Project Ideas for Classical Mechanics

In summary, the conversation revolves around a Classical mechanics course covering topics such as Euler angles, Lagrange equations, change of reference frame, two body problem, and rigid body dynamics. The class is using the Marion and Thornton text. A final project has been assigned, where students can either apply these concepts to a dynamical system or investigate variations on a problem described in a paper. The speaker has been struggling to find a suitable topic, as most applications seem too complex for the course material. They are seeking suggestions or sources for potential project ideas.
projecthelp
I am enrolled in a Classical mechanics course. The course covers topics such as Euler angles, Lagrange equations, change of reference frame, two body problem, rigid body dynamics, etc. We're using the Marion and Thornton text.

We were given a final project. We can either apply these concepts to some interesting dynamical system (i.e. robots, satellites) or find a paper describing some application and fill in the gaps/investigate a variation on the problem.

I have looked for many possible topics, but most of the applications seem way too complex and far above the material presented in class.

Anyone have any good ideas or can point me to a particular paper or source that could help? We were given very few guidelines on how to choose a topic, so basically anything goes.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump. Really need help.

Related to Project Ideas for Classical Mechanics

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and the forces that cause them to move. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation developed by Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. What are some project ideas for studying classical mechanics?

Some project ideas for studying classical mechanics could include investigating projectile motion, analyzing simple harmonic motion, or studying the conservation of energy and momentum in collisions.

3. How can I incorporate real-world applications into a project on classical mechanics?

One way to incorporate real-world applications is to choose a topic that is relevant to everyday life, such as analyzing the motion of a pendulum or designing a catapult. Additionally, you can use data from real-life experiments or simulations to support your project.

4. What materials or equipment will I need for a project on classical mechanics?

The materials and equipment needed will depend on the specific project, but some common items include rulers, stopwatches, inclined planes, and various objects for experimentation (such as balls or springs).

5. Can I use computer simulations in a project on classical mechanics?

Yes, computer simulations can be a valuable tool for studying classical mechanics. They can be used to model complex systems, visualize motion, and analyze data. Just be sure to properly cite and explain your use of simulations in your project.