Can anyone provide suggestions for a book on prose-writing?

In summary, the author is describing their reading of a book. They have noticed numerous problems with their work, including inconsistency in focus and lack of descriptive language. They worry about their grammar and pace, and they want to improve these areas.
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is any such book, or any such rules. Or if such rules are laid out somewhere, any real author would find them funny and break them at will. Writing is a creative act, not a formula.

If you're still in school, take more electives in humanities. If you're not in school, see if you can find a creative writing class in a local community college or elsewhere. In either case, spend more time just writing and then self-criticizing your prose.

Read more. Try writing your own stories in the style of authors you like. Then try it in the style of authors you don't like.

jedishrfu said:
One of the takeaways I got was that many movies follow the same plotline but changeup the characters and backstory while keeping similar beatsheets.
I think this is why nobody goes to see movies anymore.

I don't think Saves the Cat movie similarity has anything to do with why no one goes. Audience numbers are down because of the pandemic, the young age demographicfor moviegoers and because of streaming.

Why pay a month's worth of streaming to see one unknown new movie in glorious technicolor with surround sound and 3D effects if you can see several great older movies on streaming.

gmax137 said:
Writing is a creative act, not a formula.
(...)
Read more. Try writing your own stories in the style of authors you like. Then try it in the style of authors you don't like.
Thanks. I was stressing over how to write a story properly, without stopping to consider that no "correct" way may even exist. I'll keep the rest of your advice in mind, besides.

gmax137 said:
If you're still in school...
I'm not, but I wish I were. Am I delusional for thinking that having a subject to study properly in college would give me purpose in life?

If you're not in school, see if you can find a creative writing class in a local community college or elsewhere. In either case, spend more time just writing and then self-criticizing your prose.
As I am low on funds, I'll opt for the latter until I am able to transition to a job that can allow me to afford the former.

jedishrfu said:
Why pay a month's worth of streaming to see one unknown new movie in glorious technicolor with surround sound and 3D effects if you can see several great older movies on streaming.
The cynical part of me thinks that it is partially because people looking for entertainment are so lost in their nostalgia that they refuse to see anything that deviates from the familiar. Then they spend time complaining about how the supposedly familiar doesn't quite capture that same feeling they normally associate with the familiar. Then they end up miserable again; this is partially just me projecting my views on fictional media and the like, by the way. In my view, people who remake and rehash don't sell movies; they sell nostalgia.

That aside, there are some benefits to watching movies via streaming, such as getting to see reviews and opinions of a given motion film before spending a little more than a month's worth of streaming services on watching it. And most movies find their way into these streaming services anyway, which invalidates the initial purchase of the ticket used to view it in theaters some months previously.

Last edited:
Likes gmax137
Before writing, you should read. True for papers, true for this. In particular, you should read the FOA (Funding Opportunity Announcement) for the grant you are applying for. Sometimes they are called slightly different things.

For US federally funded research, you need to read the eligibility section carefully. If you are not eligible, you are not eligible, There is no "lets cut him some slack."

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd
Notwithstanding my previous comment, @Eclair_de_XII you may like this little book: "The First Five Pages" by Lukeman.
https://www.amazon.com/First-Five-Pages-Writers-Rejection/dp/068485743X" said:
The First Five Pages reveals the necessary elements of good writing, whether it be fiction, nonfiction, journalism, or poetry, and points out errors to be avoided, such as
* A weak opening hook
* Overuse of adjectives and adverbs
* Flat or forced metaphors or similes
* Melodramatic, commonplace or confusing dialogue
* Undeveloped characterizations and lifeless settings
* Uneven pacing and lack of progression

Likes jedishrfu
I find the idea of a "story" involving the details of grant proposals kind of hard to swallow.
1. It violates the rule "write what you know".
2. I don't think it will be "a gripping, rip-roaring yarn through the exciting yet dangerous world of grant proposals". Will the sequel be a tale of Environmental Impact Statements?

If there really is a story behind this, I'd shelve this idea and pick another one.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes BillTre and berkeman
gmax137 said:
Notwithstanding my previous comment, @Eclair_de_XII you may like this little book: "The First Five Pages" by Lukeman.
I read some of this book and its quite good. The key takeaway is that publishers get so many manuscripts they look to rejecting them on the first obvious error they see:
- Notebook paper no,
- paper smudges no,
- bad grammar no,
- spelling no.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman
I know of no case where bad grammar caused a grant to be rejected. I know of a few where it raised some eyebrows:

"We will use this funding to procure the services of a chemist, a woman, and a glassnlower."

• Haha
Likes berkeman
How or when did this thread morph off into writing grant proposals? Are there missing posts or am I just missing them??

Here is a suggestion, maybe already given, but is a bit weak:
Go to* a college class, maybe through some "Open University" type of system, for some kind of creative writing. Whatever Langauge Arts courses you have had in the past would not hurt you now to have had them. Maybe he who instructs for your current course or class may have ways to stimulate your thinking.

*What I mean there is, register for and attend a creative writing course.

Likes BillTre
As a freshman (but... years ago!), in our English Composition class, we studied from Brooks and Warren's "Modern Rhetoric" and Perrin and Emmitt's "Writer's Guide and Index to English", in combination with "The Norton Reader". Perrin is classic, I guess you can only find it in libraries.

I just now came upon this topic very late, after only today seeing and giving a brief response about your question of Science Fiction Writing. Again, my similar suggestion but additionally, if you could enroll in and attend a creative writing course intended for adult students, a course may be instructed as a forum class, at least in part. That way, you could get advice from instructor AND other attending students during class-meeting time. This can be very beneficial but you need to be able to tolerate and ponder on criticism.

Likes BillTre
There are plenty of books on the 'rules' (except for grammar, they're more guidelines than rules) of writing, just like there are books and other material on how to draw, paint, do pottery, watercolor, etc. Just because you can break a rule doesn't mean it isn't a rule or that it's there for no reason. Rules in all creative arts exist because they are usually a good idea to follow unless you're experienced and you know how to bend, break, or subvert the rules to make a better work of art.

Grammar related rules are usually better off followed to the letter. If you can't spell, use punctuation correctly, or structure a paragraph well then people won't be willing to even finish the first page, let alone the first chapter. 'Rules' regarding scene composition, chapter structure, and story structure all sort of open up more as you increase in scale to allow the author more freedom to do what they want.

Other elements, such as style, word choice, overall language complexity, and others are mostly free from rules.

In terms of prose, there are many books on grammar, style, structure, etc. Want a book that teaches you how specifically how to write engaging 'scenes' in your work? They have those. Not sure how paragraphs and sentences and semicolons work? They have books for those too. Looking for tips on improving your style? Yup, they have those. Want to focus on action in your scenes? Or tension? Or drama? Books on all those topics exist.

Some of my favorites:
Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time
Characters and Viewpoint (by Orson Scott Card of Ender's Game and other works)
Conflict and Suspense
Grammatically Correct: The Essential Guide to Spelling, Style, Usage, Grammar, and Punctuation
Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot That Grips Readers from Start to Finish

Likes Eclair_de_XII and symbolipoint