Projectile motion stone problem

In summary: Use the given angle and trig to find v0x.In summary, to solve for the height of the cliff (h), speed of the stone just before impact (vfy), and maximum height reached (H), you can use kinematics equations and vector addition. The initial velocity (v0) can be broken down into horizontal (v0x) and vertical (v0y) components using trigonometry. The speed of the stone just before impact can be found by adding the vertical component of velocity (v0y) and the acceleration due to gravity (g). The maximum height occurs when the stone has an instantaneous velocity of zero and can be found using a kinematics equation involving time, initial velocity, acceleration, and
tigerlili

Homework Statement

a stone is projected at a cliff of height h with an initial speed of 46.0 m/s directed at an angle θ0 = 65.0° above the horizontal. The stone strikes at A, 5.47 s after launching. Find (a) the height h of the cliff, (b) the speed of the stone just before impact at A, and (c) the maximum height H reached above the ground.

Homework Equations

v0x= vcostheta
v0y= vsintheta

vfy= v0y-gt

The Attempt at a Solution

first, i broke the vector up into components
v0x= 19.44
v0y= 41.69

vfy= v0y-gt

y= -1/2gt^2 +v0yt + y0

then i tried to find b) the speed of the stone

i did vfy= v0y-gt
and got -11.92
that was wrong

i'm pretty lost when it comes to the other stuff.. please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
The speed of the stone consists of both the vertical and horizontal components. After finding vfy, you have to perform a vector addition with vfx.
As with regards to the height of the cliff, just use a kinematics equation involving time, initial velocity, acceleration and displacement.
The maximum height of the stone occurs when the stone has instantaneous velocity of zero - can you see why this must be the case?

how is v0x calculated?

yes, i understand that the velocity at max height is 0 because it's the peak and the direction of the acceleration is changing

tigerlili said:
how is v0x calculated?
We're given the initial velocity's magnitude and angle. From that you can use trig to get the x and y components, i.e. v0x and v0y.

Related to Projectile motion stone problem

1. What is projectile motion and how does it relate to a stone being thrown?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown or projected into the air. It relates to a stone being thrown because the stone will follow a curved path due to the force of gravity acting on it.

2. How does the angle of projection affect the trajectory of the stone?

The angle of projection is the angle at which the stone is thrown. The trajectory of the stone will be affected by the angle of projection because it determines the initial velocity and direction of the stone. A higher angle will result in a longer flight time and a lower angle will result in a shorter flight time.

3. What other factors besides angle of projection can affect the trajectory of a thrown stone?

Other factors that can affect the trajectory of a thrown stone include the initial velocity, air resistance, and the height at which the stone is thrown. These factors can impact the distance, height, and final position of the stone.

4. How does the mass of the stone impact its projectile motion?

The mass of the stone does not have a significant impact on its projectile motion. As long as the stone is thrown with the same initial velocity and angle of projection, the mass will not affect its trajectory.

5. Can projectile motion be used to predict the landing position of a thrown stone?

Yes, projectile motion equations can be used to calculate the landing position of a thrown stone. However, this prediction may not be completely accurate due to factors such as air resistance and the stone's irregular shape.