Micro Controller Outputs for Robot: Find Solutions Here

• Thread starter Jones1987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Micro
In summary: DaveIn summary, the conversation discusses the need for controlling multiple outputs, including DC motors, infrared scanners, and ultrasound components on a robot. The speaker initially thought they would have to build a circuit board from scratch, but discovered that a microcontroller could be implemented instead. They inquire about available hardware that can handle the needed amount of outputs, and mention some options such as the Solarbotics microcontroller and Sparkfun development board. The conversation ends with a recommendation to use a microcontroller in the AVR, PIC, or 8051 family, or to consider using an FPGA development board.
Jones1987
Hi,

I'm looking at controlling about 14-16 different outputs, 2 DC motors, 12 Infra Red scanners and 1 Ultrasound component on a robot. I assumed I would have to build a circuit board from scratch, but I have discovered you can implement a MC instead.

But, are there such pieces of hardware that allow me to hook up these amount of outputs? I've seen 8 I/O boards? But I obviously need more. So are there such components out there which consist of more ports, or is this a case of using more than 1 board.

http://www.active-robots.com/products/controllr/solarbotics-microcontroller.shtml First one, will something like this be a suitable candidate?

Be gentle, this is my first experience with electronics :D

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/36

Is just ONE example.

The Arduino series has a lot of plug-n-play options and is fairly popular.

There are TONs of Break-Out PCBs as well as development boards for most of the "popular" uControllers. Decide exactly how many I/O pins you need and what type of interface requirements; then settle on the uController, or at least a uController Family; from there, search for a PCB board or development kit. If you really want to get fancy you could use an FPGA development board and simply synthesize the uController ;-) hehe. I would stick with a uController in the AVR family, PIC family or an 8051 variant; pretty much in that order.

Fish

Related to Micro Controller Outputs for Robot: Find Solutions Here

1. What is a micro controller output for a robot?

A micro controller output for a robot is a signal or digital output from a microcontroller that controls the movement or actions of a robot. It can include signals for motor control, sensors, and other components.

2. How do I program a micro controller output for a robot?

To program a micro controller output for a robot, you will need to use a programming language and software specifically designed for microcontrollers. Some popular options include Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and PIC microcontrollers.

3. Can I control multiple outputs with one microcontroller?

Yes, most microcontrollers have multiple output pins that can be used to control different components of a robot. These outputs can be programmed to work together to control multiple functions of a robot.

4. What are some common issues with micro controller outputs for robots?

Some common issues with micro controller outputs for robots include incorrect wiring, faulty programming, and incompatible components. It is important to carefully follow instructions and troubleshoot any issues that may arise.

5. Are there any safety concerns with micro controller outputs for robots?

Yes, it is important to ensure that all components and connections are properly secured and insulated to prevent any electrical hazards. Additionally, it is important to carefully test and monitor the outputs to avoid any potential malfunctions or accidents.