Collision of baseball with falling person

In summary, the two balls will collide, no matter what the initial speed of the first ball is, as long as it is greater than the minimum value of SQRT(gx)cos45.
negation

Homework Statement

You throw a baseball at a 45 degrees angle to the horizontal, aiming at a friend who's sitting in a tree a distance, h, above ground. At the instant you throw your ball, your friend drops another ball.

a) Show that the two balls will collide, no matter what your ball's initial speed, provided it's greater than some minimum value.
b) Find an expression for that minimum speed.

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I expected to provided an arbitrary initial velocity value and time, t at collision and use it to prove that the collision will occur?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
negation said:

Homework Statement

You throw a baseball at a 45 degrees angle to the horizontal, aiming at a friend who's sitting in a tree a distance, h, above ground. At the instant you throw your ball, your friend drops another ball.

a) Show that the two balls will collide, no matter what your ball's initial speed, provided it's greater than some minimum value.
b) Find an expression for that minimum speed.

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I expected to provided an arbitrary initial velocity value and time, t at collision and use it to prove that the collision will occur?
You throw the ball by aiming it directly at your friend, as if gravity is not going to change its trajectory. If he is sitting a distance h above the ground, how far away from you horizontally is he (in terms of h)? If the initial velocity of your ball is v0, can you determine the trajectory of your ball (x and y as functions of time). If he drops his ball with an initial velocity of zero, can you calculate the x and y locations of his ball as functions of time? Can you determine if the two trajectories meet at any time?

Chet

Solved for part(a)

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
You throw the ball by aiming it directly at your friend, as if gravity is not going to change its trajectory. If he is sitting a distance h above the ground, how far away from you horizontally is he (in terms of h)? If the initial velocity of your ball is v0, can you determine the trajectory of your ball (x and y as functions of time). If he drops his ball with an initial velocity of zero, can you calculate the x and y locations of his ball as functions of time? Can you determine if the two trajectories meet at any time?

Chet

I have solved for part(a)
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/65945

How should I approach part (b)?

Last edited:
negation said:
Solved for part(a)
For part b, you just have to make sure that the collision occurs above ground.

Chestermiller said:
For part b, you just have to make sure that the collision occurs above ground.

Capture.JPG

The above is my answer for part(a)

I understand. But what is the initial premise from which I must work on?

Edit: I'll try working on the assumption that at t = x/vicos45, the position of my ball must be y >0m

Last edited:
Part(b):

vi > SQRT(gx)

Related to Collision of baseball with falling person

What is the impact force of a baseball colliding with a falling person?

The impact force of a baseball colliding with a falling person depends on several factors, such as the speed of the baseball, the weight of the person, and the angle of impact. Generally, the impact force can range from 500-700 pounds, which can cause significant injury.

What are the potential injuries from a collision between a baseball and a falling person?

The potential injuries from a collision between a baseball and a falling person can vary depending on the severity of the impact. Some common injuries include bruises, concussions, broken bones, and internal organ damage. In some cases, the injuries can be life-threatening.

How can a person protect themselves from a collision with a baseball?

To protect themselves from a collision with a baseball, a person should always pay attention to their surroundings and be aware of any potential hazards. Wearing protective gear, such as helmets and padding, can also help reduce the impact force and potential injuries.

Can a baseball cause a person to fall?

Yes, a baseball can cause a person to fall if it collides with them at a high speed or in a vulnerable area, such as the head or legs. The impact force can cause the person to lose their balance and fall to the ground.

What are some safety measures that can be taken to prevent collisions between a baseball and a falling person?

Some safety measures that can be taken to prevent collisions between a baseball and a falling person include setting boundaries for playing areas, using protective barriers between players and spectators, and enforcing rules for throwing and catching the ball. It is also important for players to communicate and be aware of each other's movements to avoid collisions.