What Is the Pushforward of the Inversion Mapping at the Identity of a Lie Group?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, POTW #171 is a weekly problem posted by a website or organization for individuals to solve and submit their solutions. It can be found on the platform or website that posts it, and may require critical thinking, problem-solving, and basic knowledge in math or science. The submission process varies, and there may be a prize for the first person or team to solve it, but the main purpose is to engage individuals in problem-solving.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Let $G$ be a Lie group, and let $i : G \to G$, $i(g) = g^{-1}$, be the inversion mapping. Compute the pushforward of $i$ at the identity of $G$.
-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.
Let $e$ be the identity of $G$; let $m : G \times G \to G$ be the multiplication mapping given by $m(g,h) = gh$ for all $g,h\in G$. Let $X\in T_eG$. By linearity of the pushforward $m_{*,(e,e)}$,

$$m_{*,(e,e)}(X,i_{*,e}(X)) = m_{*,(e,e)}(X,0) + m_{*,(e,e)}(0,i_{*,e}(X)).$$

If $c(t)$ is an integral curve of $X$ starting at $e$, then $i(c(t))$ is an integral curve of $i_{*,e}(X)$ starting at $e$. Thus $(c(t),e)$ and $(e,i(c(t))$ are integral curves of $(X,0)$ and $(0,i_{*,e}(X))$, respectively, starting at $(e,e)$. Hence

$$m_{*,(e,e)}(X,0) = \frac{d}{dt}\bigg|_{t = 0} m(c(t),e) = \frac{d}{dt}\bigg|_{t = 0} c(t) = X$$

and

$$m_{*,(e,e)}(0,i_{*,e}(X)) = \frac{d}{dt}\bigg|_{t = 0} m(e,i(c(t)) = \frac{d}{dt}\bigg|_{t = 0} i(c(t)) = i_{*,e}(X).$$

This establishes the equation

$$m_{*,(e,e)}(X, i_{*,e}(X)) = X + i_{*,e}(X).$$

On the other hand, since $(c(t),i(c(t))$ is an integral curve of $(X,i_{*,e}(X))$ starting at $(e,e)$,

$$m_{*,(e,e)}(X,i_{*,e}(X)) = \frac{d}{dt}\bigg|_{t = 0} m(c(t),i(c(t)) = \frac{d}{dt}\bigg|_{t = 0} e = 0.$$

Therefore

$$0 = X + i_{*,e}(X),$$

yielding $i_{*,e}(X) = -X$. This proves that $i_{*,e}$ is given by the negative.

Related to What Is the Pushforward of the Inversion Mapping at the Identity of a Lie Group?

1. What is POTW #171?

POTW #171 stands for "Problem of the Week #171". It is a weekly problem posed by a website or organization for individuals to solve and submit their solutions.

2. Where can I find POTW #171?

POTW #171 can be found on the website or platform that posts the problem. It may also be shared on social media or other online forums.

3. Do I need any specific knowledge or skills to solve POTW #171?

The required knowledge or skills to solve POTW #171 may vary depending on the problem. However, it is common for these problems to require critical thinking, problem-solving, and basic mathematical or scientific knowledge.

4. How do I submit my solution for POTW #171?

The submission process for POTW #171 may also vary depending on the platform. Some may require you to submit your solution through a form, while others may ask you to email it or post it on a designated thread or forum.

5. Is there a prize for solving POTW #171?

The website or organization posting POTW #171 may offer a prize for the first individual or team to successfully solve the problem. However, the main purpose of these problems is usually to challenge and engage individuals in problem-solving.