"Programmable" Robot Maze: Possible Paths?

• Thread starter mishima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Robot
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of building wooden wall pieces similar to those used in the board game "Quoridor" for the purpose of creating a changeable maze for students' robots. The conversation also delves into the math question of how many possible paths there are on different sized boards, taking into account various constraints and limitations. It is mentioned that computer programs and certain constraints can aid in finding solutions to this problem.
mishima
There is a board game called "Quoridor" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quoridor) where you build walls in such a way that your enemy is impeded and you are helped. I would like to build some similar pieces out of wood large enough to allow my students' robots to have a "changeable" maze they could test out pathfinding and such with.

quoridorBoard.jpg

The wall pieces can only touch 2 squares (not 3). For my purposes, there can be any number of walls allowed. (in the game, each player gets 10 walls and can either move or place a wall each turn)

My math question is how many possible paths are there:
a: That lead from one side to the other with the original 81 square board.
b: On an easier to physically construct 3x6 board.
c: How to find max paths for an m x n board

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Without further limitations, there are always 0 or an infinite number of paths. You can keep moving in circles n times, for every integer n, and then go to the other side (if possible, otherwise there is no path).

I understand what you are saying. I suppose I was thinking of the path from the perspective of the environment, instead of the moving object. Let's discard loops that do not add to the progress of the object toward its goal. The robots do tend to loop multiple times in reality, but that isn't important.

"A field cannot be used twice"? In general, that will give a complicated problem, and something like backtracking is probably the best way to find all solutions.

Are there other constraints possible that might make it a more casual (scratch paper) problem? Or are there computer programs that facilitate the backtracking process?

There are computer programs, sure.
To find some number with pen&paper, you could add the requirement that moves are only allowed in specific directions (like "down" and "left"), or find some clever ways to reduce the full problem to smaller sub-problems depending on the wall positions (if there are enough walls).

1. What is a programmable robot maze?

A programmable robot maze is a physical or virtual maze that can be navigated by a programmable robot. The robot can be programmed to follow a specific path or set of instructions in order to successfully complete the maze.

2. How does a programmable robot maze work?

A programmable robot maze works by using sensors and instructions to guide the robot through the maze. The robot receives inputs from the sensors and uses its programmed instructions to make decisions on which direction to move in order to reach the end of the maze.

3. What types of robots can be used in a programmable robot maze?

There are various types of robots that can be used in a programmable robot maze, including wheeled robots, drones, and humanoid robots. The type of robot used will depend on the specific design and complexity of the maze.

4. What are the benefits of using a programmable robot maze?

A programmable robot maze can provide a hands-on learning experience in programming, problem-solving, and critical thinking. It can also help develop spatial awareness and motor skills in children and can be used for educational purposes in schools and STEM programs.

5. Are there any challenges in designing a programmable robot maze?

Designing a programmable robot maze can be challenging as it requires a balance between complexity and feasibility. The maze must be challenging enough to engage users, but not too difficult to frustrate or discourage them. Additionally, the robot must be able to successfully navigate the maze without any technical issues or malfunctions.