Product of Sums Design Problem

In summary, the digital system (W,X,Y,Z, and f respectively) has a POS circuit with any number of inputs such that f(W,X,Y,Z) = M(0,2,4,9,13) + D(6,14). First fill in the Truth Table, then find the minimum product of sums equation using a karnaugh map, and finally draw a schematic of a minimized circuit implementing the logic using NOR Gates.
shamieh
Need someone to check my answer please.

Consider a 4 input, 1 output digital system (W,X,Y,Z, and f respectively) . Design a POS circuit with any number of inputs such that f(W,X,Y,Z) = M(0,2,4,9,13) + D(6,14). First fill in the Truth Table, then find the minimum product of sums equation using a karnaugh map, and finally draw a schematic of a minimized circuit implementing the logic using NOR Gates.My Answer: (y + z + \(\displaystyle \bar{w}\))(\(\displaystyle \bar{z}\) + w)(\(\displaystyle \bar{y}\) + \(\displaystyle \bar{w}\))

Technology news on Phys.org
I got $(w+z)(\bar{w}+y+\bar{z})$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I got $(w+z)(\bar{w}+y+\bar{z})$.

Um..how?

I grouped the four zeros in the row above the last in the bottom left.. I also grouped the four zeros and the d in the bottom right. Finally, I grouped the two zeros in the top right. I don't understand how you got that solution.

See.
View attachment 1447 Apologies in advance for the horizontal placement of my image.(Bandit)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
The product-of-maxterms notation like ΠM(0,2,4,9,13) lists rows where the function is 0, not 1 (the opposite of the sum-of-minterms notation). So, in your Karnaugh map you should flip zeros and ones.

Once again, a number, say, 6₁₀ = 110₂ denotes the minterm $xy\bar{z}$, but it denotes the maxterm $\bar{x}+\bar{y}+z$. Also, Σm(1, 2, 3) (lowercase m for "minterm"), by definition, denotes the sum of minterms 1, 2, 3, i.e., $\bar{x}\bar{y}z+\bar{x}y\bar{z}+\bar{x}yz$. This function returns 1 in rows 1, 2 and 3. Similarly, ΠM(1, 2, 3) (uppercase M for "maxterm"), by definition, denotes the product of maxterms 1, 2, 3. However, the expression now is $(x+y+\bar{z})(x+\bar{y}+z)(x+\bar{y}+\bar{z})$. This function returns 0 in rows 1, 2 and 3.

Thus, the only common thing is that both Σm(1, 2, 3) and ΠM(1, 2, 3) refer to min/maxterms 1, 2, 3. Everything else is the opposite: binary 0 in a minterm means the presence of negation, binary 0 in a maxterm means the absence of negation. Minterms are products, maxterms are sums. The function corresponding to Σm(1, 2, 3) has 1 in rows 1, 2, 3; the function corresponding to ΠM(1, 2, 3) has 0 in those rows.

See again the section in Wikipedia about indexing minterms and maxterms, as well as these slides (PDF) (the first result in Google).

I keep forgetting these conventions, so I am going to make a bookmark for this post. I recommend that you also make a note with this information.

So my $f$ should consist of these values then correct?

$f$
d
d

I see. But I believe your final answer is still incorrect. I got \(\displaystyle (y + z + w)(y + \bar{z} + \bar{w})(z + w + x)
\)
does that look correct?

shamieh said:
So my $f$ should consist of these values then correct?

$f$
d
d
Yes.

shamieh said:
I got \(\displaystyle (y + z + w)(y + \bar{z} + \bar{w})(z + w + x)\)
My expression $(w+z)(\bar{w}+y+\bar{z})$ and your \(\displaystyle (y + z + w)(y + \bar{z} + \bar{w})(z + w + x)\) are equivalent up to row 6 (0 1 1 0), where mine equals 0 and yours equals 1. But row 6 is "don't care", and my expression is shorter.

In fact, I got mine from the same http://www.ee.calpoly.edu/media/uploads/resources/KarnaughExplorer_1.html. Here is how to use it to create a minimal POS (rather than SOP) from an expression like ΠM(0, 2, 4, 9, 13) + D(6, 14). Enter it as if it is Σm(0, 2, 4, 9, 13) + D(6, 14), i.e., enter 1 in rows 0, 2, 4, 9, 13 and x in rows 6 and 14. This is the dual function to the one we need (we need 0's in rows 0, 2, etc.), but the program only knows how to group 1's in the Karnaugh map, so we have to adjust. Then take the dual of the minimal SOP it produces, i.e., switch + and * and all negations. This way you get the original function. In this example, the program produces $\bar{A}\bar{D}+A\bar{C}D$. Using $w, x, y, z$ instead of $A, B, C, D$, this is $\bar{w}\bar{z}+w\bar{y}z$. The dual of this is $(w+z)(\bar{w}+y+\bar{z})$. In any case, you can see by hovering the mouse over minterms how the program grouped 1's in the Karnaugh map.

Hint: write variables in min- and maxterms in the alphabetical order. This makes checking your answers easier.

Related to Product of Sums Design Problem

1. What is a "Product of Sums Design Problem"?

A "Product of Sums Design Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the most simplified form of a logical expression, which is made up of multiple sums and products of variables. It is commonly used in computer science and engineering for circuit design and optimization.

2. How do you approach solving a "Product of Sums Design Problem"?

The first step in solving a "Product of Sums Design Problem" is to create a truth table based on the given logical expression. Then, using Boolean algebra and the laws of logic, the expression can be simplified by combining terms and eliminating redundancies. This process is repeated until the most simplified form is achieved.

3. What is the significance of solving a "Product of Sums Design Problem"?

Solving a "Product of Sums Design Problem" allows for the creation of a more efficient and optimized logical expression, which can then be used in circuit design. This can result in cost savings, faster processing times, and improved overall performance.

4. Are there any tools or software available to assist with solving "Product of Sums Design Problems"?

Yes, there are various tools and software programs available that can assist with solving "Product of Sums Design Problems". These include Boolean algebra calculators, logic minimization software, and circuit design software.

5. What are some real-world applications of "Product of Sums Design Problems"?

"Product of Sums Design Problems" have many real-world applications, including circuit design, digital signal processing, and computer programming. They are also commonly used in telecommunications, control systems, and data compression algorithms.