Prove of linearly dependency of rows in matrices

In summary: AB) ≠ 0 ?Yes, you can use the determinant for this. A matrix has nonzero determinant if and only if the set of row vectors and the set of column vectors form linearly independent sets. Assuming you have proved (or it has been stated) in class\det{A}\det{B}=\det{AB}, I would recommend you take this route.Yes, you can use the determinant for this. A matrix has nonzero determinant if and only if the set of row vectors and the set of column vectors form linearly independent sets. Assuming you have proved (or it has been stated) in
DrummingAtom

Homework Statement

If the rows of A are linearly dependent, prove that the rows of AB are also linearly dependent.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] A = \begin{pmatrix}a&-a\\b&-b\end{pmatrix}[/tex] the rows are linearly dependent because a - a = 0 and b - b = 0.

[tex] B = \begin{pmatrix}c_1&c_2\\c_3&c_4\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Then[tex] AB = \begin{pmatrix}a(c_1-c_3)&a(c_2-c_4)\\b(c_1-c_3)&b(c_2-c_4)\end{pmatrix} \; where\; c_1 \neq c_3\; and\; c_2 \neq c_4[/tex]

But then wouldn't these rows now be linearly independent? Unless [tex] c_1 - c_3 = -(c_2 - c_4)[/tex]

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
can you show dependence (or the opposite?) by saying that the det(AB) ≠ 0 ?

i don't have my materials in front of me to check to see which is true. . .

Highway said:
can you show dependence (or the opposite?) by saying that the det(AB) ≠ 0 ?

i don't have my materials in front of me to check to see which is true. . .

Yeah I thought about going that route but it's asking for the rows not the matrix being linearly dependent. At least that's what I hope I'm understanding of this question.

OCeot.png

so i guess show that the rows are multiples of each other. . .

That paragraph actually does help me a lot because the determinant can be used to prove columns of the matrix are linearly dependent and then that paragraph states if the rows are dependent then so are the columns. I would assume that the inverse is also true to help my case. I calculated the determinant and it was 0.

Thanks for your help.

DrummingAtom said:
That paragraph actually does help me a lot because the determinant can be used to prove columns of the matrix are linearly dependent and then that paragraph states if the rows are dependent then so are the columns. I would assume that the inverse is also true to help my case. I calculated the determinant and it was 0.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, you can use the determinant for this. A matrix has nonzero determinant if and only if the set of row vectors and the set of column vectors form linearly independent sets. Assuming you have proved (or it has been stated) in class
[itex]\det{A}\det{B}=\det{AB}[/itex], I would recommend you take this route.

Theorem. said:
Yes, you can use the determinant for this. A matrix has nonzero determinant if and only if the set of row vectors and the set of column vectors form linearly independent sets. Assuming you have proved (or it has been stated) in class
[itex]\det{A}\det{B}=\det{AB}[/itex], I would recommend you take this route.

In general, A, B and AB may be non-square and so not have determinants. Nevertheless the stated result is still true. In fact, it is pretty easy, but I'll leave you to have the fun of doing it.

RGV

DrummingAtom said:

Homework Statement

If the rows of A are linearly dependent, prove that the rows of AB are also linearly dependent.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] A = \begin{pmatrix}a&-a\\b&-b\end{pmatrix}[/tex] the rows are linearly dependent because a - a = 0 and b - b = 0.
?
Are you given that A and B are 2x2 matrices? If so, for the rows of a 2x2 matrix to be dependent, they must be multiples of each other. In the matrix you show, the first row is a multiple of <1, -1>. The second row is also a multiple of <1, -1>.
DrummingAtom said:
[tex] B = \begin{pmatrix}c_1&c_2\\c_3&c_4\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Then[tex] AB = \begin{pmatrix}a(c_1-c_3)&a(c_2-c_4)\\b(c_1-c_3)&b(c_2-c_4)\end{pmatrix} \; where\; c_1 \neq c_3\; and\; c_2 \neq c_4[/tex]

But then wouldn't these rows now be linearly independent? Unless [tex] c_1 - c_3 = -(c_2 - c_4)[/tex]

Thanks for any help.

Related to Prove of linearly dependency of rows in matrices

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used to represent linear equations and transformations in mathematics and science.

What does it mean for rows in a matrix to be linearly dependent?

Linear dependence means that one or more rows in a matrix can be expressed as a combination of the other rows. In other words, one row is a scalar multiple of another row or a linear combination of other rows.

How do you prove linear dependence of rows in a matrix?

To prove linear dependence, you can use several methods such as Gaussian elimination, calculating the determinant, or finding the rank of the matrix. These methods will help you determine if one row is a linear combination of the others.

Why is it important to determine linear dependence of rows in a matrix?

Knowing if the rows in a matrix are linearly dependent is important because it can affect the solutions to linear equations and the properties of the matrix. Linear dependence can also indicate redundant information in the matrix.

Can a matrix have both linearly dependent and independent rows?

Yes, a matrix can have a combination of linearly dependent and independent rows. For example, a 3x3 matrix with two linearly dependent rows and one independent row would have a rank of 2. It is also possible for a matrix to have all linearly dependent rows.