Looking for a numeric classical mechanics problem for project

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's confusion regarding an assignment to come up with a numeric classical mechanics problem solved by computer methods. The instructor suggests simulating the motion of a sun-earth-moon system or the tides of a sun-earth-moon system using a computer language like Python. The student expresses their lack of experience with Python and difficulty finding numeric problems online for ideas. The conversation also touches on the potential purpose of the assignment and suggests trying different search terms on Google for inspiration. The student also mentions not feeling comfortable asking the instructor for more guidance.
Mike Garlow

Homework Statement

I was recently assigned an assignment where my instructor told us to come up with an idea for a numeric classical mechanics problem that is solved by computer methods. Some ideas the instructor gave was to simulate motion of a sun-earth-moon system or simulate the tides of a sun-earth-moon system. The instructor said a project such as this would have to be completed using a computer language such as python, etc. The instructor hasn't given info besides this. [/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused on where to start. I have little experience with python (most likely not enough to write code for a computer simulation). I also am having trouble finding "numeric problems" online which might give me further ideas on the topic of my paper.
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
@Mike Garlow:

I get the feeling you haven't typed in the full problem statement. But anyway...

When someone tells you to "come up with an idea", it means "go do some research". In your case: consult textbooks, or be more tenacious and creative in hunting down Google links.

What precisely is the course you're doing? E.g., is it "classical mechanics", or "numerical methods", or... some computer science course? Knowing more of your context might enable better answers here.

As for Python, etc, sometimes this type of assignment is given to force students to acquire/improve their programming skills. Python sounded like just an example. Do you know other programming languages? In any case, it wouldn't hurt your future career to try and learn some Python, possibly by studying examples from elsewhere. You could also ask on the computing forums here about potential alternatives for that type of problem.

I also am having trouble finding "numeric problems" online which might give me further ideas on the topic of my paper.
Then you didn't try very hard. Sometimes you've got to think a bit laterally about varying the search terms in Google. E.g., try Googling numerical solutions classical mechanics which seems to give a few leads. Also trying the alternate searches suggested by Google at the bottom of the page.

BTW, I'm also curious why you felt you couldn't ask your teacher for more guidance before approaching PF?

Related to Looking for a numeric classical mechanics problem for project

1. What is the purpose of finding a numeric classical mechanics problem for a project?

The purpose of finding a numeric classical mechanics problem for a project is to apply the principles and equations of classical mechanics to solve real-world problems. This allows for a better understanding of the laws of motion and their applications in various scenarios.

2. How do I choose a suitable problem for my project?

When choosing a problem, it is important to consider your interests and the level of complexity you are comfortable with. You can also consult with your professor or classmates for suggestions and ideas.

3. What are some common examples of numerical classical mechanics problems?

Some common examples of numerical classical mechanics problems include projectile motion, circular motion, simple harmonic motion, and collisions. These can be solved using equations such as Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy, and conservation of momentum.

4. What are the steps involved in solving a numerical classical mechanics problem?

The first step is to clearly define the problem and identify the known and unknown variables. Then, using the appropriate equations, you can set up the necessary calculations and solve for the unknown quantity. Finally, it is important to check and interpret the results to ensure they make sense in the context of the problem.

5. Are there any resources available to help with finding a numerical classical mechanics problem?

Yes, there are many online resources and textbooks that provide a wide range of numerical classical mechanics problems and solutions. You can also consult with your professor or visit your school's library for additional resources. Additionally, there are software programs such as MATLAB and Mathematica that can assist with solving numerical problems.