Proof by contraposition for dividing integers

In summary: Therefore, we have successfully shown that if $a$ does not divide the product of $b$ and $c$, then it also cannot divide $b$. In summary, by multiplying both sides of the original statement by $c$, we can prove the contrapositive and thus, the original statement.
tmt1
For all integers $a$, $b$, and $c$, if $a \nmid bc$, then $a \nmid b$

I need to prove this by contraposition.

I get that by definition, $b = ak$ for some integer $k$. But I don't get the following step in the textbook:

$bc = (ak)c = a(kc)$

I'm guessing there is something very obvious I'm missing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

- - - Updated - - -

tmt said:
For all integers $a$, $b$, and $c$, if $a \nmid bc$, then $a \nmid b$

I need to prove this by contraposition.

I get that by definition, $b = ak$ for some integer $k$. But I don't get the following step in the textbook:

$bc = (ak)c = a(kc)$

I'm guessing there is something very obvious I'm missing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Oh, I just got it.

We just multiply both sides by $c$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Yes, you are correct. By multiplying both sides by $c$, we are essentially showing that if $a$ does not divide $bc$, then it also cannot divide $b$. This is because the product of $a$ and $c$ is equal to the product of $b$ and some other integer $kc$. This means that $a$ and $b$ have a common factor of $c$, and since $c$ is not a factor of $a$, it cannot be a factor of $b$. Therefore, $a$ cannot divide $b$.

In mathematical terms, we can write this as $a \nmid bc \implies a \nmid b$. This is the contrapositive of the original statement, and by proving it, we have also proven the original statement.

Related to Proof by contraposition for dividing integers

What is proof by contraposition for dividing integers?

Proof by contraposition is a method of proof in mathematics that involves proving a statement by showing that the negation of the statement leads to a contradiction. In the context of dividing integers, this means proving that if the quotient of two integers is not an integer, then the original statement that the quotient is an integer must also be false.

Why is proof by contraposition useful for dividing integers?

Proof by contraposition is useful for dividing integers because it allows us to prove the statement in a more direct and efficient way. Instead of trying to prove the original statement directly, we can prove its negation, which is often easier to do. If we can show that the negation leads to a contradiction, then we know that the original statement must be true.

What are the steps for using proof by contraposition for dividing integers?

The steps for using proof by contraposition for dividing integers are:

1. Assume the negation of the original statement. In this case, it would be that the quotient of two integers is not an integer.
  2. Show that this assumption leads to a contradiction. This can be done by using basic arithmetic properties and rules.
  3. Conclude that the original statement must be true because its negation leads to a contradiction.

Can proof by contraposition be used for all statements about dividing integers?

Yes, proof by contraposition can be used for any statement about dividing integers. This is because it is a general method of proof that can be applied to any mathematical statement, as long as it follows the rules of logic and reasoning.

Are there any limitations to using proof by contraposition for dividing integers?

One limitation of proof by contraposition for dividing integers is that it can only be used for statements that involve division. It cannot be used for other operations, such as addition or multiplication. Additionally, the proof may become more complex for more complicated statements, making it less efficient than other methods of proof.