Projectile motion with baseball

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving throwing a baseball at a 45 degree angle to the horizontal, aiming at a friend who is sitting in a tree a distance h above level ground. It is shown that the two balls will collide, regardless of the initial speed of the thrown ball, as long as it is greater than a certain minimum value. The minimum speed can be expressed mathematically. The conversation also addresses conceptual difficulties, such as the impact of gravity on the thrown ball's trajectory.
ConfusedMonkey

Homework Statement

You throw a baseball at a 45 degree angle to the horizontal, aiming at a friend who's sitting in a tree a distance h above level ground At the instant you throw your ball, your friend drops another ball. (a) Show that the two balls will collide, no matter what your ball's initial speed, provided it's greater than some minimum value. (b) Find an expression for that minimum speed.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't attempted the problem mathematically yet, and I am sure I will be fine with that, but I am having trouble with it conceptually. I am assuming that the baseball I throw is meant to hit my friend, so assuming my aim is good, my ball will hit my friend, that is, it will be at a height h at some time t > 0, but if my friend drops a ball at the instant I throw my ball, then his ball is at a height less than h at the same time t that my ball is at height h. So how can the balls collide?

Physics news on Phys.org
ConfusedMonkey said:
I am assuming that the baseball I throw is meant to hit my friend, so assuming my aim is good, my ball will hit my friend, that is, it will be at a height h at some time t > 0,
I think the question is saying that you throw the ball so the initial velocity points toward your friend. If there were no gravity, the ball would travel a straight line and hit your friend. But there is gravity.

Likes Yerram Varun and ConfusedMonkey
Thanks. That makes sense.

Related to Projectile motion with baseball

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity, after being launched or thrown. In baseball, this refers to the trajectory of the ball as it is thrown by the pitcher and travels towards the batter.

2. What factors affect projectile motion in baseball?

The main factors that affect projectile motion in baseball are the initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which it is thrown, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance, wind, and spin on the ball can also have an impact on the trajectory.

3. How does the angle of release affect the distance of a baseball throw?

The angle of release, also known as the launch angle, can greatly affect the distance of a baseball throw. This is because the higher the angle, the longer the ball will stay in the air, resulting in a longer distance. However, the ideal angle for maximum distance may vary depending on other factors such as initial velocity and air resistance.

4. Does air resistance affect the trajectory of a baseball?

Yes, air resistance can have an impact on the trajectory of a baseball. This is because as the ball moves through the air, it experiences drag force from the surrounding air molecules. This force can cause the ball to slow down and deviate from its original path.

5. How is the path of a baseball calculated in projectile motion?

The path of a baseball in projectile motion can be calculated using mathematical equations such as the ballistic trajectory equation or the kinematic equations of motion. These equations use factors such as initial velocity, launch angle, and gravity to determine the position of the ball at any given time during its flight.