Projectile motion Problem(Is My Ans Correct?)

In summary, an object has a velocity V1 and an angle A (Alpha) initially. Later in its path, this same object has an Angl B (Beta) and a different horizontal component of velocity. Using trigonometry, the Y component of velocity can be resolved and the time elapsed from point A to point B can be calculated.
Plutonium88
The question: An object has a Velocity V1 and an angle A (Alpha) initially. Later in its path, this same object has an Angle B (Beta)

find the time elapsed from point A to point B

Okay so i have an answer.. i just need some one to tell me if what I'm doing is correct./answer is correct.

http://postimage.org/image/xsei89eg1/

here is an image of the problem.

Okay so..

V1x = V1cosA
V1y = V1sinA

Let V2 be the variable for the second velocity.

Since horizontal component of velocity is constant through projectile motion..

V1x=V2x

V2x = v1cosA

Through trigonemtry we can resolve the Y component for V2, which i need for further calculation

TanB = V2y/V2x

V2y= V2xTanB

Now i have all i need and i can use uniform accelerated formula, to solve for The time...

Vf=Vi + gt

V2y = V1y + gt

(v2y - v1y)/g = t

Answer: t = (v1cosATanB - V1sinA)/g

or simplifieed too... V1(cosA*TanB - SinA)/g

(m/s)/(m/s^2)

= s (seconds)

Units match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Got the same thing with opposite sign - I took g to be 9.81; in your solution g = -9.81.

lol i always make taht stupid mistake.. xD.

so t= (v1cosAtanB - v1sina) /-g

t = (v1sina - v1cosAtanB )/ g

Delphi51 said:
Got the same thing with opposite sign - I took g to be 9.81; in your solution g = -9.81.
d

so using your frame of reference for the vertical component as g = 9.81 and X portion being positive in the direction of motion
v2x=v1x

TanB = -V2y/v2x

-V2y = TanB*V1cosA
v2y = -TanB*v1cosA

v2y = v1y + gt

-TanB*v1CosA = -V1SinA + Gt
T = (V1SinA - V1CosA*TanB)/g

T= V1(SinA-CosA*TanB)/g

I'm just curious for what i did in the post above, am i 'allowed' to do that..

cause i thoguht -a/b is the same thing as a/-b

? Also i prefer using your way especially when using purely variables making;
Gravity = Positive Direction

because i don't have to account for the sign, therefore i won't lose track of it.

Yes, your calculation and answer seem correct. You have used the correct equations and units, and your final answer is in seconds, which is the correct unit for time. Good job!

Related to Projectile motion Problem(Is My Ans Correct?)

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity. This type of motion is commonly seen in everyday life, such as a ball being thrown or a rocket being launched.

2. How is projectile motion calculated?

The motion of a projectile can be calculated using equations from classical mechanics, including Newton's laws of motion and the equations of motion for constant acceleration. The initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity are all factors that affect the motion of a projectile.

3. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion refers to the motion of the object in the x-direction, while the vertical component refers to the motion in the y-direction. The horizontal component is affected by the initial velocity and remains constant throughout the motion, while the vertical component is influenced by both the initial velocity and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the motion of a projectile by slowing it down. This is because as the object moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion. The magnitude of this force depends on the object's speed, surface area, and shape. In some cases, air resistance may be negligible, but in others, it can significantly alter the trajectory of a projectile.

5. What are some real-life applications of projectile motion?

Projectile motion has many real-life applications, such as in sports, military operations, and space exploration. In sports, projectile motion is used in activities such as throwing a ball or hitting a golf ball. In military operations, it is used to predict the trajectory of weapons. In space exploration, it is used to launch rockets and spacecraft into orbit.