Lagrange Multipliers in Classical Mechanics - exercise 1

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a skier is skiing without friction down a mountain in a specified plane. The skier's altitude is described as a function of the horizontal distance from the initial position and is subjected to gravity. The problem asks to calculate forces of constraint in relation to x and to prove that if the skier detaches from the mountain at a certain point, the function for altitude is concave at that point. The conversation also mentions using Lagrange equations and the skier's lack of knowledge in physics compared to others in their class.
mcaay

Homework Statement

The skier is skiing without friction down the mountain, being all the time in a specified plane. The skier's altitude y(x) is described as a certain defined function of parameter x, which stands for the horizontal distance of the skier from the initial position. The skier is subjected to gravity g = -g ey.

a) Calculate forces of constraint in relation to x.
b) Prove that if the skier can detach from the mountain at a point with horizontal value xod, then y''(xod) < 0, i.e. function y(x) is concave in this point.

Use first kind Lagrange equations (Lagrange multipliers).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

20171117_234623.jpg

To be honest I am completely lost. This is so abstract with not even a function given that I don't know how to specify the initial constraint equation. Normally there would be y and x in it, so I wrote f(x,y) = y - y(x) = 0, which feels weird ...

I wrote the Lagrange equations based on that weird constraint, but even if that would be good I have no idea how to get Lambda from that :(

I started doing masters in physics after finishing bachelor in mechatronics, and compared to physics students I have huge gaps in knowledge (even though classical mechanics is a 2nd year subject here).

Attachments

• 20171117_234623.jpg
    20171117_234623.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 804
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

It is preferable to type in your work rather than post pictures of your work. That way, it is much easier for helpers to quote specific parts of your work. (Posting pictures of diagrams is fine.)

I think you are on the right track, overall. The way you set up the constraint equation as ##f(x, y) = y - y(x) = 0## looks correct.

However, the equation circled below is not correct

upload_2017-11-18_15-53-49.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-18_15-53-49.png
    upload_2017-11-18_15-53-49.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 535
Likes mcaay
Hey, sorry for not responding immediately. Thanks for the tips, I think now I got it right, so I'll upload it for people who might lurk in this thread.

Sorry for the Polish comments, I wrote that the answer can not depend on dx/dt, but it can depend on Energy which is constant and on derivatives of g(x).
And in b) that when the skier detaches from the slope - there are no reaction forces, so my'' = -mg

Zad 13.png

Attachments

• Zad 13.png
    Zad 13.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,145
OK. Part (a) looks good to me. For (b) you showed that ##\ddot y(x_{od}) < 0##. Did you show that ##y''(x_{od}) < 0## ?

Likes mcaay
Oh damn! Thanks for lettng me realize it's not the same :p

This should do I think

Zad 13_2.png

Attachments

• Zad 13_2.png
    Zad 13_2.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 517
Yes. Or you could let ##\lambda = 0## in
upload_2017-11-26_11-39-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-26_11-39-54.png
    upload_2017-11-26_11-39-54.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 440
Likes mcaay
mcaay said:
Hey, sorry for not responding immediately. Thanks for the tips, I think now I got it right, so I'll upload it for people who might lurk in this thread.

Sorry for the Polish comments, I wrote that the answer can not depend on dx/dt, but it can depend on Energy which is constant and on derivatives of g(x).
And in b) that when the skier detaches from the slope - there are no reaction forces, so my'' = -mg

View attachment 215647
STOP posting images---it is against PF standards. Do what others have done: take the time and effort to type it out.

Likes Orodruin

Related to Lagrange Multipliers in Classical Mechanics - exercise 1

What is the purpose of using Lagrange multipliers in classical mechanics?

Lagrange multipliers are used in classical mechanics to find the optimal values of a set of variables that satisfy a given set of constraints. This allows for the formulation of optimization problems in a more elegant and efficient manner.

How do Lagrange multipliers work in classical mechanics?

Lagrange multipliers work by introducing a new variable, known as the multiplier, into the equations of motion. This variable is then used to incorporate the constraints into the equations, resulting in a set of equations that can be solved for the optimal values of the variables.

What are the advantages of using Lagrange multipliers in classical mechanics?

There are several advantages to using Lagrange multipliers in classical mechanics. These include simplifying the equations of motion, making it easier to solve complex problems, and allowing for the inclusion of constraints without altering the original equations.

Are there any limitations to using Lagrange multipliers in classical mechanics?

While Lagrange multipliers are a powerful tool in classical mechanics, they do have some limitations. They can only be used for systems with holonomic constraints, and they may not always lead to a unique solution.

Can Lagrange multipliers be applied to other fields besides classical mechanics?

Yes, Lagrange multipliers can be applied to other fields such as economics, engineering, and physics. They are a general optimization technique and can be used in any problem that involves maximizing or minimizing a function subject to constraints.