Problem involving moment components and angles

In summary, the industrial robot gripper C is accidentally subjected to a 60 lb side load directed perpendicular to the joint A-link lengths AB = 22 in and BC = 18 in. The moment of the force about the center of joint A is found to be M = Fd (d is the lever arm), with an angle of 180-90-55 degrees.
Loopas
Gripper C of the industrial robot is accidentally subjected to a 60 lb side load directed perpendicular to BC (see attachment). The lengths of the robot's links are AB = 22 in and BC = 18 in. By using the moment components method, determine the moment of the force about the center of joint A.

M = Fd (d is the lever arm)3
I'm not sure what angle to use when calculating the components of the 60 lb force. Is the 60 lb force at a 140° angle with the coordinate plane given at point A? Since this is the first step of the problem, I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Attachments

• 20130924_160837.jpg
    20130924_160837.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 901
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know where you get 140 deg. from. Most right angles are 90 deg., and BC is 55 deg. above the horizontal.

The 140 degrees was referring to the direction of the force (in relation to the xy coordinate frame that's given at point A). I don't know which angles to use to calculate the force components. Would I use 55 degrees?

You want the moment calculated about A in component form. I suggest you find out what the components of the 60-lb Force are relative to the x-y axis. You know what angle BC makes with the x-axis, and the force is acting a right angles to BC.

So the correct angle would be:

180-90-55 = 35 degrees?

I think I may have just over thought this...

Take a look at the force vector. Look at the position of the arrow head relative to the opposite end of the vector. What quadrant is the arrow head in. Is that the same quadrant that an angle of 35 degrees would be in?

If these things are confusing, you can always use a protractor to check yourself. They are handy tools for this sort of work.

protractor.gif

35 should be the reference angle, which means that 145 would be the real angle, since Fx needs to be negative. Right?

That sounds about right.

Likes 1 person

Related to Problem involving moment components and angles

What is a moment component?

A moment component is a force that acts on an object, causing it to rotate around a pivot point. It is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

What are the two types of moment components?

The two types of moment components are clockwise and counterclockwise. Clockwise moments cause the object to rotate in a clockwise direction, while counterclockwise moments cause the object to rotate in a counterclockwise direction.

How do you calculate the moment of a force?

The moment of a force is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force. This distance is also known as the lever arm. The formula for moment is M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance.

What is the difference between a moment and a torque?

Moment and torque are often used interchangeably, but technically, torque is a type of moment that involves rotational motion. Moment, on the other hand, can also refer to a force that causes a linear motion. In physics, torque is typically used to describe rotational motion, while moment is used to describe both rotational and linear motion.

How do you find the angle between two moment components?

To find the angle between two moment components, you can use the law of cosines. This formula states that c² = a² + b² - 2abcosC, where c is the angle between the two moment components, a and b are the magnitudes of the two moment components, and C is the angle opposite to c. You can rearrange this formula to solve for the angle c.