Why Does t' Include vx/c² in Lorentz Transformations?

In summary: So, the time coordinate that is associated with the same event in a different frame is ##t'##. Therefore, if you want to find ##t'## for a given ##t##, you have to use the Lorentz Transformation.In summary, the equation for time transformation, t' = λ(t - vx/c^2), comes from the Lorentz Transformation in special relativity. In classical physics, t' is always equal to t, but in special relativity, the time coordinate is different in different frames of reference, and t' is used to represent the time coordinate in a different frame. This equation can be derived using different methods, such as the spherical wavefronts of light derivation mentioned on
Pochen Liu
Homework Statement
I don't understand how they were derived
Relevant Equations
*as attached
I understand x' = λ(x - vt) but why does t' = λ(t - vx/c^2)? where does the vx/c^2 come from?
and honestly I don't understand what t' is.

because from what I understand is that t' is the length of time t as observed from the reference frame S'. which means t' = t*λ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 1.26.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 1.26.16 PM.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 205
Physics news on Phys.org
This Wikipedia page gives a number of different derivations. The easiest (for me) to understand is the one called "Spherical wavefronts of light", which basically follows from the assumption that the speed of light is the same in all reference frames.

Likes Pochen Liu
Pochen Liu said:
Problem Statement: I don't understand how they were derived
Relevant Equations: *as attached

I understand x' = λ(x - vt) but why does t' = λ(t - vx/c^2)? where does the vx/c^2 come from?
and honestly I don't understand what t' is.

because from what I understand is that t' is the length of time t as observed from the reference frame S'. which means t' = t*λ?

It's better to say that ##t'## is the time coordinate of an event in frame S'.

In classical physics we have always ##t' =t##. So, no one bothered ever to write ##t'##, because ##t'## is always the same as ##t##. In SR, of course, the time coordinate is not the same in different frames and, indeed, the Lorentz Transformation transforms the time coordinate from one frame to another.

Likes pinball1970 and Pochen Liu

Related to Why Does t' Include vx/c² in Lorentz Transformations?

1. What are Lorentz transformations?

Lorentz transformations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between space and time in special relativity. They were developed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century.

2. Why are Lorentz transformations important?

Lorentz transformations are important because they help explain how time and space are relative and how they can be affected by an object's speed. They also form the basis for Einstein's theory of special relativity.

3. How do Lorentz transformations work?

Lorentz transformations use a set of equations to convert measurements of space and time from one frame of reference to another. They involve the concepts of length contraction and time dilation, which describe how space and time appear to be different for objects moving at different speeds.

4. What is the formula for Lorentz transformations?

The basic formula for Lorentz transformations is:
x' = γ(x - vt)
where x' is the measurement in the moving frame, x is the measurement in the stationary frame, v is the relative velocity between the two frames, t is time, and γ is the Lorentz factor. There are also equations for transforming velocities, acceleration, and other variables.

5. What are some real-world applications of Lorentz transformations?

Lorentz transformations have many practical applications, such as in GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear reactors. They are also used in cosmology to understand the behavior of objects in space and in the development of theories like the Big Bang. In addition, they have implications for time travel and the twin paradox thought experiment.