Problem of the Week #177 - October 20, 2015

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, two people are discussing the benefits of yoga. One person mentions that it helps with flexibility and stress relief, while the other person adds that it also promotes mindfulness and overall well-being. They both agree that incorporating yoga into their daily routines has had a positive impact on their lives.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Let $(M,g)$ be a Riemannian manifold. A vector field $X$ on $M$ is a Killing field if the Lie derivative of $g$ along $X$ is zero, i.e., $\mathcal{L}_Xg = 0$. Show that the Lie bracket of two Killing fields on $M$ is a Killing field.

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Honorable mention goes to Kokuhaku for recognizing an Lie derivative identity which trivializes the problem. You can read my solution below.
Let $X$ and $Y$ be vector fields on $M$. Then

$$\mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]}g = [\mathcal{L}_Xg,\mathcal{L}_Yg].\tag{*}$$

This identity can be obtained by using Cartan's formula $\mathcal{L}_Z = i_Zd + di_Z$ or using local coordinate expression

$$\mathcal{L}_Z(g_{ij}dx^i\wedge dx^j) = (Zg_{ij})dx^i\wedge dx^j + g_{ij}\, d(Zx^i)\wedge dx^j + g_{ij}\, dx^i\wedge d(Zy^j).$$

With identity $(*)$ at hand, the result follows since if $X$ and $Y$ are Killing, then $$\mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]}g = [\mathcal{L}_Xg,\mathcal{L}_Yg] = [0,0] = 0.$$

and thus $[X,Y]$ is Killing.

Related to Problem of the Week #177 - October 20, 2015

1. What is the "Problem of the Week #177 - October 20, 2015"?

The "Problem of the Week #177 - October 20, 2015" is a weekly challenge that was posted on October 20, 2015, and is meant to stimulate critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Who creates the "Problem of the Week" challenges?

The "Problem of the Week" challenges are created by a team of scientists and educators who specialize in various fields of science.

3. How difficult are the "Problem of the Week" challenges?

The difficulty level of the "Problem of the Week" challenges varies, but they are designed to be challenging yet solvable for individuals with a basic understanding of science and critical thinking skills.

4. Are there any rewards for solving the "Problem of the Week" challenges?

Yes, there are rewards for solving the "Problem of the Week" challenges. These rewards can include recognition, prizes, and the satisfaction of solving a challenging problem.

5. Can anyone participate in the "Problem of the Week" challenges?

Yes, anyone with an interest in science and problem-solving can participate in the "Problem of the Week" challenges. They are open to individuals of all ages and backgrounds.