Show the length of vector z is the product of z1 and z2.

In summary, the length of z is not necessarily simply the product of the lengths of z1 and z2, and the angle between z and the x-axis is not simply the sum of the angles made by z1 and z2 separately.
bfusco

Homework Statement

consider a vector z defined by the equation z=z1z2, where z1=a+jb, and z2=c+jd (j=complex: same as 'i').
(a) show that the length of z is the product of the lengths of z1 and z2.
(b) show that the angle between z and the x-axis is the sum of the angles made by z1 and z2 separately.

P.S. this question is part of a personal study, so feel free to bring all information applicable without skipping steps, as to really solidify my understanding because i have to admit I've gotten to these 'upper level' math and physics classes and i feel as though i know nothing. lol

Thank you in advance!

The Attempt at a Solution

first off considering that this is 2 vectors being multiplied to get another vector I am assuming that this is the cross product. if that is the case than i would start by simply taking the determinant resulting in: ad-cb, but at i wouldn't know what to do past this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
bfusco said:

Homework Statement

consider a vector z defined by the equation z=z1z2, where z1=a+jb, and z2=c+jd (j=complex: same as 'i').
(a) show that the length of z is the product of the lengths of z1 and z2.
(b) show that the angle between z and the x-axis is the sum of the angles made by z1 and z2 separately.

P.S. this question is part of a personal study, so feel free to bring all information applicable without skipping steps, as to really solidify my understanding because i have to admit I've gotten to these 'upper level' math and physics classes and i feel as though i know nothing. lol

Thank you in advance!

The Attempt at a Solution

first off considering that this is 2 vectors being multiplied to get another vector I am assuming that this is the cross product. if that is the case than i would start by simply taking the determinant resulting in: ad-cb, but at i wouldn't know what to do past this point.

I don't believe that the cross product is called for here, and I also believe that the description of z as a vector is somewhat misleading. You are given that z1 and z2 are complex numbers, for which ordinary multiplication is defined.

It's really pretty easy if you express the complex numbers in polar form, if you gotten that far and want a shortcut.

Last edited:

Related to Show the length of vector z is the product of z1 and z2.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It can be represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow indicating its magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating its direction.

2. What does it mean for a vector to have a length?

The length of a vector, also known as its magnitude, is the distance from its starting point to its endpoint. It represents the size or magnitude of the vector, regardless of its direction.

3. What is the product of two vectors?

The product of two vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a scalar, which is a single numerical value. It can be calculated using different methods, depending on the type of vectors involved (e.g. dot product for two vectors in the same direction, cross product for two vectors perpendicular to each other).

4. How is the length of a vector related to its product with another vector?

In general, the product of two vectors does not directly affect the length of either vector. However, in some cases (such as the dot product of two parallel vectors), the product of two vectors can be used to determine the length of one of the vectors.

5. Why is it important to show the length of vector z is the product of z1 and z2?

Showing that the length of vector z is the product of z1 and z2 helps to establish a relationship between the two vectors. It also allows for the calculation of the length of vector z, which can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.