How Do You Solve This Integral for Positive Integer n?

In summary, an integral is a mathematical concept used to represent the area under a curve on a graph and solve various problems involving rates of change and accumulations. "POTW" stands for "problem of the week" and is a common term used in education. To evaluate an integral, one must determine the limits of integration and use mathematical techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. A positive integer is a whole number that is greater than zero and is represented by the symbols 1, 2, 3, and so on. Evaluating an integral for a positive integer is important in solving real-world problems and is a fundamental concept in calculus and other branches of mathematics.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
If $n$ is a positive integer, evaluate

$$\int_{0}^\infty \frac{dx}{1 + x^n}$$

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
This week’s problem was solved correctly by Opalg. Both castor28 and Ackbach receive honorable mention for handling all cases except for the $n = 2$ case correctly. Here is Opalg’s solution.
Let \(\displaystyle I_n = \int_0^\infty \frac{dx}{1+x^n}.\)

If $n=1$ then \(\displaystyle I_1 = \lim_{r\to\infty}\ln(1+x)\bigr|_0^r\), which diverges.

If $n=2$ then \(\displaystyle I_2 = \lim_{r\to\infty}\arctan x\bigr|_0^r = \frac\pi2.\)

For $n\geqslant3$, integrate the function \(\displaystyle \frac1{1+z^n}\) round a 'pizza slice' contour going from $0$ to $r$ on the real axis, then along an arc of the circle $|z|=r$ to the point $re^{2\pi i/n}$, and back along the line $\arg z = 2\pi i/n$ to $0$. Then let $r\to\infty.$

The integral along the axis is then $I_n$. The integral round the arc goes to $0$.

For the remaining segment of the contour, the substitution $z= xe^{2\pi i/n}$ converts it to \(\displaystyle -\int_0^\infty\frac{e^{2\pi i/n}}{1+x^n}dx = -e^{2\pi i/n}I_n.\)

The only singularity of \(\displaystyle \frac1{1+z^n}\) inside the contour is a simple pole at $e^{\pi i/n}$, where the residue is \(\displaystyle \frac1{n(e^{\pi i/n})^{n-1}} = \frac{-1}{ne^{-\pi i/n}}.\)

It follows from Cauchy's theorem that \(\displaystyle (1 - e^{2\pi i/n})I_n = \frac{-2\pi i}{ne^{-\pi i/n}}\), and therefore $$I_n = \frac{2\pi i}{n(e^{\pi i/n} - e^{-\pi i/n})} = \frac{2\pi i}{2ni\sin(\pi/n)} = \boxed{\frac{\pi }{n\sin(\pi/n)}}.$$

As a check, this gives the correct value when $n=2$. (When $n=1$ the denominator is zero, which sort of agrees with the fact that $I_1$ diverges.)

As a further check, it also gives the expected answer as $n\to\infty$. To see that, notice that when $n$ is very large the function \(\displaystyle \frac1{1+x^n}\) is close to $1$ when $0<x<1$, and close to $0$ when $x>1$. So the area under its graph should be close to $1$. But \(\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{\pi }{n\sin(\pi/n)} = \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{\pi }{n(\pi/n)} = 1\), as expected.

Related to How Do You Solve This Integral for Positive Integer n?

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change, total accumulations, and other mathematical applications.

2. What does "POTW" stand for?

"POTW" stands for "problem of the week." It is a common term used in educational settings to refer to a weekly problem or challenge for students to solve.

3. How do you evaluate an integral?

To evaluate an integral, you must first determine the limits of integration, or the starting and ending points on the graph. Then, you can use various mathematical techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities to solve the integral and find its value.

4. What is a positive integer?

A positive integer is a whole number that is greater than zero. It can be represented by the symbols 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and so on. In the context of this problem, n represents a positive integer that is used in the integral expression.

5. Why is it important to evaluate an integral for a positive integer?

Evaluating an integral for a positive integer can help us solve real-world problems involving rates of change, accumulations, and other mathematical applications. It is also an important concept in calculus and other branches of mathematics.