Proving Riemann Integrability of g∘f for Linear Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses proving or disproving the statement that if f: [a,b] -> [c,d] is linear and g:[c,d] -> R is Riemann integrable, then g ∘ f is Riemann integrable. The conversation presents a proof for the statement by assuming a > 0 and using a partition of [c,d] and a similar proof for a < 0. The conversation also includes a calculation of U(g ∘ f, Q) - L(g ∘ f, Q) to show that it is less than or equal to epsilon, thus proving the statement to be true.
O_o

Homework Statement

Prove or give a counter example of the following statement:

If [itex]f: [a,b] \to [c,d][/itex] is linear and [itex] g:[c,d] \to \mathbb{R} [/itex] is Riemann integrable then [itex] g \circ f [/itex] is Riemann integrable

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going to attempt to prove the statement is true.

Let [itex] f(x) = ax + b [/itex]. I'm going to assume [itex] a > 0 [/itex] and do a similar proof for [itex] a < 0 [/itex] if this one is alright.

Fix [itex] n \in \mathbb{N} [/itex] such that [itex] \frac{1}{n} \leq a [/itex].

Fix [itex] \epsilon > 0[/itex]

Since g is Riemann integrable [itex] \exists P = \{y_0, y_1, ..., y_n\} [/itex] such that [itex] U(g,P) - L(g,P) \lt \frac{\epsilon}{n}[/itex]. Where [itex] P [/itex] is a partition of [itex] [c,d] [/itex].

Let [itex] Q = \{x_0, x_1, ..., x_n\} [/itex] where [itex] x_i = \frac{y_i - b}{a} [/itex]. Since [itex] f(x) [/itex] is strictly increasing, [itex] x \in [x_{i-1}, x_i] \implies f(x) \in [y_{i-1}, y_i] [/itex].

This means [itex] M_i = \sup\{ g(y): y \in [y_{i-1}, y_i]\} = \sup\{g(f(x)): x \in [x_{i-1}, x_i]\} [/itex] and likewise for the infimum over the interval, which I will label [itex] m_i [/itex].
[tex] \implies \\ U(g \circ f ,Q) - L(g \circ f ,Q) = \sum_{i=1}^n \left(M_i - m_i\right) (x_i - x_{i-1}) \\
= \sum_{i=1}^n \left(M_i - m_i\right) \frac{(y_i - y_{i-1})}{a} \\
\leq \sum_{i=1}^n \left(M_i - m_i\right) (y_i - y_{i-1}) n \\
= n \left(U(g,P) - L(g,P)\right) \\
\leq n \frac{\epsilon}{n} = \epsilon
[/tex]

I was hoping someone could confirm my reasoning is okay or point out a place I made a mistake. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a solid argument to me.

Cheers. Thanks for taking the time to read it over.

Related to Proving Riemann Integrability of g∘f for Linear Functions

1. What is Riemann Integrability?

Riemann integrability is a mathematical concept that measures the area under a curve. It is used to calculate the exact value of a definite integral, which represents the total change of a function over a given interval.

2. How is Riemann Integrability different from other types of integrability?

Riemann integrability is a stricter form of integrability compared to other types such as Lebesgue integrability. It requires a function to be continuous over a given interval in order to be integrable, whereas other types may allow for discontinuities.

3. What is the Riemann Integral formula?

The Riemann integral formula is written as ∫ab f(x) dx, where a and b are the lower and upper limits of integration, and f(x) is the function being integrated. It represents the area under the curve of the function over the given interval.

4. How is Riemann Integrability used in real-world applications?

Riemann Integrability has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the work done by a force, the total profit of a business, or the change in temperature over a period of time, among other things.

5. What are the conditions for a function to be Riemann Integrable?

In order for a function to be Riemann Integrable, it must be bounded and continuous over the given interval. It must also have a finite number of discontinuities, with each discontinuity having a finite jump or infinite oscillation.