Proof of Uniqueness of Non-Identity Commuting Element in D_2n

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that in a group with certain properties, there exists an element of order 2 that commutes with all other elements. The conversation also mentions that there is only one such element in the group. To prove this, the participant has managed to show everything except for the uniqueness of this element. They are struggling to generate a contradiction and need a hint to proceed.
esorey

Homework Statement

If ##n = 2k## is even and ##n \ge 4##, show that ##z = r^k## is an element of order 2 which commutes with all elements of ##D_{2n}##. Show also that ##z## is the only nonidentity element of ##D_{2n}## which commutes with all elements of ##D_{2n}##.

Homework Equations

The question also says to use this previously-proven result: If ##x## is an element of finite order ##n## in a group ##G, n = 2k##, and ##1 \le i < n##, then ##x^i = x^{-i}## if and only if ##i = k.##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have managed to show everything except the uniqueness of such an element (which is normally the easy part!). I know that I need to assume that another such element exists, and use this assumption to show that this element is in fact ##z##, giving a contradiction. However, I am struggling to generate such a contradiction; I always seem to end up with trivial equations of the type ##1 = 1## (where ##1## is the identity). I think I just need a quick hint as to how to generate my contradiction.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take an element ##r^a s^b## in ##D_{2n}##. Thus, we have ##1\leq a\leq n## and ##b = 0,1## that commutes with every element.

So take an arbitrary element ##r^x s^y##. Then we have

[tex]r^a s^b r^x s^y = r^x s^y r^a s^b[/tex]

Try to write both sides of the above equation in the form ##r^q s^p##.

Related to Proof of Uniqueness of Non-Identity Commuting Element in D_2n

1. What is "Proof of Uniqueness of Non-Identity Commuting Element in D_2n"?

"Proof of Uniqueness of Non-Identity Commuting Element in D_2n" is a mathematical concept that states that in a dihedral group of order 2n, there exists only one non-identity element that commutes with all other elements in the group.

2. Why is this proof important?

This proof is important because it helps to understand the structure and properties of dihedral groups, which have many applications in mathematics and physics. It also has implications in the study of symmetry and group theory.

3. How is the proof of uniqueness of non-identity commuting element in D_2n derived?

The proof is derived by first defining the elements and operations in a dihedral group of order 2n. Then, the properties of commutativity and non-identity elements are used to show that there can only be one element that satisfies both conditions.

4. Can this proof be applied to other groups?

Yes, this proof can be applied to other groups, as long as they have similar properties and operations as the dihedral group of order 2n. However, the specific values and equations may differ depending on the group.

5. What are some real-world examples of where this proof can be applied?

This proof has applications in various fields such as crystallography, robotics, and coding theory. For example, in crystallography, the proof helps to understand the symmetries and transformations of crystals. In robotics, it can be used to analyze the movements and rotations of robotic arms. In coding theory, it can be used to design error-correcting codes based on the properties of dihedral groups.