Proving "-1 = 1" Wrong: Ideas?

• Thread starter Rectifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary, there is a misconception about square roots that often leads to confusion and incorrect mathematical expressions. The symbol ##\sqrt{a}## represents the positive square root of a, not both positive and negative square roots.
Rectifier
Gold Member
Hey there!
These is this falsidical paradox that I can't seem to prove wrong.

## -1 = (-1)^1 = (-1)^\frac{1}{1}= (-1)^\frac{2}{2} = (-1)^{\frac{2}{1} \cdot \frac{1}{2}} = (-1)^{2 \cdot \frac{1}{2}} = ((-1)^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} = (-1)^{2 \cdot \frac{1}{2}} = ((-1)^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} = (1)^{\frac{1}{2}} = 1 ##

Any ideas?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You have (1)1/2, and it can be +1 or -1. The mistake you do is that you sould consider ((-1)2)1/2=|-1| = 1

Gil said:
You have (1)1/2, and it can be +1 or -1.

No it can't. It's always 1.

Someone will say it eventually. [tex] i^2=-1[/tex]
[tex](i^2)^(1/2)=+-(-1)^(1/2)[/tex], the text is there but it does not look right.
[tex]√(i^2)=+-√(-1)=i[/tex]

micromass said:
No it can't. It's always 1.
The square root of 1 is ±√1 = ±1, isn't it?

Gil said:

1 has two square roots: -1 and 1. But ##1^{1/2} = 1##.

Likes DrewD and Rectifier
micromass said:
1 has two square roots: -1 and 1. But ##1^{1/2} = 1##.

A number raised to the power of 1/2 is the exact same thing as a square root. So [itex](-1)^{1/2} = \pm 1[/itex]. Information is lost upon squaring. That's where I'd say the issue comes from.

Namely, the OP starts with a number [itex]x[/itex], and takes [tex]x = x^{(2)(1/2)} = (x^2)^{1/2}[/tex]

but information is lost when we square, because [tex] x = a \implies x^2=a^2[/tex]

but [tex]x^2 = a^2 \nRightarrow x = a[/tex]
Though someone else may see farther than me regarding this problem.

Likes Rectifier
Gil said:
micromass is correct. ##\sqrt{1} = +1##.

Rectifier said:
## (-1)^{2 \cdot \frac{1}{2}} = ((-1)^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} ##

It isn't in general true that [itex] x^{ab} = (x^a)^b [/itex].

Last edited:
Likes Rectifier
axmls said:
A number raised to the power of 1/2 is the exact same thing as a square root. So [itex](-1)^{1/2} = \pm 1[/itex].
No. The sqaure root of -1 is the imaginary unit i.
axmls said:
Information is lost upon squaring.
That's irrelvant to this question. We're taking the square root, not squaring something.
axmls said:
That's where I'd say the issue comes from.

Namely, the OP starts with a number [itex]x[/itex], and takes [tex]x = x^{(2)(1/2)} = (x^2)^{1/2}[/tex]

but information is lost when we square, because [tex] x = a \implies x^2=a^2[/tex]

but [tex]x^2 = a^2 \nRightarrow x = a[/tex]
Though someone else may see farther than me regarding this problem.

There is a misconception about square roots that shows up here quite often. An expression such as ##\sqrt{4} = 2##, not ##\pm 2##. While it's true that 4 has two square roots, one positive and one negative, the symbol ##\sqrt{4}## represents the positive square root.

More generally, for any positive real number a, the expression ##\sqrt{a}## represents the positive number b such that b2 = a.

Likes Rectifier

Related to Proving "-1 = 1" Wrong: Ideas?

1. How can it be possible for -1 to equal 1?

This is a common misconception about negative numbers. While -1 and 1 may have different values, they both follow the same mathematical rules and properties. In fact, -1 is defined as the additive inverse of 1, meaning that when added together, they equal 0. So while they may seem like opposites, they are actually closely related in terms of their mathematical properties.

2. What evidence is there to support the idea that -1 does not equal 1?

There is overwhelming evidence from both algebraic and geometric perspectives that -1 does not equal 1. For example, in algebra, the identity property states that any number multiplied by 1 equals itself. If -1 were to equal 1, then -1 multiplied by 1 would equal -1, which is not true. In geometry, the number line clearly shows that -1 and 1 are on opposite sides of 0 and cannot be equal to each other.

3. Can't -1 and 1 be considered the same since they are both whole numbers?

While -1 and 1 are both integers, they are not the same number. Just like how 2 and -2 are both whole numbers but have different values, -1 and 1 also have distinct values. In addition, whole numbers do not have negative values, so it would not make sense for -1 and 1 to be considered the same.

4. Is it possible that we just don't fully understand the concept of -1 and 1 being equal?

As scientists, we base our understanding and theories on evidence and observations. In this case, the evidence clearly shows that -1 and 1 are not equal. While it is always important to question and continue learning, it is also important to accept and understand the evidence that is presented.

5. How does this concept of -1 not equaling 1 impact other areas of mathematics?

The concept of -1 not equaling 1 is crucial in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and calculus. It is a fundamental understanding that is necessary for solving equations and equations in multiple variables. If -1 and 1 were considered equal, it would greatly impact the validity of many mathematical principles and equations.