How Do You Calculate Initial Velocity in 2D Projectile Motion?

In summary, the problem involves a diver jumping from a 3m high board into the water with a speed of 8.90 m/s and an angle of 75 degrees. The goal is to determine the initial velocity, both magnitude and direction. Using equations and assuming down as positive and up as negative, the solution is found to be V1 = 2.3 m/s and the direction is downwards. However, when considering down as negative and up as positive, the correct direction is obtained. The choice of positive and negative direction is arbitrary and does not affect the final answer.
Tronic

Homework Statement

A diver springs upward from a board that is 3m above the water. At the instant she contacts the water her speed is 8.90 m/s and her body makes an angle of 75 degrees with respect to the horizontal surface of the water. Determine her initial velocity, both magnitude and direction.

Initial velocity = V1 , Final Velocity = V2

Assuming Down as positive and up as negative
Y direction X direction
Dy = 3m. Dx = Unknown.
Ay = 9.8 Ax = 0
v2y = Sin 75 8.90 v2x = Cos 75 8.90
v1 = unknown v1x = v2x ( since there is no accelaration ! )

Homework Equations

V2^2=V1^2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

Since V1x = v2x , We do not need to calculate V1x since its already 2.3 ( cos 75 8.90 )

V2Y = ( Sin 75 8.90 ) = 8.60

V2y^2= V1y^2 + 2ad
(8.60) = V1Y^2 + (2x9.8x3)
(8.60)^2-(2x9.8x3) = V1y^2
3.89 = V1y^2

Since 3.89 is positive, it should be pointing down. But when i make a vector with y point down and x pointing to the right, after using pythagoras theorem and tan , i get the wrong degree. However, if i assume down to be as negative and up to be as positive, then my direction is correct.
I have always been told by my teachers that its upto me what i take as negative and positive. I want to know why I am not being able to get the answer when i take down as positive and up as negative. either way i get my Y value as positive whether i take positive down or up , so how do i know which one is right.

Help will really be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could someone delete this thread? I got the answer. Thanks!

Related to How Do You Calculate Initial Velocity in 2D Projectile Motion?

1. What is 2D projectile motion?

2D projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched or thrown into the air at an angle, with only the force of gravity acting on it. It moves in a curved path, known as a parabola, due to both horizontal and vertical components of its initial velocity.

2. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. To calculate it, you can use the equation: Range = (initial velocity * sin(2*launch angle))/gravity. Alternatively, you can use the formula: Range = (initial velocity)^2 * sin(2*launch angle)/gravity.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the force of gravity. Changes in these factors can alter the shape and distance of the projectile's path.

4. How does air resistance affect 2D projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can influence the motion of a projectile by slowing it down and altering its trajectory. The greater the surface area of the object, the more air resistance it will experience, causing it to slow down and fall at a steeper angle.

5. What is the difference between 2D and 3D projectile motion?

The main difference between 2D and 3D projectile motion is the number of dimensions involved. In 2D motion, the object moves in a plane and its path can be described using two coordinates (horizontal and vertical). In 3D motion, the object moves in space and its path can be described using three coordinates (x, y, and z). 2D motion is simpler to analyze and calculate, while 3D motion is more complex and involves additional variables.