Projectile motion problem with components

In summary, a ball is thrown up onto a roof at an angle of 67.0° with the roof and lands 3.90 seconds later at a height of 18.0 meters. To find the horizontal distance traveled, the motion can be reversed as if on videotape. The horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity are given by v0x=vcostheta and v0y=vsintheta. However, this is not enough information and the complete kinematics equations in 2-dimensions must be used, such as d= vit + 1/2 at^2, vf= vi + at, vf^2= vi^2 + 2ad, and d= (vi +
tigerlili

Homework Statement

a ball is thrown up onto a roof, landing 3.90 s later at height h = 18.0 m above the release level. The ball's path just before landing is angled at θ = 67.0° with the roof. (a) Find the horizontal distance d it travels. (Hint: One way is to reverse the motion, as if on videotape.) What are the (b) magnitude and (c) angle (relative to the horizontal) of the ball's initial velocit

Homework Equations

i thought it was just v0x=vcostheta
v0y=vsintheta

and kinematics

The Attempt at a Solution

i really have no idea how to start this one

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "kinematics"? What you have written down is just the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity. That's not enough. Start by writing down the complete kinematics equations in 2-dimensions. Then we will have a starting point and if you don't know how to use them, we will help you along.

d= vit + 1/2 at^2

vf= vi + at

vf^2= vi^2 + 2ad

d= (vi + vf)/2 * t

but i still don't know what to do
i'm sorry, but I've been doing physics all day and my thoughts just aren't together
and it's due in like an hour and a half :/

Related to Projectile motion problem with components

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is projected into the air at an angle and then moves along a curved path under the force of gravity.

2. What are the components of projectile motion?

The components of projectile motion are the horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal component of velocity remains constant, while the vertical component changes due to the force of gravity.

3. How do you solve a projectile motion problem with components?

To solve a projectile motion problem with components, you can use the equations of motion and break down the problem into its horizontal and vertical components. Then, you can use trigonometry and algebra to solve for the unknown variables.

4. What is the difference between range and maximum height in a projectile motion problem?

Range refers to the horizontal distance covered by the projectile, while maximum height is the highest point reached by the projectile in its trajectory. Both of these quantities can be calculated using the equations of motion.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and altering its trajectory. In most basic projectile motion problems, air resistance is neglected, but in real-life scenarios, it can have a significant impact on the motion of the object.