valid in mathematics.