Proof of uniqueness of square root

In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem in which every element in a group has a unique square root, but finds that the solution is not straightforward.
SticksandStones

Homework Statement

Let G be a finite group in which every element has a square root. That is, for each x[tex]\epsilon G[/tex], there exists [tex]y \epsilon G[/tex] such that [tex]\(y^2=x.\)[/tex]Prove that every element in G has a unique square root.

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof: Assume not. Let k be the order of G. Let [tex]\(y_0, y_1, y_2,\text{...},\)\(y_k\)[/tex]be all the elements of G. For [tex]\(y_i{}^2\)= \(x_i\)[/tex]it can be said
that [tex]\(y_i\)*\(y_i\)=\(x_i\)[/tex] and that [tex]\(y_i\)[/tex] is the square root of [tex]\(x_i\)[/tex]. If [tex]\(x_i\)[/tex] has more than one square root, then there would be two unique
elements [tex]\(y_i\)[/tex] and [tex]\(y_j\)[/tex] with [tex]i \neq j[/tex] such that [tex]\(y_i\)*\(y_i\) = \(x_i\) =\(y_j\)*\(y_j\) = \(x_j\)[/tex]. However, if [tex]\(x_i\)[/tex] is the identity
element, then [tex]\(y_i\)[/tex] must also be the identity element. However, [tex]\(x_i\) = \(y_j\)*\(y_j\)[/tex] and thus [tex]\(y_j\)[/tex] must also be the identity element. But
[tex]\(y_i\)[/tex] and [tex]\(y_j\)[/tex] are distinct elements of G, and thus a contradiction is reached.

I feel like I'm only proving that the identity element can not have two distinct square roots. Am I on the right path?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe this might be better: let y_i and y_j must have unique inverses. Let these be z_i and z_j respectively.
y_i*y_i = x_i
y_i*y_i = y_j * y_j
y_i*y_i*z_i = y_j*y_j*z_i
y_i = y_j*y_j*z_i
z_i*y_i = z_i*y_j*y_j*z_i
1 = z_i*y_j*y_j*z_i

But this can only be true if z_i*y_j = 1 and y_j*z_i = 1, which can only occur if z_i and y_j are inverses. However, inverses are unique, and if z_i and y_i are inverses and z_i and y_j are inverses, then y_i must be y_j. However, this contradicts the original statement of y_i and y_j being distinct elements of G.

Think of it this way. Let f(x)=x^2. f maps G to G. Since every element has a square root, f is onto. G is FINITE (very important). Can a map from a finite set G->G be onto if it's not one-to-one?

Yeah, but I believe I'm supposed to be working only with the axioms of groups (associativity, inverse, identity element, law of exponents and the such).

Edit: It's an Intro Abstract Algebra course.

SticksandStones said:
Yeah, but I believe I'm supposed to be working only with the axioms of groups (associativity, inverse, identity element, law of exponents and the such).

You also have to use the properties of a set being finite. Or it's not true. Take the group of complex numbers of magnitude 1 under multiplication. Every element has a square root. But the square root is not unique, every number has two.

Dick said:
You also have to use the properties of a set being finite. Or it's not true. Take the group of complex numbers of magnitude 1 under multiplication. Every element has a square root. But the square root is not unique, every number has two.
Ok, so if G has order k then...

Let I be the set of all y_i 0=<i=<k
and let J be the set of all x_i 0<i<k

f(x) = x^2 maps I->J so that f(y_i) = x_i

If some x_i has more than one square root, such as y_a and y_b, then there are only k-2 remaining elements in I to map to k-1 elements in J. So some element x_i could not have a square root unless y_c*y_c = x_c and x_d.

Is this correct?

Right. If one element has two square roots, then there are only k-2 candidates for the other k-1 elements that need square roots. There aren't enough to go around.
I would stop talking after "So some element x_i could not have a square root". I'm not sure what the "unless" is about.

Dick said:
Right. If one element has two square roots, then there are only k-2 candidates for the other k-1 elements that need square roots. There aren't enough to go around.
I would stop talking after "So some element x_i could not have a square root". I'm not sure what the "unless" is about.

Sorry, it's late. I was trying to say that unless some number squared could somehow have two values at the same time that it would be impossible for every element to have a square root. I'll go with what you said and just stop talking there.

And now I feel stupid for not recognizing this earlier. Thanks for the help man!

Related to Proof of uniqueness of square root

1. What is the proof of uniqueness of square root?

The proof of uniqueness of square root states that every positive number has one and only one positive square root, and every negative number has one and only one negative square root.

2. Why is the proof of uniqueness of square root important?

This proof is important because it ensures that the concept of square root is well-defined and consistent, allowing for accurate calculations and problem-solving in mathematics.

3. How is the proof of uniqueness of square root derived?

The proof is derived using the fundamental theorem of algebra and the properties of real numbers, such as the distributive and associative properties.

4. Can this proof be applied to complex numbers?

Yes, the proof of uniqueness of square root can also be extended to complex numbers, where a complex number has two square roots. However, there are additional considerations and complexities in the proof for complex numbers.

5. What are some examples that illustrate the proof of uniqueness of square root?

For example, the square root of 9 is 3, and the square root of 16 is 4. These numbers have only one positive square root. Similarly, the square root of -9 is -3, and the square root of -16 is -4, demonstrating the uniqueness of negative square roots.