Provide Explanations for Gratuitous Changes in Stats?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Bystander
  • Start date
In summary, the post count for the speaker has gone up from 5028 to 5029 without any activity on their part. They suspect that this post will make it 5230, but they have only been active in the GD area recently. It is possible that the change was due to a cache update or moderation activity by the Mentors. However, the speaker advises not to pay too much attention to post counts as they can fluctuate for various reasons. They also mention that moving threads or sub-threads and moderation can also affect post counts. The speaker concludes by saying that they are unaware of any recent moderation activity that could have caused the increase in post count.
Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Just noticed my post count went from 5028 to 5029 without any activity on my part; this post will presumably be 5230, but GD is the only area to/in which I've been active lately, i.e., no increment of post count.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bystander said:
Just noticed my post count went from 5028 to 5029 without any activity on my part; this post will presumably be 5230, but GD is the only area to/in which I've been active lately, i.e., no increment of post count.
LOL, it's best in my opinion not to watch those numbers too closely. The Mentors will routinely put some threads or sub-threads temporarily into "Moderation", which hides them until we can discuss and decide how best to handle the issues. While the thread is in Moderation, if you have posts in it they will not count toward your total.

Even though your posts may be fine and in reply to problematic posts, they may get hidden temporarily while the thread is worked on. If that work results in your post(s) being deleted, hopefully you would get notice of that. When the thread or sub-thread is restored from the Moderation status, that will cause your post count to appear to jump for no apparent reason...

:smile:

berkeman said:
not to watch those numbers too closely.
That's gone without saying for me for a long time, but it's usually been reduction, not increase, and I'm totally unaware of any moderation activity recently that could even remotely have affected it; c'est la vie.

Bystander said:
and I'm totally unaware of any moderation activity recently that could even remotely have affected it
That's because the Mentors have been taking some Ninja training... :cool:

Likes Wrichik Basu and Bystander

Related to Provide Explanations for Gratuitous Changes in Stats?

1. What are gratuitous changes in stats?

Gratuitous changes in stats refer to any changes in numerical data or statistics that are made without a valid or justifiable reason. These changes can be intentional or unintentional and can occur in various fields such as business, sports, or scientific research.

2. Why do gratuitous changes in stats occur?

Gratuitous changes in stats can occur due to various reasons, such as human error, data manipulation, or biased reporting. In some cases, these changes may also be made to fit a particular narrative or agenda, leading to misleading or inaccurate information.

3. How do gratuitous changes in stats affect the validity of research?

Gratuitous changes in stats can significantly impact the validity of research as they can alter the overall results and conclusions. Inaccurate or manipulated data can lead to false conclusions and can undermine the credibility of the research findings.

4. What steps can be taken to prevent gratuitous changes in stats?

To prevent gratuitous changes in stats, it is essential to have a robust data collection and analysis process in place. This includes ensuring data accuracy, using reliable statistical methods, and having multiple reviewers to check for any discrepancies. Transparency and proper documentation of data and methods can also help prevent gratuitous changes.

5. What are the consequences of making gratuitous changes in stats?

The consequences of making gratuitous changes in stats can vary depending on the context. In research, it can lead to the retraction of published studies and damage the reputation of the researcher or institution. In business or sports, it can result in legal action and loss of trust from stakeholders. In general, it can lead to a lack of credibility and undermine the integrity of the data and information being presented.