Prove that triangle BAD is isosceles and....

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathlearn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary: The straight line segment through the midpoints of two sides of a triangle isparallel to the third side and equal in length to half of it Let's start with i) because we may use the results of i) to prove ii).I'd like you to consider the problem carefully and decide which aspect of the midpoint theorem applies to which part of i). Post back with your answer and include your reasoning.
mathlearn
Problem

In the $\triangle ADC$ , $\angle DAC$ or angle $A$ is a right angle, E is the midpoint of AC . The perpendicular drawn to $AC$ from $E$ meets $DC$ at $B$

i.Drawn the given information in a figure & prove that $\triangle BAD$ is isosceles

ii. $AC^2+AD^2=4AB^2$

Diagram

View attachment 6047

Where do I need help

In proving that $\triangle BAD$ is isosceles & $AC^2+AD^2=4AB^2$

This is the first time I attempt to do this kind of a problem (Clapping)

Many Thanks :)

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 61
Mathematics news on Phys.org
i) Start from the fact that B is the midpoint of CD (midpoint theorem).

ii) Start with the fact that 2AB = CD.

greg1313 said:
i) Start from the fact that B is the midpoint of CD (midpoint theorem).

ii) Start with the fact that 2AB = CD.

Thank you very much (Happy)

ii) Start with the fact that 2AB = CD

May i know the theorem or the case please :)

So $CB=BD$ (Converse of midpoint theorem)

& as $2AB = CD$ | $\therefore AB= \frac{1}{2} CD$ | $\frac{1}{2} CD $= CB or BD

$BA= BD$ | $\therefore \triangle BAD $ is isosceles

Correct?

In the first instance is it the Converse of the Midpoint theorem

The straight line through the midpoint of one side of a triangle and parallel to another side, bisects the third side.

or

the Midpoint theorem

The straight line segment through the midpoints of two sides of a triangle is
parallel to the third side and equal in length to half of it

Let's start with i) because we may use the results of i) to prove ii).

I'd like you to consider the problem carefully and decide which aspect of the midpoint theorem applies to which part of i). Post back with your answer and include your reasoning.

One way to solve i): consider a rectangle with diagonal BD and a rectangle with diagonal AB. Can you, using the midpoint theorem, show that these two rectangles are congruent? What famous theorem tells us that AB = BD?

greg1313 said:
Let's start with i) because we may use the results of i) to prove ii).

I'd like you to consider the problem carefully and decide which aspect of the midpoint theorem applies to which part of i). Post back with your answer and include your reasoning.

One way to solve i): consider a rectangle with diagonal BD and a rectangle with diagonal AB. Can you, using the midpoint theorem, show that these two rectangles are congruent? What famous theorem tells us that AB = BD?

Hey greg1313 :)

The triangle $CBE$ is equal to $ABE$ because they have equal angle in $E$ and equal sides $CE=EA$ and $BE=BE$.

So now what I have is $CB=BA$

Then the theorem should be the converse of the midpoint theorem

The straight line through the midpoint of one side of a triangle and parallel to another side, bisects the third side.

Many Thanks :)

Related to Prove that triangle BAD is isosceles and....

1. What is an isosceles triangle?

An isosceles triangle is a type of triangle that has two equal sides and two equal angles. This means that if we were to fold the triangle in half, the two halves would perfectly overlap.

2. How can we prove that triangle BAD is isosceles?

We can prove that triangle BAD is isosceles by showing that two of its sides are equal in length. This can be done using geometric theorems or by measuring the sides with a ruler.

3. What are some properties of an isosceles triangle?

Some properties of an isosceles triangle include: having two equal sides and two equal angles, having a line of symmetry down its vertical axis, and having a base angle theorem that states the base angles are equal.

4. Can triangle BAD be isosceles if it has a right angle?

Yes, triangle BAD can still be isosceles if it has a right angle. This is because an isosceles triangle only requires two equal sides, not necessarily two equal angles. The right angle would be one of the two equal angles in this case.

5. How is proving triangle BAD is isosceles useful in geometry?

Proving that triangle BAD is isosceles is useful in geometry because it allows us to apply the properties and theorems specific to isosceles triangles. This can help us solve various geometric problems and make accurate measurements in real-world scenarios.