Prove that s^2=(s')^2 using the Lorentz Transformation

In summary, the conversation is about proving the invariant quantity s = x2 - (ct)2 in special relativity. The method used is the lorentz transformation and the attempt at a solution involves expanding and simplifying the equation. However, there are algebra errors that need to be corrected.
castrodisastro

Homework Statement

I am learning special relativity and we came across the invariant quantity s = x2 - (ct)2. Our professor wants us to prove it. I admit that this is a proof and belongs in the mathematics section but I didn't see an Algebra section and this is most easily identified by those learning special relativity.

The assignment simply states

"Prove s2 = s'2"

Homework Equations

s2= x2-(ct)2

[itex]\gamma[/itex]=[1-([itex]\frac{v}{c}[/itex])2]-1/2

x' = [itex]\gamma[/itex](x-vt)

t' = [itex]\gamma[/itex](t-(vx/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

My textbook is telling me in one sentence that if we apply the lorentz transformation to x and t then s2 = s'2...so I did that...

I choose to start with s'2 = x'2-(ct')2

Applying the lorentz transformation to x' and t' our equation becomes...

s'2 = ([itex]\gamma[/itex](x-vt))2-(c([itex]\gamma[/itex](t-(vx/c2))2

Expanding what we have takes us to...

s'2 = ([itex]\gamma[/itex]2(x2-2vt+(vt)2)-(c2[itex]\gamma[/itex]2(t2)-2(v/c2)x+(v2/c4)x2))

If I combine some terms...

s'2 = [itex]\gamma[/itex]2[x2(1-(v2/c4)+t2(v-1)+2v((x/c2)-t)]

From here I tried a couple of different things on scratch paper but I couldn't see particular direction that would simplify it all down. Am I just not being patient enough and not seeing that it gets worse before it gets better?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
castrodisastro said:

Homework Statement

I am learning special relativity and we came across the invariant quantity s = x2 - (ct)2. Our professor wants us to prove it. I admit that this is a proof and belongs in the mathematics section but I didn't see an Algebra section and this is most easily identified by those learning special relativity.

The assignment simply states

"Prove s2 = s'2"

Homework Equations

s2= x2-(ct)2

[itex]\gamma[/itex]=[1-([itex]\frac{v}{c}[/itex])2]-1/2

x' = [itex]\gamma[/itex](x-vt)

t' = [itex]\gamma[/itex](t-(vx/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

My textbook is telling me in one sentence that if we apply the lorentz transformation to x and t then s2 = s'2...so I did that...

I choose to start with s'2 = x'2-(ct')2

Applying the lorentz transformation to x' and t' our equation becomes...

s'2 = ([itex]\gamma[/itex](x-vt))2-(c([itex]\gamma[/itex](t-(vx/c2))2

Expanding what we have takes us to...

s'2 = ([itex]\gamma[/itex]2(x2-2vt+(vt)2)-(c2[itex]\gamma[/itex]2(t2)-2(v/c2)x+(v2/c4)x2))

If I combine some terms...

s'2 = [itex]\gamma[/itex]2[x2(1-(v2/c4)+t2(v-1)+2v((x/c2)-t)]

From here I tried a couple of different things on scratch paper but I couldn't see particular direction that would simplify it all down. Am I just not being patient enough and not seeing that it gets worse before it gets better?

Thanks in advance.
You made a bunch of algebra errors. The last equation you had that was correct was: s'2 = x'2-(ct')2

Chet

Related to Prove that s^2=(s')^2 using the Lorentz Transformation

1. How does the Lorentz Transformation prove that s^2=(s')^2?

The Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical equation that describes how measurements of space and time are affected by the relative motion between two observers. By applying this transformation to the equation s^2=(s')^2, we can show that it remains true for both observers regardless of their relative motion, thus proving its validity.

2. What is the significance of s^2=(s')^2 in the context of special relativity?

This equation is known as the invariant interval and it represents the fundamental relationship between space and time in special relativity. It is a crucial concept in understanding how measurements of space and time are relative to the observer's frame of reference.

3. Can you explain the derivation of s^2=(s')^2 using the Lorentz Transformation?

The derivation involves using the Lorentz Transformation equations for length and time, and then squaring and combining them to obtain the invariant interval formula s^2=(s')^2. This can be done using basic algebraic manipulations and the properties of the Lorentz factor.

4. Does s^2=(s')^2 hold true for all frames of reference?

Yes, the Lorentz Transformation is a fundamental principle of special relativity and holds true for all frames of reference. This means that the equation s^2=(s')^2 remains valid regardless of the relative motion between two observers, as long as they are both using the same units of measurement.

5. How does the Lorentz Transformation relate to Einstein's theory of special relativity?

The Lorentz Transformation is a key component of Einstein's theory of special relativity. It is used to describe the effects of time dilation and length contraction in moving reference frames, which are fundamental concepts of the theory. The equation s^2=(s')^2 plays a crucial role in understanding these effects and their relation to the speed of light.