Probability of Random Walk and Reaching a Destination with Equal Probabilities

In summary, the probability of a drunk person moving 2 steps forward after 10 steps and eventually reaching his front door within 20 steps before collapsing is calculated using a binomial distribution for (a) and a recursive technique for (b).
marina87
Statement:
A drunk person wonders aimlessly along a path by going forward 1 step and backward 1 step with equal probabilities of ½. After 10 steps,
a) what is the probability that he has moved 2 steps forward?
b) What is the probability that he will make it to his front door within 20 steps before he collapses with the door being 6 steps in front of him.

My approach was to use Binomial in both cases:
a)10C2 (0.5)^10
b)20C6 (0.5)^20

Is that correct? I have been reading about random walk and they sometimes give another equation.
(10+2)/2=6 and thn the result is like this 10C6.
The result is not the same and then I start to have my doubts.

Can some one please tell me if my approach using binomial distribution is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain how you got a and b? a) looks like you tried to calculate the probability that out of the 10 steps he took, 2 of them were forward steps, which would result in being 8 steps backwards from his starting position

I used combinations and yes that's what I tried and how I saw it at the beginning. The probability of try 10 times and only success two times but then I had my doubts. I am not sure if I am approaching the problem in the correct form because he can move two steps backyards and then he is going to move 4 steps forward.

That's not how I read the problem. He has to end up 2 steps forward from his starting position after taking 10 steps, which means he needs 6 forward steps and 4 backwards steps (which will get you a 10C6 in the solution)As an aside, for your interpretation you do have to divide by an additional 2 to eliminate that problem

marina87 said:
Statement:
A drunk person wonders aimlessly along a path by going forward 1 step and backward 1 step with equal probabilities of ½. After 10 steps,
a) what is the probability that he has moved 2 steps forward?
b) What is the probability that he will make it to his front door within 20 steps before he collapses with the door being 6 steps in front of him.

My approach was to use Binomial in both cases:
a)10C2 (0.5)^10
b)20C6 (0.5)^20

Is that correct? I have been reading about random walk and they sometimes give another equation.
(10+2)/2=6 and thn the result is like this 10C6.
The result is not the same and then I start to have my doubts.

Can some one please tell me if my approach using binomial distribution is right?

In (a), if he takes f steps forward and b steps backward, you need f-b=2 and f+b=10. With the correct f and b, the binomial will apply.

In (b) you need to account for the fact that if he reaches the front door the walk stops; that is, the walk stops when he reaches the front door or takes 20 steps, whichever comes first. Therefore, a simple binomial will not apply.

Office_Shredder said:
That's not how I read the problem. He has to end up 2 steps forward from his starting position after taking 10 steps, which means he needs 6 forward steps and 4 backwards steps (which will get you a 10C6 in the solution)

As an aside, for your interpretation you do have to divide by an additional 2 to eliminate that problem

So I don't have the correct combination. Its not 10C2 its 10C6. That is what I obtain using
N=#steps
X=#steps forward

y=(N+X)/2 --> 10Cy I use the Y in the combinatorial.

Ray Vickson said:
In (a), if he takes f steps forward and b steps backward, you need f-b=2 and f+b=10. With the correct f and b, the binomial will apply.

In (b) you need to account for the fact that if he reaches the front door the walk stops; that is, the walk stops when he reaches the front door or takes 20 steps, whichever comes first. Therefore, a simple binomial will not apply.

@RAY I understood the first part (a) but I have breaking my head with the second part. I have been thinking in how to do this but everutime that I think that after 6 steps forward or reach position 6+ I can not get forward I stop.

Office_Shredder said:
That's not how I read the problem. He has to end up 2 steps forward from his starting position after taking 10 steps, which means he needs 6 forward steps and 4 backwards steps (which will get you a 10C6 in the solution)

As an aside, for your interpretation you do have to divide by an additional 2 to eliminate that problem

That makes sense and it fix find but I am at zero can I go to position -1? I want to understand/interpret correctly the problem.

marina87 said:
@RAY I understood the first part (a) but I have breaking my head with the second part. I have been thinking in how to do this but everutime that I think that after 6 steps forward or reach position 6+ I can not get forward I stop.

One way to get the probability is through a recursive technique. Let f(i,m) = probability of eventually reaching the door, given the man is in state i and has m possible steps left; here, "state" refers to position, so in state i he is i steps from the door. The answer you want is f(6,20). Now look at what happens in one step: from state i he goes to state i+1 or state i-1, each with probability 1/2. Thus, f(i,m) = (1/2)*f(i+1,m-1) + (1/2)*f(i-1,m-1) for i > 1. For i = 1 we have f(1,m) = (1/2) + (1/2)*f(2,m-1).

Starting from f(1,1) = 1/2, and f(i,1)=0 for i >= 2 we can get f(i,m) for all i and all m <= 20. Note that we do not need to have large values of i, since the total number of steps allowed is <= 20. In fact, the maximum number B of backward steps is given by B + 6 + B = 20, or B = 7. That means we do not need i larger than 6+B = 6+7 = 13. In other words, i <= 13 throughout.

You can fairly easily program the recursion in a spreadsheet, starting from the initial values f(1,1) = 1/2, f(i,1) = 0 for 2 <= i <= 13.

Related to Probability of Random Walk and Reaching a Destination with Equal Probabilities

1. What is a random walk?

A random walk is a mathematical model that describes the path of a random variable over a series of steps or intervals. It is a stochastic process where the outcome of each step is determined by chance and the previous steps do not affect the future outcome.

2. What are the applications of random walks?

Random walks have various applications in fields such as physics, biology, economics, and computer science. They are used to model the movement of particles in a gas, the behavior of stock prices, the spread of diseases, and the performance of algorithms, among others.

3. How is a random walk different from a normal walk?

In a normal walk, each step is taken in a predetermined direction, while in a random walk, the direction of each step is determined by chance. Additionally, a normal walk is usually finite, while a random walk can continue infinitely.

4. Can a random walk be used to predict future outcomes?

No, a random walk is a model that describes the behavior of a random variable, and its future outcomes cannot be predicted with certainty. However, it can provide insights into the possible range of outcomes and their probabilities.

5. What is the difference between a one-dimensional and a multi-dimensional random walk?

A one-dimensional random walk takes place on a straight line, where the random variable can move either left or right. In contrast, a multi-dimensional random walk takes place in a higher-dimensional space, where the random variable can move in multiple directions, such as up, down, left, or right.