Magnetic Field Force of a proton

In summary, the proton's velocity in the x-direction can be found by using the equation F/qB= V, and after expanding the cross product and accounting for the charge and units, the relevant equation is Vx = (4.46x10^-17)/(1.6x10^-19)(0.001) which gives a result of 278750 m/s.
PhysicsInNJ

Homework Statement

A proton moves through a uniform magnetic field given by
Barrowitalic.gif
= (10
ihat.gif
−25.3(j-hat) + 30(k-hat))mT. At time t1, the proton has a velocity given by
varrowitalic.gif
= vx
ihat.gif
+ vy(j-hat)+ (2.0 km/s)(k-hat) and the magnetic force on the proton is
Farrowitalic.gif
B = (4.46 ✕ 10−17 N)
ihat.gif
+ (1.76 ✕ 10−17 N)(j-hat).

At this instant, what is Vx?

Homework Equations

F= qV x B

The Attempt at a Solution

F/qB= V (using all the i-hat values since I am looking for Vx)
(4.46x10^-17)/(1.6x10^-19)(0.001)
This gives me= 278750 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Your relevant equation involves a cross product, so each force component will involve a mix of contributions from other components of the velocity and field vectors.

I suggest that you expand the cross product in the equation symbolically first, then pick out useful equations from the force terms.

ok I have expanded the cross product and got this;

(Vy)(30) - (2000)(-25.6) = 30Vy + 512000
(2000)(10) - (Vx)(30) = 20,000 - 30Vx
(Vx)(-25.6) - (Vy)(-25.6) = -25.6Vx + 25.6Vy

So the relevant equation would be the second, since it has a Vx. I set that equal to 1.76E-17/ e and solved for Vx which did not work.

I don't see where you've accounted for the charge on the proton or the given units of the magnetic field terms (milli Teslas).

I accounted for the charge by dividing by e, and just redid the calculation with 0.03 instead of 30.

PhysicsInNJ said:
I accounted for the charge by dividing by e, and just redid the calculation with 0.03 instead of 30.
That accounts for the ##B\hat{k}## term. What about the ##B\hat{i}## term (10 mT)?

Likes PhysicsInNJ
Thank you so much! that cleared it up!

Related to Magnetic Field Force of a proton

1. What is the magnetic field force of a proton?

The magnetic field force of a proton is the force exerted by the proton's magnetic field on other charged particles or magnetic materials.

2. How is the magnetic field force of a proton measured?

The magnetic field force of a proton can be measured using a magnetometer or by observing the deflection of a charged particle in the presence of the proton's magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field force of a proton?

The strength of the magnetic field force of a proton is affected by the proton's charge and velocity, as well as the distance between the proton and the charged particle or magnetic material.

4. How does the magnetic field force of a proton interact with other forces?

The magnetic field force of a proton can interact with other forces, such as the electric force, to produce a combined force on a charged particle. This is known as the Lorentz force.

5. How does the magnetic field force of a proton play a role in everyday life?

The magnetic field force of a proton is responsible for many phenomena in everyday life, such as the magnetism of compass needles and the functioning of electric motors. It also plays a crucial role in the behavior of particles in particle accelerators, medical imaging, and other scientific applications.