Projectile motion stone throw problem

In summary, a projectile is launched at a cliff with an initial speed of 42m/s at an angle of 60 degrees above the horizontal. The stone strikes the cliff 5.5 seconds later. The height of the cliff is 51.8m. To calculate the maximum height reached, the initial velocity must be broken down into its x and y components, with the initial y component being equal to Vosin60. The acceleration in the y direction is always gravity, and there is no acceleration in the x direction. The maximum height reached is equal to the amount the rock travels up, plus the height of the cliff. The velocity in the x direction does not change throughout the motion. The acceleration in the y direction is
vysero
A stone is projected at a cliff of height h with an initial speed of 42m/s directed at angle=60 above the horizontal. The stone strikes at A, 5.5s after launching. Find A) the height h of the cliff, B) the speed of the stone just before impact at A, and C) the maximum height H reached above the ground.

ok so,

h= Vo(sin(60))t-1/2g(t)^2

so i have my answer for a which came out to be 51.8m

Here is where I am struggling with problem A. I only understand a small portion of why: h= Vo(sin(60))t-1/2g(t)^2

For instance why is Vo = Vo(sin(60)) ok so sin is opp/hyp the angle is 60 that gives me the length of opposite side so why is that not the answer for C?

I am obviously completely confused... help me...

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way to understand projectile is to draw a vertical component graph of velocity vs. time.
The horizontal component velocity remains constant.

The area under the curve is the total displacement.
From the drawing you will see negative area and negative area.

vysero said:
A stone is projected at a cliff of height h with an initial speed of 42m/s directed at angle=60 above the horizontal. The stone strikes at A, 5.5s after launching. Find A) the height h of the cliff, B) the speed of the stone just before impact at A, and C) the maximum height H reached above the ground.

ok so,

Here is where I am struggling with problem A. I only understand a small portion of why: h= Vo(sin(60))t-1/2g(t)^2

For instance why is Vo = Vo(sin(60)) ok so sin is opp/hyp the angle is 60 that gives me the length of opposite side so why is that not the answer for C?

well you understand at least the the initial velocity given is what's called a vector, meaning it has components (separate velocities in the x and y directions). Also a side note, it may be easier to mentally visualize these problems if you break things down and look at things in the x direction separately from the y direction.

now the equation you are using (and most of the other equations you probably have) h=Vot+.5at^2, has to be dealt with completely in the y direction. for Vo you can't just use the value of 42 m/s given because that's a combination of the x velocity and the y velocity. so the initial y velocity = Vosin60, so that goes into the equation as your Vo, t is independent of x and y direction of travel so that is easy 5.5 sec. the acceleration in that problem is obviously g which you got.

the answer you got doesn't work for part C because if you think about it, if you were to launch a rock of a cliff yourself and you were launching it not directly horizontally (meaning there is an angle) the rock would travel up before it begins traveling down. so the answer to part C would be the amount the rock traveled up + the height of the cliff. now as a clue as to figure out how far up the rock travelled, think about it completely in the vertical (y direction). The rock travels up and then what eventually happens to the velocity in the y direction?

So the cos of 60 is .866. So then .866(42) is equal to the Vo in the y direction? So then cos of 60 is 1/2 does that mean that 42(1/2) is my Vo in the x direction?

Second question, can I consider acceleration as a velocity in the x direction + a velocity in the y direction?

"so the answer to part C would be the amount the rock traveled up + the height of the cliff" what does the height of the cliff have to do with the amount the rock travels vertically? I mean say the cliff weren't there, it would still travel the same height up wouldn't it I am sure that's not what you were saying so I guess I am confused to what your trying to tell me.

vysero said:
So the cos of 60 is .866. So then .866(42) is equal to the Vo in the y direction? So then cos of 60 is 1/2 does that mean that 42(1/2) is my Vo in the x direction?

Second question, can I consider acceleration as a velocity in the x direction + a velocity in the y direction?

"so the answer to part C would be the amount the rock traveled up + the height of the cliff" what does the height of the cliff have to do with the amount the rock travels vertically? I mean say the cliff weren't there, it would still travel the same height up wouldn't it I am sure that's not what you were saying so I guess I am confused to what your trying to tell me.

for your first question you have your sin and cos backwards. Vo in the y direction is sin 60. if you draw your V initial line at an angle of 60 degrees on a graph, you will see that the y component is opposite the angle thus sin60, and the x comp is adjacent the angle thus cos 60.

acceleration is never considered a velocity, acceleration is the rate at which velocity changes NEVER CONFUSE THE TWO lol. what i think you mean is does it also have components like the velocity did? and the answer would be yes it does, but for projectile motion there isn't an acceleration in the xdirection, it is always 0 at the end of the problem if you were asked the velocity in the x direction just before the rock hit the ground it would be the exact same as the velocity in the x direction of when it was launch IT NEVER CHANGES! <--very important. acceleration in the y direction (for projectile motion) is always gravity 9.8 m/s^2.

if you were standing at the edge of a cliff 30 meters high and you through the rock straight up and it reached a height of 10 meters above your head, then began falling, but over the edge of the cliff the rock would continue falling until it reaches the ground below the cliff. so that total distance traveled would be the height of the cliff 30 meters + the 10 meters you threw the rock above your head = 40 meters, your part C is asking the max height so in this example the max height would have been 40 meters.

just one final important note about my example, (keep in mind this is completely in the y direction) when you threw the rock straight up it had an initial velocity, but eventually slowed down until it reached a velocity 0, then it turns around and falls back to the earth.

so you can solve for the height above your head in your problem by using Vf^2=Vo^2+2aΔy, your final velocity would be 0 because your solving at the point when the rock stops traveling up and begins traveling down, and your initial velocity would be your Vosin60 and you just solve for Δy. that Δy + the total height of the cliff = your max height. Hope that helps

vysero said:

ok so,

I assume point A is at the base of the cliff.

Last edited:
Sorry there must have been some confusion with the question. The question is saying I am on flat ground and throwing a rock (so to say) on top of a cliff at an angle of 60. It takes the rock 5.5sec to hit point A which is on top of the cliff little h is the height of the cliff and big H is the apex of the arc of the rock or when velocity is 0 again.

You can find vy buy using
Vy= vosinθ - gt and
Vx = vocosθ.
From these two components you can find the velocity at A.
You know the vertical component of the velocity. From that you can find H.

Sorry i didn't read it carefully.

1. It's not Vo = Vo(sin(60)) but Vy=v0Sin(60°) and Vx=v0Cos(60°)

When the stone started flying, gravity will exert a force on the stone thus changing it's velocity. Newton's 2nd Law.
In horizontal direction, ignoring air resistance, the velocity remains constant, Newton 1st. Law.

Thus we have two separate velocities thus 2 equations in x and y direction that totally independent of each other.

2. The height is totally on y direction. Nothing to do with x direction. The only common between them is the time since obviously it is a single object, exist at same location(different value in x postion and y postion) at the same time.

Last edited:
Ok let me rephrase my question:

Y-Yo = VoY(t)-1/2(g)(t)^2

This equation will give me the height of the cliff... why?

Y-Yo is the distance between Y final and Y initial how is that equal to the height of the cliff? If anything intuitively you would think this equation would somehow give me my maximum height.

Let me try and break the equation down:

VoY = velocity in the Y direction = Vo(sin(60))
t = 5.5 sec (why do I multiply my velocity in the y direction by 5.5 sec?)
-1/2(g) = -1/2(9.8) = -4.9 (why are we taking half of gravity and since we are why isn't it written like this -4.9?)
t^2 = 30.25 ( why am i multiplying by time x time, i thought we already included time?)

Last edited:
In part C you have to find H where vertical component of the velocity is zero.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity, where the only force acting on the object is the initial force that set it in motion.

2. How is projectile motion different from regular motion?

Projectile motion is different from regular motion because it involves two components of motion: horizontal and vertical. In regular motion, an object moves in a straight line, but in projectile motion, the object follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

3. What is the formula for calculating the distance traveled in projectile motion?

The formula for calculating the distance traveled in projectile motion is d = v0t + ½gt2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How do you calculate the maximum height reached in projectile motion?

The maximum height reached in projectile motion can be calculated using the formula h = (v0)2sin2(θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What factors can affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The factors that can affect the trajectory of a projectile include the initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and the force of gravity. Other external factors such as wind, air density, and surface friction can also have an impact on the trajectory of a projectile.