Proton in Magnetic field - am I correct?

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a proton moving in a circular path in a magnetic field. The goal is to calculate the energy of the proton in electron volts. The solution involves finding the velocity of the proton and using the kinetic energy equation. There is a discrepancy in the values used for the charge of a proton, but ultimately the same energy value is obtained.
Poobel
Proton in Magnetic field -- am I correct?

One of my Physics ISU questions is as follows:
- A proton moves in a circular path perpendicular to a 1.10 T magnetic field. The radius of the path is 4.5 cm. calculate energy of the proton in eV

Well i had hard time doing it but here we go: my solution

mV^2/r=QrB V=QrB/m

V= (1.6x10^-16) x o.o45 m x 1.10 T) / 1.67x10^-27 kg

V= 4.7x10^6 m/s

Ek= 1/2mV^2 = 1/2 x 1.67x10^-27 kg x (4.7x10^6 m/s)^2
= 1.8x10^-14 J

Ek= 1.87x10^-14J x eV/1.6x10^-19J = (1.87x10^-14J)/ (1.6x10^-19J)

eV=1.3x10^5 eV=1.3x10^5

Fellow physisists is my solution correct?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...I got close to 1.17*10^5 eV

Here's how I did it:

We want to know the kinetic energy of the proton, so:

[tex]E_{k}=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

We know the mass of a proton is 1.67*10^-27, so the variable we need is the velocity at which it is travelling.

As this proton is moving in a circle in a magnetic field,

[tex]F_m=F_c[/tex] (where [tex]F_m[/tex] is the magnetic force and [tex]F_c[/tex] is the centripetal force

representing these with equations, we have

[tex]qvB=\frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]

now, we isolate v, since that is what we are trying to get

[tex]v=\frac{qBr}{m}[/tex]

substituting into the kinetic energy equation, we get

[tex]E_{k}=\frac{1}{2}m(\frac{qBr}{m})^2[/tex]

which reduces to

[tex]E_{k}=\frac{(qBr)^2}{2m}[/tex]

substituting in,

[tex]E_{k}=\frac{((1.6*10^-19)(1.10)(0.045))^2}{2(1.67*10^-27)}[/tex]

which gets 1.878*10^-14 J

since 1 eV = 1.6*10^-19 J, the answer in eV is

(1.878*10^-14)/(1.6*10^-19) = 117,375 eV (1.17*10^5)

There are two things about yours that confuse me. First off, the magnitude of the charge on a proton is the elementary charge, which is 1.6*10^-19, whereas you have it as 1.6*10^-16...and yet you get the same energy in joules. Then at the end when you do your conversion from joules to electron volts, there seems to be a discrepency of some kind, because (1.87*10^-14)/(1.6*10^-19) does not equal 1.3*10^5. Also, I would have rounded to 1.88*10^5 if I were rounding. Apart from that the solution the same as mine.

Last edited:
Ok I'll look more into it

thanks a bunch, help is always appreciated

BTW that -16... I just copied it wrong from my notes:smile:

Hmm also you must've read my first post wrong since

Ek= 1.87x10^-14J x eV/1.6x10^-19J = (1.87x10^-14J)/ (1.6x10^-19J)

eV=1.3x10^5 eV=1.3x10^5

Last edited:

Related to Proton in Magnetic field - am I correct?

1. What is a proton in a magnetic field?

A proton in a magnetic field is a charged particle (specifically, a positively charged subatomic particle found in the nucleus of an atom) that experiences a force due to its interaction with the magnetic field. This force causes the proton to move in a circular path around the magnetic field lines.

2. How does a proton behave in a magnetic field?

A proton in a magnetic field follows a circular path due to the Lorentz force, which is the force that charged particles experience when moving through a magnetic field. The direction and velocity of the proton determine the size and shape of its circular path.

3. What is the significance of studying protons in magnetic fields?

Studying protons in magnetic fields is important for understanding the behavior and properties of particles at the subatomic level. It also has many practical applications, such as in medical imaging techniques like MRI, which use magnetic fields to produce images of the body's internal structures.

4. How is the motion of a proton affected by the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the force experienced by the proton, which in turn determines the radius of its circular path. The stronger the magnetic field, the smaller the radius and the faster the proton will move.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the motion of a proton in a magnetic field?

Yes, the velocity and charge of the proton can also affect its motion. A higher velocity or greater charge will result in a larger force and a smaller radius of motion. Additionally, external forces such as gravity or electric fields may also affect the motion of a proton in a magnetic field.