Proof of a lemma of BÉZOUT’S THEOREM

In summary, the conversation discusses a lemma related to positive integers and their greatest common divisor. The lemma states that if a, b, and c are positive integers with gcd(a, b) = 1 and a | bc, then a | c. The speaker is bothered by the fact that b/s is not an integer, but this does not affect the validity of the lemma. The conversation ends with the speaker realizing their mistake and thanking the other person for their reply.
SamitC
Hi,
One silly thing is bothering me. As per one lemma, If a, b, and c are positive integers such that gcd(a, b) = 1 and a | bc, then a | c. This is intuitively obvious. i.e.
Since GCD is 1 'a' does not divide 'b'. Now, 'a' divides 'bc' so, 'a' divides 'c'. Proved.

What is bothering me is : suppose bc/a = s. Then as = bc. Thus a = (b/s) c ... (1)
Now, if c/a is an integer so is s/b. Which means b/s is not an integer. Putting this in (1) - how 'a' divides 'c'?
Thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
SamitC said:
Which means b/s is not an integer.
So what? Where does b/s appear?

Maybe it is easier to understand with a numerical example:
a=5, b=3, c=10
5 | 30 is true, 5 | 10 is true as well.
bc/a = s gives us s = 30/5 = 6.
s/b=2, and b/s=1/2 is not an integer. So what?

Likes SamitC
mfb said:
So what? Where does b/s appear?

Maybe it is easier to understand with a numerical example:
a=5, b=3, c=10
5 | 30 is true, 5 | 10 is true as well.
bc/a = s gives us s = 30/5 = 6.
s/b=2, and b/s=1/2 is not an integer. So what?

Thanks for your reply.
Sorry...don't know why i asked this question... a (s/b) = c ...i don't know why I was thinking the other way.
Anyways...thanks

1. What is Bézout's theorem?

Bézout's theorem states that for two given polynomials with complex coefficients, the greatest common divisor of the two polynomials can be expressed as a linear combination of the two polynomials. In other words, given two polynomials f(x) and g(x), there exist polynomials a(x) and b(x) such that af(x) + bg(x) = gcd(f(x), g(x)).

2. What is the proof of Bézout's lemma?

The proof of Bézout's lemma involves using the Euclidean algorithm to find the greatest common divisor of two polynomials. This algorithm allows us to iteratively divide one polynomial by the other until we reach a remainder of 0. The last non-zero remainder is then the greatest common divisor of the two polynomials.

3. How is Bézout's lemma related to Bézout's theorem?

Bézout's lemma is a special case of Bézout's theorem, where the two polynomials have a greatest common divisor of degree 0 (i.e. a constant). In other words, Bézout's lemma applies when the two polynomials have no common factors other than a constant.

4. Why is Bézout's lemma important in mathematics?

Bézout's lemma is an important result in algebra and number theory as it allows us to find the greatest common divisor of two polynomials. It also has applications in areas such as cryptography, where it can be used to find the private key in a public key encryption system.

5. Can Bézout's lemma be extended to more than two polynomials?

Yes, Bézout's lemma can be extended to any number of polynomials. This is known as Bézout's theorem, which states that for any finite set of polynomials, there exist polynomials a(x), b(x), c(x), etc. such that a(x)f(x) + b(x)g(x) + c(x)h(x) + ... = gcd(f(x), g(x), h(x), ...).