Procrustes Analysis and Lagrange Multipliers

In summary: SVD decomposition. In other words, R_R_{xy}R^{T} is maximized when it is closest to R_{xy}.In summary, the problem of minimizing tr{R_{xy}R^{T}} subject to R R^{T}=I can be solved using Lagrange Multipliers by defining a Lagrangean function as in (1) and using the Frobenius Inner Product, leading to the solution given in (8).
AntsyPants
The problem:

Minimize tr{RyxR} subject to RTR=I

This problem is known as Procruses Analysis and can be solved using Lagrange Multipliers, so there's a tendency to write the following function:

L(R) = tr{RyxR} - [itex]\Lambda[/itex](RTR-I),

where [itex]\Lambda[/itex] is a matrix of Lagrange Multipliers

However, there is obviously a flaw in this, because the first parcel is a scalar, whilst the second is a square matrix.

So the question is: What is the correct form of the Lagrange equation? I'm familiar with this subject, but this example baffles me. I've searched in some mathematics books, but they only explain for scalar field subject to simpler equations.

If there's any problem with this post, let me know, please.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, AntsyPants! :smile:

It looks like you need an alternative matrix multiplication.
You need to multiply ##\Lambda## as if it's a vector with which you calculate a dot product with another matrix that is also treated as a vector.

For reference, this type of multiplication is called the Frobenius inner product.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_multiplication#Frobenius_inner_product

I'll try this tomorrow, but it will most likely give the desired result. However, why are we given such freedom of defining a new matrix product that's more suitable to the problem? Or is it that in these types of constraints this alternative product must be used?

Do you know of any references which I can study regarding this?

The only reference I have available is the wikipedia article on Lagrange multipliers.
Is has a section on "Multiple constraints".

I think it's not so much that freedom is taken of defining a new matrix product, but rather that a way is needed to write down that each equation (each matrix entry) in the constraint must be summed while multiplied with a separate multiplier.

As you can see in your equation ##\Lambda## is not multiplied, but it is considered a function.
In the text should be explained how this is intended.

Last edited:
OK I solved this, so I might as well share it with everyone else.

First of all, for convenience, I changed the constraint to R RT=I, which is completely equivalent.

So the problem is as follows:

Maximize tr{R[itex]_{xy}[/itex]R[itex]^{T}[/itex]} subject to R R[itex]^{T}[/itex]=I

The solution:

First of all, we can write the lagrangean function as

L(R) = tr{R[itex]_{xy}[/itex]R[itex]^{T}[/itex]} + [itex]\Lambda[/itex]:(R R[itex]^{T}[/itex]-I) (1),

where [itex]\Lambda[/itex] is a matrix of Lagrange Multipliers. Since each matrix entry is a constraint, we need to multiply it by the corresponding lagrange multiplier and sum it at the end, which is done by the Frobenius Inner Product, :. Keeping in mind that A:B = tr{A[itex]^{T}[/itex]B}, we can rewrite (1) as

L(R) = tr{R[itex]_{xy}[/itex]R[itex]^{T}[/itex]} + tr{[itex]\Lambda[/itex][itex]^{T}[/itex](R R[itex]^{T}[/itex]-I)} (2).

Differentiating this with respect to R and setting it to zero, we get

R[itex]_{xy}[/itex] + ([itex]\Lambda[/itex]+[itex]\Lambda[/itex][itex]^{T}[/itex])R=0
R[itex]_{xy}[/itex] = - ([itex]\Lambda[/itex]+[itex]\Lambda[/itex][itex]^{T}[/itex])R (3)

- ([itex]\Lambda[/itex]+[itex]\Lambda[/itex][itex]^{T}[/itex]) forms a new set of multipliers, which we can define as [itex]\Phi[/itex] so,

R[itex]_{xy}[/itex] = [itex]\Phi[/itex] R (4).

Therefore,

R[itex]_{xy}[/itex]R[itex]^{T}_{xy}[/itex] = [itex]\Phi[/itex] R R[itex]^{T}[/itex][itex]\Phi[/itex][itex]^{T}[/itex] = [itex]\Phi[/itex] [itex]\Phi[/itex][itex]^{T}[/itex] (5),

seeing it is now imposed R is orthogonal (R R[itex]^{T}[/itex]=I).

We can now use SVD decomposition on R[itex]_{xy}[/itex]:

R[itex]_{xy}[/itex] = U D VR[itex]^{T}[/itex] (6),

where U and V are orthogonal matrixes and D is a diagonal matrix. Using (5) we know that

[itex]\Phi[/itex] [itex]\Phi[/itex][itex]^{T}[/itex] = U D[itex]^{2}[/itex]U[itex]^{T}[/itex] (7).

This means that [itex]\Phi[/itex] = U D U[itex]^{T}[/itex]. Replacing this in (4), we obtain

U D V[itex]^{T}[/itex] = U D U[itex]^{T}[/itex] R. Therefore,

R = U V[itex]^{T}[/itex] (8).

It's now clear that R is the Orthogonal Matrix closest to R[itex]_{xy}[/itex], because (8) is the equation which minimizes the Frobenius Norm of R-R[itex]_{xy}[/itex]

Related to Procrustes Analysis and Lagrange Multipliers

1. What is Procrustes Analysis?

Procrustes analysis is a statistical method used to compare two sets of data by finding the best transformation to match the two sets as closely as possible. It is commonly used in fields such as anthropology and computer vision.

2. How does Procrustes Analysis work?

Procrustes analysis uses a mathematical algorithm to find the best transformation that minimizes the differences between the two sets of data. This is done by scaling, rotating, and translating one set of data to match the other set.

3. What are the applications of Procrustes Analysis?

Procrustes analysis has a wide range of applications, including shape analysis, image registration, and biometric identification. It is also used in fields such as linguistics, psychology, and genetics for comparing data and finding patterns.

4. What are Lagrange Multipliers and how are they used in Procrustes Analysis?

Lagrange multipliers are a mathematical tool used to optimize a function subject to a set of constraints. In Procrustes analysis, they are used to account for the constraints of the transformation, such as maintaining the scale and orientation of the data.

5. What are the limitations of Procrustes Analysis?

Procrustes analysis relies on the assumption that the two sets of data being compared are similar in shape and size. If this assumption is not met, the results may not be accurate. Additionally, Procrustes analysis does not account for outliers or missing data, which can affect the results.