Prove that sum of two even integers is even

In summary: Main Problem"! I.e. this is already given as a part of the premises. So it does not matter if you call it "complication" or not, it is irrelevant here.I see your point. I am just more comfortable with the definition of an even number as being 2m rather than 2k+1. I tend to call 2k+1 an odd number. But, I can see how that works too!OK, I see where that was going...I think I'm good now...So, in summary, we used the definition of an even number n=2m to prove that the sum of two even integers is even, and the definition of an
Saladsamurai
Okay, I know that this is probably super easy. This is not homework, I just grabbed tis book at the library today and am trying to get familiar with the subject (Abstract Algebra). The book is hella old and doesn't have many of the solutions, especially if the author regarded the solution as easy as this (it's the first problem!).

My main problem is that I do not know how the proof should look (formally). In the past, I think I recall that a proof must work both ways (forwards and backwards). But I do not know how to start these things.

Homework Statement

An integer [tex]n[/tex] is defined to be even if [tex]n=2m[/tex] for some integer [tex]m[/tex] It is a theorem that the sum of two even integers is even. The definition of an even integer must be used to prove this theorem.

Homework Equations

[tex]n[/tex] is defined to be even if [tex]n=2m[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start..I mean on which side of the equivalency [tex]n=2m[/tex]

Should I start like: [tex]n[/tex] is defined to be even if [tex]n=2m[/tex]
[tex]n+n=2n=4n[/tex]

...I feel like I am just babbling here...can someone start me off?

Thanks,
Casey

p.s. sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let m and n be two even numbers. m = 2p and n = 2q, where p and q are integers. If you have either assumed or proved certain properties of integers, proving the sum of m and n is even is quite easy.

As long as you know that natural numbers p and q add to some other natural number. No way to actually "prove" that, it comes of Peano's axioms (well, sort of).

You problem involves two even integers- as neutrino suggested, try calling them 2n and 2m. Now, what is their sum?

I have no idea what you mean by n+ n= 2n = 4n! Even if you mean 4m, you are not using two different numbers. You would only have proved that adding a number to itself gives an even number.

HallsofIvy said:
You problem involves two even integers- as neutrino suggested, try calling them 2n and 2m. Now, what is their sum?

I have no idea what you mean by n+ n= 2n = 4n! Even if you mean 4m, you are not using two different numbers. You would only have proved that adding a number to itself gives an even number.

Good point. Like I said, I felt like I was just rambling like a D-bag...

Anyway. Given two even numbers m=2p and n=2q where p and q are both integers. 2p+2q=2(p+q)...now what, I assume that I include somewhere that the sum of two integers p and q = an integer, thus giving back my deinition of an even number..?

Exactly! 2p+ 2q= 2(p+q): 2 times a whole number and so even.

Nice! Thanks.

New exercise: show that the product of any two odd numbers is odd!~

Another excercise: Show that the sum of odd many odd numbers is odd.

HallsofIvy said:
New exercise: show that the product of any two odd numbers is odd!~

Definition: an integer s is defined to be odd if s=2w+1 for some integer w.

s and t are both odd integers where s=2w+1 and t=2x+1 where w and x are integers.
st=(2w+1)(2x+1)
=2xw+2w+2x+1
=2(xw+w+x)+1
ummm..let me think...

Seriously though, I don't call it an exercise to prove results that stem from associativity.

Saladsamurai said:
Definition: an integer s is defined to be odd if s=2w+1 for some integer w.

s and t are both odd integers where s=2w+1 and t=2x+1 where w and x are integers.
st=(2w+1)(2x+1)
=2xw+2w+2x+1
=2(xw+w+x)+1
ummm..let me think...

How about expressing two odd number as x + 1 and y + 1 where x and y are even numbers? What does (x + 1)(y + 1) develops into?

Werg22 said:
How about expressing two odd number as x + 1 and y + 1 where x and y are even numbers? What does (x + 1)(y + 1) develops into?

I will try it, howeber I was going by the definitions that the book uses (or the types that it uses)

Simpler still, if x and y are two odd numbers, xy = x(y-1) + x. Since y - 1 is an even number, so is x(y-1). An even number plus an odd number gives an odd number.

I'm sure it just personal preference but I would prefer:
(2n+1)(2m+1)= 4mn+ 2n+ 2m+ 1= 2(2mn+ n+ m)+ 1 and so is an odd number.

HallsofIvy said:
I'm sure it just personal preference but I would prefer:
(2n+1)(2m+1)= 4mn+ 2n+ 2m+ 1= 2(2mn+ n+ m)+ 1 and so is an odd number.

Yeah I forgot to distribute that 2...wow:redface:

I'd like to have a go at this one:
Kummer said:
Another excercise: Show that the sum of odd many odd numbers is odd.
I need to first transpose that statement into something quantitative...

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n+1}{(a_k + 1)},[/tex]

where n is even and so is every [itex]a_k[/itex]

Do you know about induction? This seems like a good way to prove that statement.
Obviously, the sum of one odd number is odd. Now assume that the sum of 2n - 1 odd numbers is odd and add two odd numbers. Can you prove it's odd?

I don't see the need to complicate things by adding a factor of 2.

Last edited:
And now we are supposed to ask: "Why not?", right? Because just giving the reasons in your first post would not increase our post counts, right?
OK, so here goes:

Werg22, why not?

Werg22 said:
I don't see the need to complicate things by adding a factor of 2.

I don't see it as a complication. Rather, it's the definition of an even number being able to be divided by 2 with no remainder, hence 2m where m is arbitrary integer.

kekido said:
I don't see it as a complication. Rather, it's the definition of an even number being able to be divided by 2 with no remainder, hence 2m where m is arbitrary integer.

Yes. And this how an even number was defined in post#1.

Related to Prove that sum of two even integers is even

1. How do you prove that the sum of two even integers is even?

To prove that the sum of two even integers is even, we can use the definition of even numbers which states that an even number is any integer that is divisible by 2 without a remainder. So, if we add two even integers, the result will still be divisible by 2 without a remainder, making it an even number.

2. Can you give an example to demonstrate the proof?

Sure, for example, let's take the even integers 4 and 6. The sum of these two numbers is 10, which is also an even number. This can be proven by dividing 10 by 2, which gives us a result of 5 without any remainder.

3. What if one of the integers is odd?

If one of the integers is odd, the sum will not be an even number. This can be proven by using the definition of odd numbers, which states that an odd number is any integer that is not divisible by 2 without a remainder. So, adding an even and an odd integer will result in an odd number.

4. Is this proof applicable to all even integers?

Yes, this proof is applicable to all even integers. It is a fundamental property of even numbers that their sum will always be an even number.

5. Can this proof be extended to more than two even integers?

Yes, this proof can be extended to any number of even integers. The sum of any number of even integers will always be an even number, as long as all the integers are even.