Probability problem with cards

In summary: Yes, your approach to the simplified case is correct. However, in the original problem, the remaining 22 cards are distributed between player B and C, not just to player B. So the probability would be:(Binomial[2, 2]*Binomial[20, 8])/Binomial[22, 10]*Binomial[10, 2] = 15/231Binomial[10, 2] - the number of ways to choose 2 cards for player C from the remaining 10 cards Also, since the problem asks for the probability of either player B or C having the other two jacks, the final answer would be twice the above result, which is 30/231 or
natugnaro

Homework Statement

A deck of 32 Skat cards of the four colors clubs, spades, hearts, diamonds in each case ace,
king, queen, jack, ten, nine, eight, seven is randomly distributed among three players A, B, C,
each player receiving 10 cards and the remaining to cards go to the so-called Skat. Player A
received exactly 2 jacks. How large is the probability p that player B or C holds the other two
jacks in his hand?
Note: Regard most simply the relationship of the favorable (= B has exactly two jacks) to the possible
hands for players B.

The Attempt at a Solution

Two jacks can be distributed between Skat, B and C in six different ways, but only two are favorable (B hold two jacks or C holds two jacks).
Then the probability of B or C holding other two jacks is:

P=2/6=1/3

Physics news on Phys.org
natugnaro said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Two jacks can be distributed between Skat, B and C in six different ways, but only two are favorable (B hold two jacks or C holds two jacks).
Then the probability of B or C holding other two jacks is:

P=2/6=1/3
It's clear that that's the proportion of splits that are favorable, but less so that that's the probability.

Two jacks can be distributed between Skat S, player B and player C.
Therefore, there are 6 possible options:
S(11),B(0),C(0) {two jacks on Skat, player B and C don't have jacks, etc...}
S(1),B(1),C(0)
S(0),B(11),C(0)
S(0),B(1),C(1)
S(0),B(0),C(11)
S(1),B(0),C(1)

this is my sample space, and there are two favorable points (S(0),B(11),C(0)) and (S(0),B(0),C(11)),
so probability for player B or C to hold other two jacks in his hand is P=2/6=1/3.
I do not see where I'm wrong, can you explain a little more ?

natugnaro said:
I do not see where I'm wrong, can you explain a little more ?
The ratio of the number of things with a property over the total number of things is called a proportion.

Proportions have pretty much nothing to do directly with probability, except in the special case that "things" are disjoint events in a finite probability space, and each of these events has equal probability measure.

While you've correctly computed the proportion of favorable ways to assign jacks to players, you have made no attempt to argue that each such assignment occurs with equal probability in your probability space.

In fact, it turns out that they don't. (Assuming when you said "is randomly distributed" you meant that each possible deal occurs with equal probability)

Ok, a different approach then.
I'll first try to solve the simplified problem, let's say there is no player C, and the rest of the problem is the same.
After a player A has received 10 cards there are 22 cards left.
From these 22 cards, 10 go to player B, the rest goes to the Skat. The probability that player B has received 2 jacks is:

(Binomial[2, 2]*Binomial[20, 8])/Binomial[22, 10] = 15/77

Binomial[2,2] - the number of ways to choose tow jacks from two jacks
Binamial[20,8] - the number of ways to choose the rest 8 cards
Binomial[22,10] - the number of ways a player B can receive 10 cards

did I solve this simplified case good ?

Related to Probability problem with cards

1. What is the probability of drawing a spade from a standard deck of cards?

The probability of drawing a spade from a standard deck of cards is 1/4 or 25%. This is because there are 13 spades out of a total of 52 cards in a deck.

2. If I draw two cards from a deck, what is the probability that they will both be aces?

The probability of drawing two aces from a deck is 1/221 or approximately 0.45%. This is because there are 4 aces in a deck and the probability of drawing the first ace is 4/52. Then, the probability of drawing the second ace is 3/51 (since there is one less ace and one less card in the deck).

3. How many different possible combinations of cards can be drawn from a deck of 52 cards?

There are 2,598,960 possible combinations of cards that can be drawn from a deck of 52 cards. This can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / (r! * (n-r)!), where n is the total number of items (52 in this case) and r is the number of items being chosen (also 52).

4. If I have a deck of cards and draw 5 cards, what is the probability that they will all be of the same suit?

The probability of drawing 5 cards of the same suit from a deck is 1/1287 or approximately 0.08%. This can be calculated by finding the probability of drawing the first card of a particular suit (13/52) and then multiplying it by the probability of drawing the second, third, fourth, and fifth card of the same suit (12/51, 11/50, 10/49, and 9/48 respectively).

5. What is the probability of drawing a face card (jack, queen, king) from a deck of cards?

The probability of drawing a face card from a deck is 3/13 or approximately 23%. This is because there are 12 face cards (4 jacks, 4 queens, 4 kings) out of a total of 52 cards in a deck.